“Great choice”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The staff was very friendly & engaging. After eating here we understand WHY the south is known for it's great food! The gumbo was fantastic, the ribs were delicious, and the warm apple dumpling with ice cream for desert was out of this world. Don't miss this restaurant on your visit to Memphis.

There are newer reviews for Blue Plate Cafe Downtown

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We waited in line for 20 minutes to get a table and it was well worth it! The biscuits & gravy were outstanding, the pancakes were made from scratch, and the omelets huge. Lots of locals were eating there, which is a great endorsement.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I wanted to love the Blue Plate Cafe because it has a great downtown location, just off Main Street and the atmosphere is very cheery. I found that the food was very average, though. My husband had a cheese omelet, but the cheese wasn't melted. I had the Eggs Florentine with Mornay sauce, but the sauce seemed like the gravy you get on bisquits in the south...not at all like Mornay. My poached eggs were hard...not runny like they should have been.

The service was good and the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The portions are huge! Our server was very attentive.... We ordered the famous biscuits and we were not disappointed. The apple cinnamon waffle has fresh apple sauce on the side. My husband ordered the banana pancakes with peanut butter,they were simply delicious and fresh, soooooo good!!!!!!!!!
Overall a great experience. The bad: the seats were in bad shape, the atmosphere was too quiet. Is also a bit pricey but worth it.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Our Thanksgiving travels had an overnight in Memphis. I asked the girl at the front desk upon check out for a good "local" place for breakfast. She didn't hesitate with her response. Charming little restaurant. I have to say my family was more than pleased with each of their selections. The portions were more than satisfying and delicious. The biscuits...ohhhhhh the biscuits were fabulous and this places knows how to make sawmill gravy. Best I have ever had. If we are fortunate enough to be in Memphis again, this will be our destination.

1  Thank bigolepig