“Good value in cool neighborhood”
Review of Hostel Memphis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Memphis
Hostel Memphis
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Overall had a good time and would recommend it to others. Positives: Great location in Cooper-Young neighborhood, several great restaurants, a BBQ place, and a coffee house within blocks. Daily chore took 5-10 minutes (sweeping bathroom floor, disinfecting doorknobs, wiping down kitchen tables.). Liked that those easy tasks saved us $10 on the room. Always had an available bathroom and shower. Liked that there were private and communal bathrooms. Private room had individual air conditioning unit that we could control. They had bikes available to rent for $15 per day including lock and helmet (lock and chain were HEAVY, however) Wide variety of ages staying there. Quiet hours 10 pm-7am. Ample fridge and shelf space for food storage. Full kitchen. Liked that the church that hosts it is invested in the community in food, recycling, and bicycle ministries. Nice outside deck. Greenline paved bike trail was nearby.

Cons: Did not experience as much visiting and sharing experiences as at other hostels. Did not get to eat breakfast there as it was not served until 9:00 and was not ready at 9:00 one morning. Breakfast was oatmeal and/or pancakes. Living room was a bit worn and not as clean as some hostels. Java Cabana coffeehouse opens earlier, as does Stone Soup Kitchen (yum!) We felt one needed a car here. There were some areas nearby that seemed unsafe to walk and cycling was a little difficult to navigate (trying to cross busy Poplar Street was scary!) You really can't check in until 2:00 pm on the dot and someone had to let us in to get to the office.

Even with the cons, price was great, staff was accommodating, and we liked the neighborhood. Pilgrim House is worth a stay.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The location is good if you want to go to cozy places that locals go. If you're interested in going Downtown or to Beale St it is a rather long and expensive taxi ride. Public transportation is extremely limited. For what Memphis offers, it's great but can be a little inconvenient.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank eveolution
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed for one night in January in the hostel - it was a nice stay. The staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful! The dorms are not that crowded with beds, but the bed were not that comfortable! It is in a nice neighbourhood and it's no problem to park the car next to the hostel for free - it's very secure! I was glad to have my car because it's pretty far from the city.
All in all - a good stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Boumi90
Reviewed November 19, 2012

It seems like some reviewers thought they were paying $45 to stay at a luxury hotel downtown. The Pilgrim House is just what they claim to be.

First of all, I loved the part of town it's in. We walked around and enjoyed the coffee shops and stores in the neighborhood.

In the morning, there was breakfast items out. Coffee, tea, pancake batter, etc. I can't speak much for it because we never felt much like making pancakes during our stay but it was nice that it's available. There's a large kitchen area with several tables to sit and eat. Also, they have a couple computers in that room if you need to use one. Across the hall from the kitchen is a reading room with several bookshelfs full of books and games, tables & seating. There are smaller loungy areas all around as well just outside the rooms. The reading room also has a table full of travel information on Memphis and even other cities. We had a private room, which was pretty much just big enough to fit the bed and a small dressor in. There was a window a/c unit and a space heater in the room so we would be able to control the temp to our liking. Also, because we had a private room we had a key for it. That, on top of the two doors you need codes to enter to even get inside the hostel, we felt very comfortable leaving our belongings there.

Giving guests a small chore each day is genius. As a guest you save money, although if you don't feel like doing your chore you simply pay $10 more for the luxury. In all the other hostels I've stayed in there's a time period of the day where you have to be out so they can come through and clean. Here you're free to do things at your own leisure. Sleep in as long as you want, come and go as you please. By the way, our chores were simply sweeping the kitchen area floor one day and sweeping the hallway the next. No big deal.

The bathrooms had a great set up. On one side of the hall is a large shared bathroom with several showers and sinks, one toilet behind a door. That area made it nice for my husband & I to comfortably share a sink while brushing our teeth and to shower next to each other since we have just the one toiletry bag. On the other side of the hallway though is a smaller hall with I think 4 or 5 private bathrooms. All but one of these has a shower. For those who want their privacy, you've got it.

If I make it back to Memphis, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank photogirl81
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Conversing over Email, the Place seem to be just what we were looking, Upon arriving, we had to read through and sign about millions rules to do with the hostel, drinking and sorts of other rubbish.

We were then instructed we would be doing some sort of cleaning activity each day and upon questioning what this might be we got a very strange reaction. Never in my life have I paid to stay at a place and was forced to do a job or not get my deposit back.

The Desk Staff were not helpful at all in terms of public transport, either "we don't know, or we don't use it". The had maps and guides all around place, but firstly if you actually don't quite know where you are, it makes it a little hard to work things out.

The bathrooms were very clean and tidy, the one good thing about the place. The bedding was super uncomfortable. Again a plus side, bedding with extra blankets and wash towels were included, you didn't really need the extra blankets because the heat was cranked up so high during the night.

In order to get to town, it was either work out the public transport system, or get some guy to drive you round town. We opted for the driver the first day just to get our bearings. We got bombarded with Church talk and then this person decided to completely write off memphis by talking about all the crime and overweight people and the KKK, really really strange. We decided to pay more and get a normal taxi on our way back that night.

Most of the people staying there (which was less than 10) where not guests they were students, Again which raises my questions of the job you have to do....

If your desperate to save some cash in Memphis, it would be a last resort. Its a good 5 miles from the city centre, its a $15 o/w cab ride, or if you can work the bus stop out, which once we used it is only a block away, its a $1.50, but the buses run late and early also.

Couple of 1/2 decent bars around the hostel, but its really not worth it, its so far from the city centre and there is nothing to do at the hostel apart from the free WIFI.

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same, open plan, bunks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carl R
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Based on great reviews on Tripadvisor, I went to PHH. I have to say: it was very dissappointing. Staff forgot to email me the codes to the door. So when I arrived at night (there is no doorbell and nobody answered the phone...) I waited about half hour untill another guest arrived and I could go in with him. Bathrooms were dirty and the dormitory (females only) very cramped. The place is far away from the sites in Memphis. On the other hand: the hostel is cheap and the chores you have to do are light and not time consuming. All in all I will not go back there.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 180Maria
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at this hostel. I felt very comfortable and safe during my time here. A large kitchen and nice furniture gives it a very homely feel. It's in a good location with nice restaurants. The staff are very nice and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012