“Excellent casual dining”
Review of South of Beale

South of Beale
Reserve with OpenTable
South of Beale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 1,481 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: South of Beale is Memphis' first gastropub! At the bar, we focus on unique cocktails along with local / regional beers from the area. Our food menu is new-American style with a few extra twists!
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Met some family & friends here before a performance at the nearby Orpheum, and everyone went away very satisfied. Tried the burger, fish & chips, and shrimp & grits. All were very tasty with reasonable prices. We also recommend the cocktails such as Kentucky Mule. Attentive wait staff willing to help first-timers with recommendations. The restaurant is conveniently located to Beale St. and other downtown attractions. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We were only in Memphis for one night and wanted regional food that wasn't the same ole same ole...saw the review for SOB in Trip Advisor and gave it a try. We had the duck fried rice, the fried avocado, a mixed salad with tomatoes, the gouda mac & cheese and the shrimp and pimento cheese grits. It was all great but the two standouts were the fried rice, and the shrimp& grits.
Wait staff was very friendly, and halfway thru our meal, came over to say that they felt the new bartender hadn't made the drinks big enough, so took one martini off the bill, and comped us another.
Fun, casual atmosphere, with seemingly more locals than tourists. Topped off by the entrance of Memphis Grizzly basketball player Mark Gasol, who obligingly posed for pictures with some kids.
An easy walk back up Main Street to Beale.
Not expensive. Would definitely return.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I saw this place in Food Network's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and thought what the heck! I'm here in Memphis for the first time ever and it happensto be on business and didn't want to hit Beale St just yet. I am glad I did! The beers were cold and delicious with a great draft selection of microbrews. The burger is awesome! The atmosphere, laid back. It's a definite stop when your here.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I loved every part of this place!! They start off delivering popcorn. Great! We enjoyed drinks from the bar. The martini menu has very interesting choices. My wife liked the salted carmel martini. We loved the Duck Fried Rice, and the Fried Avocado was devine. For the main course, we split the Pork Chop and Mac and Cheese. Best Food we had while in Memphis.

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We decided to do a pit stop in Memphis on our way down to NOLA. I looked up this place on trip advisor and after looking at the menu, decided to give it a try.

My husband and I got the chicken and waffles, siracha onion rings, and a side of the gouda mac and cheese to share for dinner.

The mac and cheese and the chicken and waffles were delicious! However we didn't think the siracha onion rings had much flavor (mind you, I put Siracha on everything so I may have been a bit biased)

Overall it was a great place with a good variety of beers. We would go back!