“Wow! Great service and food! Memphis is sooo lucky”
Review of Sweet Grass

Sweet Grass
Ranked #281 of 1,506 Restaurants in Memphis
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Young
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'm thoroughly impressed with the food and service. Went with a group and shared the charcuterie (house made and as good as Publican in Chicago), the clams/mussels and the carpaccio (better than The Palm in Nashville). I had the shrimp and grits, which sounds tired until you get to the scallops and house made sausage in it, then it becomes a different dish. Butternut squash soup was sublime. I envied another diner's HUGE locally raised strip steak. Dessert were colossal - the apple pie with bourbon ice cream was worth making some room for. Service was spot on. Memphis is lucky to have a restaurant this fine.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We live in NYC and eat at fine restaurants often. Not being a huge barbecue fan, I tried to find some other Memphis restaurants with Southern influence but no barbecue. Sweeet Grass fit the bill and stood up to some of the best restaurants we've eaten at at home. The shrimp and grits (which also includes scallops) was divine. The atmosphere is not stuffy and the crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves. The wine list is good and very reasonably priced. Beware, the desserts are huge and should be shared.

1  Thank musicgalNewYork
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It's easy to fill up on cornbread before the meal even comes out because it's so tasty! The main dishes are good for the Memphis area...although I find that most of the restaurants in town use more oil than what I'm used to.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Sweet Grass is one of our go-to restaurants when we want to have a dinner that's a little nicer than our regular haunts. Usually has wonderful service, and I like their small, medium and large plates approach to the menu. They tend to overcook fish, but everything else I have had there has been outstanding. I am particularly fond of their shrimp and grits, and their soups, especially the gaspacho in season, are very tasty.

The tables next to the bar are my least favorite -- too much traffic on both sides as the waiters whiz past and diners head back to the restrooms. Ask for a table along the wall if possible.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went here for dinner on a weekday. Ordered a couple of cocktails...they make a great Old Fashioned, btw. We ordered the clams and charcuterie to start. The clams were excellent and the charcuterie was pretty sophisticated...let's just say there was pork tongue on the plate. Very good stuff. My husband ordered a duck breast with brussel sprouts and BLEU cheese. He enjoyed it, but thought there was too much BLEU.