“Leave the driving to them!”
Review of Backbeat Tours

Backbeat Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Memphis Discovery Tour including Rock and Soul...
Ranked #6 of 31 Tours in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Backbeat Tours offers a variety of different ways to see and experience the best of Memphis, including sightseeing bus tours and walking tours such as the popular Memphis Ghost Tour in the evenings and the Memphis History Tour in the daytime. Our Memphis Mojo Tour -- the city's only live music tour -- is the most entertaining way of experiencing the best of Memphis!
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and guide through Memphis visiting all the sights that are there and are significant. Our guide and Performer did a great job of adding fun and great information to the experience. Live music while visiting Beale street, Sun Studio (drive by) Overton Park, Peabody Hotel (where the ducks rule supreme), Lorraine Motel and other significant places. It gives one direction and information about the significance of these places. History and songs mixed in. There are several musicians who play music and guide these tours. It is not a get out and walk tour; it is a sit and enjoy the experience situation.

All reviews
"sun studio tour"
in 29 reviews
"soul museum"
in 30 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 13 reviews
in 35 reviews
"beale street"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This is a unique and creative way to tour Memphis. Not only do you learn about famous musicians you can hear one of their songs while singing along and playing tambourine. You get to see many of the attractions listed on TripAdvisor so its a great way to start a visit.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My friend and I did one of the walking ghost tours. Was a lot of fun! A few really creepy stories and a few interesting ones too. Our guide was energetic and told the stories well and kept us all involved in the tour. I definitely recommend this experience!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed February 1, 2014

With a limited amount of time in Memphis and a lot to see, we decided to take a tour to make the most of the time we had. We have done a number of tours in other cities that kept you confined to a bus and put you to sleep with either a prerecorded guide or a monotone “live” person and didn’t want to have another one of those experiences. We were intrigued by the idea of having a tour given by a guide that gave you information as well as would break into song. Upon further inspection, we found The Discovery Tour by this company that took in more of the sights that we wanted to see and actually stopped at a few of them. We thought this would be a better choice, as we could get out and stretch our legs and see more than just a fleeting glimpse of them. This came at the expense of the singing guide, however.

The tour starts in front of the storefront where they sell tickets for the tour. After being engaged in conversation by one of the local indigents and being pressured by him to purchase a crushed flower from him, the tour began. I don’t believe this was part of the tour, but beware that by being camped out in front of this place, you are clearly marking yourself as a tourist and thereby set yourself up for this type of intrusion.

There were only a handful of people on this particular tour, so there was no concern about being stuck on a side of the bus and not seeing things that were on the other side. Our guide, Rachel, was a local girl, so she had a good knowledge of the local history and it's people, but was a bit young and at times seemed more interested in the texts on her smartphone than the job she was supposed to be doing. This is only my assumption; she could have just been keeping an eye on time, as I can say I never saw her actually typing a text. It just seemed a bit rude to be checking it all the time, like we were imposing on her time. I do have to say that she did answer every question that was asked and didn’t discourage people from asking them.

The tour did stop at several places, such as the Lorraine Motel, where MLK Jr. was assassinated; Central BBQ (where you get to sample Memphis BBQ); the Rock-n-Soul Museum; Lansky Bros.; and the Peabody Hotel. Sprinkled in between these stops were about a dozen other sites.

The price of the tour wasn’t too outrageous when you consider you get entrance into the museum and food at the restaurant in addition to transportation and the guide. I think if I had to do it again, I might pick the other tour, as the idea of the singing guide intrigues me. This certainly wasn’t an unpleasant experience, however.