“Would not stay again”

Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street)
Ranked #32 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Parking is always full, they have tiny spaces and they charge $12. Elevators are about 100 yrs old and don't feel safe (there were signs everywhere that they were undergoing an upgrade, but we didn't see any evidence of work). Rooms are very old - carpets need to be changed; bathrooms are very small. Tried to buy a bottle of water out of vending machine; took my money - no water.

The location is good (across from peabody) and the pool is good. There is just no reason to stay here ever again.

I had to book the room last minute during a busy week so I had to pay $175 for the room which is a ripoff. If I paid less, I might feel differently

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LP1009
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. There are many times when our hotel is sold out and our parking garage is full. When this happens, we do make alternate arrangements for overflow parking which is available to our guests. In the event that additional parking is needed, we provide hotel transportation for our guests to and from the secured parking lot. I apologize if you were not made aware of this parking alternative and hope you will come back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was concerned about the hotel from the moment we were needing to park. You have to drive into this little area and wait to be directed into the parking deck area. There was a line of four cars waiting while two rude attendants stood around and talked. It also costs $12 to park per 12hrs even for hotel guests. I stayed one night and paid $24 for parking. Plus the parking area is very small and filled to the max. I drive a compact suv and had a terrible time finding a spot i could squeeze in.

The lobby of the hotel seemed nice and the customer service was fine, not good but fine. However the rooms were well below expectations. The room was not clean, stains on bed comforter, hair in bathroom. We had to request extra towels several times before they came, coffee maker did not work, and we never found an ice machine even though there was a ice bucket in the room. Vending machine wouldn't take coins just dollars.

The lobby bar lounge/restaurant is a joke. Menu is a couple food items and the bar only serves a limited beer and wine selection.

If this hotel were not 2 blocks from Beale St. it would not be in business. That is the only good point I can mention. It is also right across the street from The beautiful Peabody Hotel so every time you look out the window you can be reminded that sometimes paying a little more is worth it. I'm very thankful I was only scheduled to stay at the Holiday Inn Select one night!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marcod_13

Thank you for your recent visit and comments regarding your hotel stay. Parking at our hotel is $12 per day per vehicle, so I am not sure why you were charged an additional fee. Please kindly contact me at 901-525-5491 or via email at clewis@hisdowntownmemphis.com. I apologize if you feel the level of service from our parking attendants was not satisfactory and would like the opportunity to discuss further so your concerns can be shared with the appropriate supervisor. Additional details regarding the specific room and date you stayed with us would also be helpful. Our ice machines are located on all guest room floors with the exception of one floor. Unfortunately, the vending machines are not serviced by hotel, and you have my apology if they wouldn't take coins. I would be happy to pass along any suggestions you have for additional menu items and beverage selections for our restaurant and lounge to our restaurant manager. We value your feedback and hope to hear from you.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We meet one nice person at this hotel, the desk Clerk. Everyone else was outright rude and unwilling to assist the guest. The hotel charges you park $12 and you can seldom find a spot. My wife was forced to place our car in a spot she thought was too small, the manager says come on I park vans in that spot, needless to say I woke up to find a nice deep scratch in the bumper of her new car.

During check out we observded a older lady who had managed to get her arm stuck in a sliding glass door. Myself and 2 other guest freed her arm, her arm appeared to be broken, yet not one of four staff members went over to offer help to the lady, not to even provide direction to a medical facility

I would recommend playing the few extra dollars and staying across the street

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dave H
Reviewed July 10, 2012

WOW! Where to start . . . . .

Cons:
- Roaches
- Hookers
- Blood stains on the bed
- pubes in shower
- jacked up sink
- Paid a corporate rate of $100+/nt

Pros:
- parking garage so you don't get raped, or shanked for being downtown
- newspaper delivery to your room, so you can kill roaches
- hotel staff was friendly and supportive. When I they saw I was checking out a night earlier they asked if it was because of the room.
- no bodily harm occurred during this portion of the trip.
- Close to downtown, Mud Island, Beale St

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nate R

Thank you for your recent review. Obviously by your comments, our hotel nor the City of Memphis met your expectations. Did you express any of your issues to a manager at the hotel? I feel that if what you say you found is true that one of the members of our management team would have taken care of any hotel matters immediately. Again, thank you for your review it’s always enlightening to hear people’s opinions.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Ok, so it's the only place I've stayed (I have stayed twice, plan to stay a third time next year). It's an older hotel and the elevators SUCK, but other than that - the rooms are awesome. Great staff, onsite (though you pay for it) parking, and great location. Perfect walking distance to Beale st., just under a mile to the Civil Rights Museum and horse carriages pick up across the street for great, informational tours as the sun goes down.

Great restaurant and speedy room service!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your kind remarks regarding our hotel staff and love that you referred to us as your favorite place to stay in Memphis! (regardless of our hotel being the only place you've stayed) It means so much to us that you continue to select our hotel when you come to town! Just as a side note, we are working on our elevators. They are currently being serviced individually, and our bellman are easily accessible to assist our guests with luggage and parking. Please contact us for future reservations, and thank you again for your loyalty! We love having you here!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed here for a week in June, rooms were nice, bathroom a bit on the small side, hotel was a little dated but tidy and clean. Staff friendly. Not that keen on the safe deposit boxes being in reception, much better in rooms. Only one life working and we were on the 5th floor. Parking was a bit tight in places. Great location for Beale street within walking distance, plus Sun studions, River Boats, Gibson Guitar and Fed Ex Stadium all close by. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Billybones50
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for your reivew. We would love for you to stay with us again on your next visit to Memphis! I'm happy you enjoyed our great location, friendly staff and clean hotel. I will share with our management team your thoughts on the safe deposit box location. Again, we appreciate you staying with us and providing us with your feedback. Please contact me for future reservations.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Holiday Inn Select Memphis on Beale Street has a great location. It is right across the street from the Peabody. The hotel itself was not very clean and parking was hard to find in their parking deck. For the price we paid we should have gone across the street!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rposey6844
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for providing comments about your recent visit at the Holiday Inn Select Memphis. I'm happy that you enjoyed our hotel location. We are dedicated to providing a clean, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for our guests. Please contact me if you would like to futher discuss the details of your stay.