“Nice hotel”

Ranked #32 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Tuttle, Oklahoma, United States
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent location, right off of I-40, with a great view of the river & bridge. Very friendly service & clean hotel. It wasn't as close to night life as some other hotels downtown. The rooms were good sized with a mini fridge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawhn C
CourtyardMemDowntown, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your stay. Hope to see you again on your next trip to Memphis!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 23, 2013

First the good: Located downtown, walking distance to the Courthouse, parks along the Mississippi River, and several good restaurants, this Courtyard welcomes visitors with a spacious, attractive lobby and a very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are of good size with comfortable beds, desk, love seat, good lighting, etc.

The not-so-good: room-darkening shade doesn't quite cover the window (3-4 inches too short), so lights from Main Street and early morning dawn pierce the darkness I need for sleep. On my visit, two towels were frayed and coming apart at seams. The bathmat I used after a shower disappeared after housekeeping cleaned and was not replaced for the next day; similarly, the coffee I brewed in the in-room pot was still there the next morning.

A potential deal-breaker if it happens again: wireless internet service was incredibly slow, often with a very weak signal: not sure if this is an aberration or a function of a 5th floor room at the end of a hall, but I had to leave the room twice in order to get and keep a signal for more than a few minutes at a time.

Note: Beware of the Bistro food: this rating does not reflect the poor quality of the food here. It's an appealing space that I wanted to love: it's good to be able to enjoy a glass of wine after a late flight and to have healthy food options listed complete with calorie counts. BUT after studying the menu and asking the servers about two appetizers under 400 calories, I ordered the tomato mozzarella flat bread. It came with a greasy oil slick atop semi-coagulated globs of cheese and large slices of mushy pink tomatoes (this at the height of fresh tomato season) - could only eat less than half and then felt slightly sick. A similar experience happened the next morning with the "healthy start" breakfast sandwich, also a greasy, soggy mess. For the next two mornings I stepped across the street to Subway, where I had a great cup of coffee and an English muffin made to order with egg whites, low-fat black forest ham, fresh spinach , lettuce, and onions and a modest but satisfactory amount of cheddar cheese, all for less than $3.00: less than 30% of the cost of the greasy breakfast sandwich and coffee in the Bistro.
A continuing disappointment: Gold status with Hilton offers me a complementary full, cooked-to-order breakfast with fresh fruit and healthy options at Hilton Garden Inns, while Courtyard by Marriott requires guests with gold status to purchase an overpriced, sub-standard breakfast or go elsewhere, which is what I highly recommend, having now sampled food at three different Courtyard by Marriott Bistros.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor if it overlooks Main Street, as many rooms do.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MartsoSwan
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. We value these comments and will use the feedback to correct the housekeeping and restaurant issues you mentioned.
Smithfield
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My business takes me to a number of different cities. I have a bias for Marriott, and usually stay at one of their related properties. In the past two years, a number of trips have been made to Memphis and I have had opportunities to stay at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown. It has proven to be a positive experience at what I consider to be consistently the best Courtyard that I have visited in the Country.
The maintenance of normal Marriott standards for cleanliness, design, etc. are evident at this location but what makes it a standout is the staff. From the friendliness of housekeeping to the problem solving skills of the front desk, this is an excellent hotel. One specific that made the last visit exceptional is related to the hotel's billing department. Upon returning home, I noticed a discrepancy on my credit card bill The staff was very professional about this issue and voluntarily contacted another hotel on my behalf to correct what was apparently a booking error. The matter was corrected within a matter of hours. In today's world, its nice to have a hotel that consistently demonstrates that they want to maintain your business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Theroadtrip
CourtyardMemDowntown, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and it was lovely. Had to be in town for business so why not stay where the action is. The hotel was quiet and clean. Housekeeping was professional and made sure I was well stocked with everything. You can always use extra towels. There was a refrigerator in the room and the view was good too.

The location is central to everything downtown. You can walk so you don't need a car to get to the restaurants, bars, clubs, and Beale Street. Also its far enough away you don't hear the nightlife crowd. The NBA tournament was in town several days and the area was wild and full of life and I slept like a baby. If you do have a car the hotel valet parking price is average for the area but you will see a parking tax on your bill also.

Overall it was great and I can't wait to stay there again on my return to Memphis.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NavyMike89
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thanks for your stay with us. We know you have a choice when booking your reservations and we are glad you chose to stay downtown where the action is! Hope to see you on your next trip to Memphis.
MO Ozarks
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We did not have a reservation, but was able to get a room. The two men at valet parking were very helpful. I mentioned to them that my mother did not bring her wheel chair and one of the men offered to go to the other motel and get one, if available. Fifteen minutes later he was back with a wheel chair. Without it, my mother would not have been able to leave the hotel room. The room was lovely, the shower great. I found all employees very helpful and considerate, with one exception. The lady who operated the bistro in the afternoon came in around 4:00 p.m., I was amazed she would wear her apron from the outside and not put it on once inside the building. She matter of factly stated she had to count her money in the drawer. She said it in a way that was not friendly or courteous. I was surprised at her reception toward me. I decided to eat elsewhere. Otherwise, convenient, very nice room and helpful employees. I was disappointed this hotel does not offer a complimentary breakfast as even much lesser priced hotels do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbug025
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. We have shared your comments with our associates which have been used as a training tool to applaud the successes and improve on the hospitality in our Bistro. Hope to see you again soon.
NORTON SHORES
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotel was very nice and staff was friendly. It is within walking distance to Beale Street, shopping, and the waterfront. Room was a little larger than most that you find in a downtown area and the bathroom was a good size as well. They have valet parking available, but you can self park in the same parking garage for less. It's a bit inconvenient, it's down a block and around the corner. Trolley stop is right out the front doors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Happy you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will stay with us again in the near future.
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed one night for the Beale Street Music Festival. It's a convenient location, walking distance, but for $270 a night, should at least include breakfast!!

When we first arrived, a Saturday, we had called to see if an early check-in was possible. Yes, it was. When we checked in, we went up to our room and opened the door to see the room was occupied with someone else's stuff. Their computer and everything was sitting out. If we weren't honest people, it would have been easy to take anything in that room and no one even know. This is a HUGE mistake to be made by a hotel. I wouldn't want anyone getting checked into my room and walking in on my stuff, possibly stealing it. I went back down and told Tracy at the front desk and she was all flustered and checked me in to another room. This time it was fine, though it was a handicap room with all the attachments in the bathroom. No big deal. Also, a towel had hairs on it which is gross, so we just set it aside.

Except for the mistake at check in, everything was nice and fine, but too expensive. I'd stay again if cheaper. This was one of the only options left during the festival, otherwise we wouldn't pay this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We have determined the cause of your being checked into a room that had others belongings in the room. This was an isolated incident that has been resolved. Look forward to seeing you in the future.