“Excellent Breakfast”

Blue Plate Cafe Downtown
Ranked #18 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
bigolepig
“Excellent Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Our Thanksgiving travels had an overnight in Memphis. I asked the girl at the front desk upon check out for a good "local" place for breakfast. She didn't hesitate with her response. Charming little restaurant. I have to say my family was more than pleased with each of their selections. The portions were more than satisfying and delicious. The biscuits...ohhhhhh the biscuits were fabulous and this places knows how to make sawmill gravy. Best I have ever had. If we are fortunate enough to be in Memphis again, this will be our destination.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank bigolepig

Memphis, Tennessee
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I took my mother, stepfather, brother and his family who were visiting. We had never been to the Blue Plate Downtown and I can safely say we will not be going again. It took more than 45 minutes to even place our orders. We were ready to walk out a few times but someone ran over and assured that our server was coming soon. We were told our server was upstairs serving a private party of 20 or more. WTH?! Could they not assign another server to her tables downstairs? If I had it to do over again, I would not have allowed us to stay. That's a ridiculous reason to keep customers waiting. Finally, they sent another server to start taking our orders. However, she was apparently new and had a hard time. It was then nearly another 45 minutes before we were served by the server from upstairs. The food was very good, but we could not appreciate it because we were so annoyed. Added to all of that, parking is not convenient. We had to park nearly two blocks away due to the downtown location and virtually no parking. Btw, the photo of the bright yellow building is not of the Downtown location - I believe it's the Poplar Avenue location.

Visited March 2012
Bay Village, Ohio
“A Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Simple, old-style decor. Gracious, friendly service. Fantastic southern cooking. The fried chicken salad we good and not entirely unhealthy. Great cornbread and biscuits. I'll go back whenever I'm in Memphis.

Colleyville, TX
“Superlative Breakfast in downtown Memphis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Blue Plate does not shortchange you on anything. We started with a full mug of juice. My wife's breakfast had plenty of nuts in the 3 huge light and fluffy butter pecan pancakes, served with a small pitcher of warm maple syrup. I opted for a ham and cheddar omelet. It was at least a 3 egg version filled with plenty of ham chunks. This came with terrific homemade home fries and my choice of another side. I chose biscuits instead of toast and these came with what tasted like homemade sausage gravy. A real winner for both of us. Had we stayed another day in Memphis we would have eaten here again. Opens at 8 am so plan accordingly.

Visited November 2012
Charlotte
“Great Flashback”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Hadn't been in Memphis since I started using TripAdvisor. Here for quick stay last minute. Hotel suggested another place for breakfast. I found the place but area flashed back and I followed my memory to Blue Plate.
I most remembered it for catfish nugget basket. Great portion and taste. But about to recall what i liked about breakfast.
Now having eggs Benedict, cheese grits with biscuits n gravy. Technically I should've had pancakes to offset the muffin... and regular grits to minimize cholesterol intake. I don't do healthy reviews.
Of course expectation can ruin a meal. Grits were not hot enough. But it's great when you meet someone named Katrina and she's got good energy. She graciously replaced.
Burp n enjoy. "-)