Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street)
Ranked #35 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel was the perfect vacation stay. It is near wonderful restaurants (right down the alley from Charlie's Rendezvous and across the street from Huey's). It is directly across the street from the Peabody hotel which we loved for the Duck March and the shopping. This was a clean hotel with friendly staff. It is within walking distance to many attractions, especially Beale Street so ideal for those late night strolls home.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at our Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis. There's nothing better than knowing we were a part of your perfect vacation and you found our hotel location desirable, accommodations clean, and experienced southern hospitality from our staff. Thank you for staying with us and providing us great feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Spent 5 nights here early June 2013 as part of a musical pilgrimage to Memphis and Nashville. On the whole I would describe the experience as "OK".

The hotel is in an excellent location, so for example, the walk to Beale Street is only 5 minutes. The hotel itself is undergoing refurbishment, but not sure where exactly this is taking place as I didn't see any evidence of it. Why do I think it's an "OK" rather than a "GOOD" - well it's a bit shabby in place, bits are falling off the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom, the lift is a mystery with a mind of it's own (I rather thought that this aspect was a feature!), the staff are "corporately pleasant" rather than genuinely helpful.

The bedroom was fine, good beds, even as a road facing room it was quiet.

We didn't use the restaurant or the pool, but we did use the car park. Don't opt for valet parking which is an extra on top of the fee, as it is very straight-forward.

Try Huey's across the road for a drink, friendly with a good range of local beers, Automatic Slims for a great sandwich and 2.50 dollar bloody mary, and the excellent Blue Plate Cafe for breakfast.

Would I go back? Probably as it was OK.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your staying with us during your Memphis trip. We are happy you found our location convenient to all the area attractions, that our comfortable beds met your satisfaction, and your room was quiet. We do offer valet parking for $3 additional for those who would like that option, but unlike some other hotels in the area, it is not mandatory. We are currently renovating the hotel one floor at a time, so we are happy that you saw no evidence of the construction and that you were not disturbed or inconvenienced during your time with us. Maybe next time you will be able to take advantage of our restaurant and our outdoor terrace pool. We apologize if you felt our staff was not genuinely sincere in responding to your needs, and we will address this with our front desk staff.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hotel was under renovation and going to be very nice when completed. We had a great room and location was incredible! Walking distance to Beale street, about 3 blocks, and lots of window shopping along the way. Jeremey at front desk was very polite, professional and knowledgeable. Hotel just across street from Peabody hotel and a walk thru Peabody is a must. Shopping there is great as well, if you have time. But the Holiday Inn rooms are very spacious and comfortable. I would stay there again. Great bang for the bucks!

Room Tip: higher up, quieter from road noise. We stayed on 5th floor and it was just fine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and your recommendation of our Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel accommodations and location! I will be sure to share your comments regarding our front desk staff with the department manager. Please come back and stay with us again to conveniently enjoy the entertainment Memphis has to offer!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our local Harley Owner Group traveled down to Bike's on Beale on July 3rd. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select on Union. It was the perfect location, an easy three block walk to Beale St. The staff was phenomenal as well. From the group booking arrangements to the stay, the entire stay was fantastic. They even accomodated our request for a block of rooms on the same floor. I would highly recommend this hotel.

One of the best experiences I have had at a hotel in a long time. If you are traveling down as a group, Give Cindi or her staff a call. They will take great care of you.

Room Tip: The pool is on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind review and your recommendation of our property. It's always nice to hear how much someone enjoys our hotel, staff, and location! You should come back again for Bike Night on Beale! Glad you enjoyed your time in Memphis. Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure working with you on your group.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The location is great...but that is as far as I will go with the positive review.
"Select" behind Holiday Inn should represent a higher standard of stay and at the very least it should equal the price paid for the room. "Management did not get the memo"
The service was terrible, the elevators are loud, feel unsafe and they take too long. The room was unclean. the desk was very dirty and a couple of drawers from the TV stand were broken. there was no frig. The worst thing of my stay here was the bed. The bed was wore out and the pillows were flat and hard. very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: if you can stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for reviewing your experience. Obviously by your comments, our hotel did not meet your expectations. Did you express any of your issues to a manager at the hotel? I feel that if what you say you found is true one of the members of our management team would have taken care of any hotel matters immediately. Again, thank you for your review it’s always enlightening to hear people’s opinions.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was my first trip to the USA . sent a wonderful 9 days there. the staff at holiday inn down town where polite and helpful when ever we need some thing or info. the rooms where clean and beds where turned day daily. and cleaned . the best thing was the pool .after a hard day sight seeing . we where swimming at 10 or 11 at night and it was stiil bloody hot. i would go back again . i am now planing a never trip to Memphis and this hotel is just the ticket for me . it is in a prim location
just a short walk to most places
many thanks holiday inn for looking after me
Shane Collins ( Swanage England)

Room Tip: room 457 is a good room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Shane, thank you so much for staying with us during your visit to Memphis! We are looking forward to your next trip. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks about the excellent service you received to the entire staff. I'm glad you enjoyed our outdoor terrace pool as it is one of my personal favorite features of the hotel. Please contact me directly for your future reservations.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed the weekend of 6/23/2013.

The hotel is fine, I guess. Clean. People were nice. Bar food was nice. The location was nice. There were some panhandlers out front but I get the feeling there are panhandlers out front of everywhere in Memphis when there are tourists around. But. The elevators were rickety and noisy and seemed to me (caveat: I am not a professional elevator inspector) to be unsafe. I took the stairs, which is inconvenient at best since there aren't any rooms lower than the 4th floor and we were on the eighth. You could hear the elevator in our room, and since it wasn't close to the elevator I figure you can probably hear it in all the rooms. I was a busy weekend and that meant you heard a squeak squeak clunk clunk every minute or so. The hotel has to be aware of this; there were earplugs in the toiletries basket. There were signs saying to excuse their remodeling but I didn't see any actual remodeling going on so I have no idea when or if they're going to perform what seems to me to be very necessary fixes for these elevators.

Otherwise, yeah. It was nice. If you're hard of hearing and looking to up your aerobics workout, this may well be the perfect hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

We appreciate you staying with us during your Memphis trip. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations regarding the elevator service during the busy weekend and the noise you heard from the elevators. However, I'm glad that our renovations didn't disturb you during your stay with us. Thank you for your comments.