“Good hotel just not for me”

Courtyard Memphis Downtown
Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
tupelo, ms
“Good hotel just not for me”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a clean, nice looking hotel in a nice location in downtown Memphis. The reason I say it is not for me is that the bed was not very comfortable. I do have to admit that I like a very soft bed and this one was just too firm for my comfort so I had trouble sleeping. Also it was kinda just a basic room, nothing special. The bathrooms are a nice size though with a large shower and good sink/vanity area. The hotel staff was overall friendly. The parking was a little confusing and we found out by chance (because the garage was closed and we were not informed on how to enter) that you can pay the sleep inn 5 bucks to park overnight as apposed to 15 to courtyard and the garage is right beside the other. In closing, I am sure that this hotel is super nice for most people, but it was just not for me.

Room Tip: Check out the parking garage next to the courtyards;)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I must start off by saying that this hotel was beyond our expectation! We (my fiance and I) only stayed for one night for a mini romantic get-away! We checked in later than we expected. I feared that we were going to have trouble checking in but it was a breeze. When we entered the room it blew us away! Me and my fiancé was very pleased. We requested a corner balcony room on the highest floor available and it was granted! The room was very clean and spacious. I really loved the modern look also. The balcony was amazing especially with the great weather! The location is great as well. It's only 6 blocks from Beale St. If you don't want to enjoy the walk there, you can catch the trolley. Overall, I give this hotel 10 stars. This is a wonderful hotel! This will be my first pick the next time I'm in the area!

1 Thank 6mw
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Decided to spend a couple of days in Memphis on the tail end of a business trip and decided to stay at this property due to its location.

Check-in was very slow. This was at a peak time and management should've had more than one person at the front desk, at least to assist the poor girl working there until the number of guests trailed off. I wasn't thanked or offered an amenity or choice of points for being a platinum member which was a little bit of a let down. The staff just seemed poorly managed and not very friendly. I don't think they were trying to be rude, I just don't think any of them had an outgoing personality which is pretty important when working in hospitality in my opinion.

The room was very clean and insulated from noise. I had a corner room and heard little, if any noise. The room and hotel in general had a bit of a musk or dampness in the air. This wasn't bothersome, just something to note.

The location is good, but not great. It's a little bit of a walk to any good restaurants and Beale Street. One good feature is the trolley runs right in front of the hotel so it's pretty easy to use that for commuting.

The only real let down for me was the staff. I was so frustrated in the beginning I was pretty close to leaving and going to another hotel. I talked to the front desk and valet in regards to restaurants to check out in Memphis and all I received were mumbles.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here for a week on business. The hotel is clean...however....the hotel staff was not at all courteous, the service was terrible, there was no coffee in the morning, nor were the lights turned on, nor was there even anyone atthe front desk. The service was poor. The staff with the exception of 2 people, I felt wre very unapproachable. I felt as if they couldnt be bothered.
My recommendation is to go the another Marriott. Trust me, I travel extensively, and I know good service when I see it, it is not here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ryck6877
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thanks for your comments. I assure you that the experience you had is not typical of our staff and the service we provide our guests. We will use your comments to continue to strive to make every guest stay a perfect one.
Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The accommodation was excellent - clean, tidy etc. The location was 6 blocks from the main night life in Beale Street and easily accessible by trolley bus which stopped very close to the hotel. We had a suite with a small balcony which was ideal for a good view of the surrounding area.The staff were efficient but some lacked the personal touch.

Room Tip: We stayed in a high floor suite with a small balcony which offered a good view of main street and fo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, NC
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in Memphis for our son's college event. We find this hotel provides service and comfort found in hotels many times the price. The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly. The Courtyard is perfectly situated to enjoy any of the downtown restaurants. Rooms are of a good size and maintained in tip top condition. Obviously we love the place! The bistro offers great choices for a quick meal, coffee or snack. Room service was not missed at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

What a beautifully appointed property! The decor was very upscale & contemporary. Very nice & very spacious business center. Was not there long enough to use the hot tub. The entire staff was outstanding from the valet to housekeeping. We enjoyed our stay to the fullest and would definitely stay here again as well as recommend it to others.