“They had me at the fleur de lis”
Review of Restaurant Iris

Restaurant Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 1,498 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm from Louisville, KY originally which boasts the fleur-de-lis as its symbol (sorry New Orleans, it's not just identified with you). The setting for this restaurant is a charming old home in a residential area of Memphis, just two doors down from a busy street, so it's not hard to find. We were seated in a cozy little dining room with 4 tables and our server was fantastic. I wish I had gotten her name, because she was so very good at her job and she was fun. We ordered a round of cocktails that were made to our specifications. My husband ordered a Pimm's Cup, which is actually on their cocktail menu, and he said it was the best Pimm's Cup, he'd ever had. Our server explained the menu for us backwards & forwards and told us we could order a la carte off the 3 course menu. For appetizers we ordered the Blueberry Foie Gras, the bone marrow (from the 3 course menu) and their variation of a lobster roll. They were all delicious and beautiful, but the foie gras was our favorite and the marrow and close second. For the entree round, I ordered the raviolo with a dish of brussel sprouts. My friend ordered the fluke and my husband ordered the duck breast. All were exceptional. The Executive Chef came out to ask us how our meal was, and was seen hanging out in the restaurant later making sure everyone was happy. I overheard him talking to a couple from New Orleans and he seemed very personable & down to earth. He even helped me find my way to the restroom, when I walked down the dim hallway to a find a series of unmarked doors. Even the bathroom in this place was charming! For dessert we shared a Mississippi Mud for dessert topped with homemade marshmellow and a side of nutty ice cream. This certainly won't be a meal we'll forget any time soon.

3  Thank theREALmle

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Iris is one of the best (if not the best) in Memphis, and chef Kelly English wins all kinds of awards. The food and service are consistently excellent and I have never been disappointed. One night, the power went out just as our dessert came to the table, so our waiter rounded up all the candles in the restaurant and turned what could have been an uncomfortable end to the evening into a very romantic one! For a special occasion, this should be at the top of your list. I would suggest sitting on the patio if the weather is nice. You feel like you're in another city.

3  Thank Whitney B
Reviewed November 28, 2012

It is very intimate and cozy (situated in an older home). The service is impeccable and the food incredible. It is pricey but well worth a once in a year splurge!

2  Thank TaylorMemphis_TN
Reviewed November 19, 2012

You simply can't appreciate good food until it crosses your lips. That's how I feel about this experience. I've had great food before, but there are people in the world who say they can't justify spending that kind of cash on a meal. Please... if you're one of those people... TRY it. it's a whole new world!

We went here for our wedding anniversary and every aspect was taken care of. We wanted to get a pre-dinner drink but were advised to try next door because they just have three bar stools. That's ok, no worries!

This place is literally in an old home. The floors creek, there are tight hallways, and we LOVED it. You park across the street in a realty company parking lot because that's all there is. AND WE LOVED IT. Ha!

Service was wonderful and our waiter knew the menu inside and out. I even got a personal phone call prior to our arrival just to make sure everything was in order. Amazing.

We brought our own bottle of wine which, because we try to watch pennies where we can, only cost $17 for corkage. That way we could have a good wine but not spend $60 on it. We never felt like we were being looked down on because of it and it was immediatly opened and poured. Class.

We had three courses each with an appitizer, salad, and main course. I had the duck which was the best i'd ever had. Really tasted like bacon! can't describe it, but what's not to like about that?

Also loved the buttermilk cake with house made lemon ice cream. Everything had a special touch and even the foods (tomatoes) that I tend to have an aversion to, I gladly cleaned off my plate.

the bread was made in house. Heck, everything was made in house. You simply can't get a better quality meal anywhere. can't wait to return!

4  Thank mtsublueraider
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The service and attention were wonderful and our dinners were delicious for our 45th anniversary celebration. We noticed a bridal party there which brought back memories.

Been to Restaurant Iris? Share your experiences!