“Could be great with some improvements”
Review of Hostel Memphis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Memphis
Hostel Memphis
Tyler, TX
“Could be great with some improvements”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here as part of a 30 day rail journey. The staff were all great and did the best to accommodate.

I was given a handicap room-hospital bed( slept great though!) the floor was dusty so I moped it with my towel following my shower.

The furniture was dusty

The dance studio and meetings went over late and kept up noise, yet for $15 a night I would suck it all up, do my own cleaning and stay again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Grettasmith

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vancouver
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights - one night in the dorm and the 2nd night in a private room. Typically, when we stay in hostels we try and get privates, but in this case the dorm was just fine and we would of been perfectly happy staying there.

The hostel is located in a nice part of town. We did a lot of walking around the residential neighborhood and it was central also for driving around the city. Transit is pretty well non-existent.

The hostel was located on the top floor of a large older building. it had a great big kitchen area, and another quieter area with couches and tv. The bathrooms were fine, the beds comfortable. Nice big hallways; you really feel like there is lots of room and you can move around freely and say "hi" to everyone. Access was 24 hours with a coded lock.

Staff are a big plus here, very friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around.

Memphis was a great two day visit. Loved it. The Martin Luther King musuem is a must see.

Room Tip: If you get a private room, ask for one that is not located in a dorm room. That way you don't h...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peter.craig
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Pilgrim house is a hostel in midtown Memphis with a great staff a good bit of personality. It's in Cooper Young, which is a great little neighborhood with interesting restaurants and shops. My friends and I stay in the hostel every year when we go to Memphis for the Beale St music festival . The hostel is about a ten minute cab ride to Beale street. Most hotels near Beale are booked very early and aren't cheap, while the hostel is $15 a person per night or $30 for a private room for one person. There is a $10 deposit, and the hostel does ask each guest to perform one task per day, such as maybe sweeping your room or wiping off the kitchen counter in order to get your deposit back. The hostel itself is fairly quiet, so if you're looking for a party place, this isn't the place for you. We party on Beale street and head to the hostel when we are ready for a quiet place to sleep. It's clean, unique, and provides at atmosphere to mingle with other travelers as well. Definitely worth more than the price you pay!

Room Tip: If you worry about other guests snoring or being loud simply get a private room, it's very inexp...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank midnight_sk8r
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I came to Memphis not really knowing what to expect, but I left knowing that I had stayed in one of America's nicest hostels. Pilgrim House is like living in a tiny, self-contained community, where everybody chips in to keep the place tidy, and you are guaranteed to strike up conversation with a whole host of fellow travellers. The staff are young and enthusiastic, everything is clean - they bleached the shower curtains during my stay - and they serve up free pancakes in the mornings. Local events are posted up on a whiteboard everyday, and thjey have the best library I've seen in a hotel, which you can browse freely.

My one levelling comment would be that this place is not near downtown Memphis. A taxi ride costs around $15, and it really is not walkable. However, if you have a car the location is no problem at all, and, in fact, the Cooper-Young district is kinda hip, and the locals are curious to find travellers in their midst.

So, to summarise, this place exceeded my expectations with its friendly, communal atmosphere. Those looking for a place to lay their heads, away from the identikit downtown hotels, are on to a sure-fire winner here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank EnglishVagabond
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I'm so glad we found this place! It was a great bargain and allowed us to save money to spend at Graceland (which is worth going to, even if you're not an Elvis fan, but is a little pricey). My boyfriend and I stayed one night and we got a private room. The bed wasn't very comfortable but the sheets were clean and you can't beat the price. The room we booked could sleep three with a bunk bed that was a full-size mattress on the bottom and twin on top. The bed creaked and we could hear people outside the room, but it was quiet enough that we slept just fine. There's wireless throughout the hostel, and it looked like they have computers you can use if you don't have any wireless devices wih you. To get your small deposit back you have to do a simple chore, and ours was cleaning doorknobs, which we did when we got back from Beale Street around midnight. You can do your chore late in the evening or before checkout in the morning. Don't expect a full-service hotel but this place is great for budget-conscious travelers who want to stay in a clean place with friendly staff in a very cool neighborhood. They have a whole row of private bathrooms, so you don't have to worry about dorm-style shower stalls. Try Java Cabana down the street if you're looking for a hip coffee shop!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hostel is amazing. At first I was unsure driving through the outskirts of Memphis, but the hostel is nestled in a great neighborhood. The whole place is filled with interesting little restaurants, shops and bars, truly for any price level.

Zach greeted us at the hostel and not only made us feel welcome, but gave us truly excellent advice and information. The room we stayed in was well kept, multiple common rooms had various degrees of coziness, and the book exchange is always something welcomed to my eyes. This was a hostel that truly had anything and everything I could want from it.

The chores requested are not anything that will ruin your day and generally keep guests from messing the place up (as is often the case in hostels). We encountered the rest of the staff and they were all friendly with various interesting stories. Breakfast provided was great and this is probably the most well equipped kitchen I've ever seen.

Bravo Pilgrim House, I've stayed in hostels in many countries and I can say that you are one of the best

• Stayed May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I am 50ish and booked a private room for several days as I did not want to spend all my money on hotel. I was very comfortable here, saw other people my age as well as young people. There are private bathrooms. It is run by the First Congregational Church so people can afford to visit Memphis. NO BEDBUGS or any such like. In hip Cooper Young neighborhood where locals hang out, recently profiled in New York Times. Walk to Central Barbecue. Good food and clubs nearby. Not near any of the big sites but at 30 a night I could afford taxis. There is a housecat. Comfortable, spacious dining and living room areas, great library.

Room Tip: Email them, then follow up with a call.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo