“A Wonderful Meal at a Memorable Restaurant”
Review of Restaurant Iris

Restaurant Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,527 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I dined at Restaurant Iris on a quiet week night and enjoyed attentive, yet unobtrusive service from our waitperson throughout the meal. She patiently answered our questions about the menu and suggested appropriate wine choices without the least bit of condescension for our obvious lack of sophistication.

Our meal was excellent from start to finish. I had the lobster knuckle appetizer, tender lobster claw meat on bruschetta with a delicious tarragon sauce. My wife ordered a brussel spout and bacon appetizer, which would not have been my choice, but she raved about it. My entree of scallops and caramelized corn in a delicate sherry sauce was superb. The large, juicy scallops were cooked to perfection. Her Kobe flank steak and Indian spiced veggies in mint pesto and spicy butter sauces had her raving about the perfectly balanced taste combination.

For dessert, my bread pudding with caramel sauce, candied pecans and ice cream, was indescribably delicious. My wife opted for the more pedestrian choice of homemade cookies and three flavors of ice cream, which she nevertheless enjoyed. The entire evening was a wonderful and memorable experience.

2  Thank Peter C

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We selected this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews. In our opinion, we'd have to say Trip Advisor was wrong this time.
We arrived about 20 minutes late because the traffic was much worse than we expected. Our GPS had said it was about 8 miles & 15 minutes from our hotel so we allowed 20 minutes and it took us around 40-45 minutes to get there. On top of the heavy traffic we encountered we couldn't find it right away. So when we walked in the door & introduced ourselves, we were told they had put us down as a no-show. Our original reservations were at 6, but I changed them on Open Table that afternoon to 5 pm. I called the restaurant and left them a message advising them of the change & gave them our #. Anyway, we found the manager/waitress who "greeted" us as rude. We apologized for being late & explained the reason. She asked if we could eat in less than 2 hours because she said that is what you normally need there & we said we could. She said another couple was coming in at 7 & we'd have to be out of our table by then. I said we had reservations at 6 & had changed them a short while ago to 5. She said, you weren't at that table. We didn't care where we sat so we felt her words were totally unnecessary and started our experience off on the wrong foot.
Because we had to be done with the table by 7 we couldn't have the tasting menu because you need 2 hours. I ordered the four gras & my husband had the lobster knuckle as our appetizers; both were excellent! I ordered the raviolo beef short rib appetizer & hubby had the surf & turf. The raviolo was supposed to be in a brown butter sauce, but it tasted to be like a beef reduction & was just too heavy and overpowering. The beef filet was a pretty big portion of meet, but unfortunately came with the fat on top. I'm sure this was deliberate to use the fat to flavor the meat, but not sure the fat was necessary. The meat was cooked perfectly and so was the lobster. For dessert, we shared the brown sugar pie. I asked what it was and our waitress told us it was pecan pie without the pecans. It was served in a small round tart and had a heavy crust (not flaky) and the filling only came up 1/2 way up the crust so maybe 1/2" of filling. It was not served warm and tasted like it was old. The sugar in the filling was a light brown and was still granular so wasn't caramelized. My suspicion was the tart/crust was made separately and the filling was just poured in and not baked together. We told our waitress it wasn't good and to her credit she didn't charge us for it and didn't tell us she had taken it off our bill.
I do want to mention we had great service by our waitress. The homemade bread is really great.
We would not return to this restaurant because the food isn't consistently outstanding.

2  Thank Crazydukefan
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The best in Memphis. It just is. We had Seafood Three Ways (app), brussel sprout (salad), veal (main), scallops (main) and the Mississippi Mud dessert. Everything was delicious. The veal dish was the most interesting dish I've ever had (and that's saying something because I usually go out of my way to try the 'weird dish'). I can't say that I totally got the anchovies on top and enjoyed the dish even more without them so I moved them to the side. Everything was delicious, the service was great and the price is actually reasonable for what you get. Make reservations as it books up in advance.

1  Thank orionrebel21
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Restaurant Iris is located in an elegant house built in 1907 that has been converted into a restaurant. Atmosphere is white table cloth, but informal. There's a good bar that whips up a mean Sazerac cocktail, highly recommended. We enjoyed our appetizers of seafood three ways and beef marrow. Scallops with roasted corn were done perfectly, but my rack of lamb was served with a vinegary barbecue sauce that overpowered the dish. The waitress claimed that it was a sauce bordelaise, but if so the wine had turned to vinegar. We enjoyed the final courses of bread pudding and well selected cheeses. The wine list has some very good choices at reasonable prices. We enjoyed a Silver Palm cabernet for under $40. I'll forgive the misstep with the rack of lamb since everything else was excellent. Restaurant Iris an excellent place for a romantic celebration.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Restaurant Iris provides a one-of-a-kind dining experience. The food is fantastic and worth every dollar! The menu is always fresh and creative, so every dining experience is new!

1  Thank Rebecca W

Been to Restaurant Iris? Share your experiences!