“Super Attentive Service!”
Review of South of Beale

South of Beale
Reserve with OpenTable
South of Beale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 1,447 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: South of Beale is Memphis' first gastropub! At the bar, we focus on unique cocktails along with local / regional beers from the area. Our food menu is new-American style with a few extra twists!
Central Florida, Florida
“Super Attentive Service!”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We went on the recommendation of our daughters and did they ever steer us right!
We started off with the sangria of the day; a white , pineapple, vanilla sangria with chunks of pineapple floating in the glass! Refreshing and delicious!

We decided to have a tasting menu so our first choice was the fried(yes fried) avocado! Wow! It even came with a bit of olive tapenade hiding under the fried slices. It was drizzled with a wonderful sauce, beautiful to look at!

Next we had siracha onion rings, some of the best rings I have ever tried. They came with a side of catsup and siracha.

Then we had the Fried Green Tomatoes, panko fried with a delicious remoulade sauce for dipping. My husband said the best he'd ever had!

Last we ordered the parmesan risotto. Perfect consistency. The only thing I would change would be a bit more heat to make them a bit more interesting!

All in all, a terrific visit! We will definitely be back!

PS .Spencer gave us excellent service and was very informative!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank TravelgirlsTennessee

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Looked good on paper...”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Found this place online - the menu looked really good. Some interesting options and local sourcing. Reuben fries, duck confit, oxtail wontons.... COUNT ME IN.

Got there and took a seat at the bar, great looking selection of local beers on tap. The place was busy and noisy, but it is a bar - so it was what was expected and the atmosphere fit. I was getting excited.

Just decided to have a couple starters so that I could sample a few different things. Went for the duck confit fried rice (duck confit, scallions, sunny-side egg, five spice) and chicken and waffle sliders (maker’s mark glaze).
Seasoning was wildly inconsistent. The duck was overpowered with five spice but the chicken had no apparent seasoning at all.

The fried egg on the rice was a nice touch as it added some badly needed moisture to the dish. I honestly did not know it was possible to overcook duck confit so much that it becomes dry.

The chicken and waffles were just dry and basically taste free. The Belgian style waffles were far too much bread, the chicken was done nicely, but had no depth of flavor, and I did not realize that the glaze had Makers in it until I looked back at the menu just now to get the description. It seemed to be just a thin maple syrup.

The bartender was nice enough, a bit rushed as the place was busy. Service was a little slow. But I do not fault front of the house if the kitchen was running behind and forgetting to moderate seasoning.

The menu looked so promising and the place looked like somewhere I would like to spend a lot of time (if I lived in the area) but the quality and consistency left me sorely dissapointed

1 Thank rogamer
Memphis,TN
“me likey, kinda pricey, desserts look super enticey !”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stopped in here for lunch, been hearing good things and wanted to try it. Has a funky vibe, we stayed indoor but they have a very large patio available.
Had the oxtail wontons to start (delish !) and a flatbread with cajun sausage and green tomatoes, really good. My coworker had a chicken sandwich that had her licking her fingers...I didn't indulge in dessert but will definitely go back just to try it - they had some kind of bread pudding with Jack Daniels and Coke ,brownies and chocolate mousse pie all of which were really enticing...
and they serve a cool popcorn at each table, drink options look like they were pretty cool too, may well go back after work......

• Visited July 2014
“Great Ideas, mediocre execution”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We went to SOB on a recent Saturday night, the menu is very interesting with offerings that should appeal to most diners. The appetizers were excellent but the entrees were very inconsistent, my Shrimp and Grits were great but my wife's Sword Fish was very dry with very little taste. Deserts were OK but tended to be overcooked (my son's brownie was burnt around the edges and toasty). The location and staff were really cool but the quality of the food was much lower than I had anticipated.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Pittmanmark
richardson
“Don'T Miss This Place”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is a super gastro-pub that is worth the trip if you are anywhere in the Memphis area. They have an unusual mix of food but it is all great. We were there a couple of weeks ago for the week-end and had to go there twice. The second time we took a friend and she was upset that she could not return before she had to leave town. When you walk in you see the large bar and think the food can't be that good, WRONG, the food is great. Don't miss the Brussels sprouts or the duck fried rice as they are great appetizers ( they have several others that are great also). This is the kind of place to take friends so you can order more things to share and taste. A don't miss kind of place if you like super food that is different.

2 Thank terry c