“Gluten Free & Great Food!”
Review of South of Beale

South of Beale
Reserve with OpenTable
South of Beale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 1,509 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: South of Beale is Memphis' first gastropub! At the bar, we focus on unique cocktails along with local / regional beers from the area. Our food menu is new-American style with a few extra twists!
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Found this on TripAdvisor and after checking out their menu and seeing a wealth of items marked as gluten free as well as some great reviews we decided we had to give it a try. We'd already been disappointed by two different Memphis restaurants on Beale Street, despite good reviews, we were still hopeful. The first thing we noticed after arriving is that the crowd looked more like locals than tourists. There weren't any tables available when we arrived but they told us we could sit at the bar & there was also a bar in the window, so we opted to sit in the window. We each started with a drink and they were all quite tasty. Service was quick, despite the restaurant having a full house. My husband & I both decided to have the SOB burger without a bun (mine without cheese) and they were happy to oblige. Our friend opted for the Salmon with the brussel sprouts. I'd seen some reviews mentioning how awesome the brussel sprouts were so I really wanted to try them, as well. After a couple of bites of her brussel sprouts we both agreed we could have just had a bowl of them and been happy. They were by far the best brussel sprouts anywhere EVER! Just amazing flavor with bacon & maple and the brussel sprouts. She said her salmon was also really good. Our burgers were both excellent and served with a side of homemade cajun potato chips. Best meal we had our whole trip and we all agreed we'd go back there without question. Some of the best food I've had anywhere.

1  Thank drunkitty2000

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I can only eat so much fried chicken and ribs before I want a real meal. We found South of Beale a few blocks from the Civil Rights Museum and went there for dinner. It's not fancy, but comfortable and inviting. They have a number of good beers on tap, and an upscale bar food/gastropub menu. My husband and I both had entree salads, one son had a "bar pie" (pizza) and the other had a burger. It was all good. I'd eat there again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Cute little place! Felt like we were in NYC or Chicago ! Service was excellent. Popcorn served at seating was so addictive, spicy and sweet. Food was delicious, fried avocados, burger, chicken sandwich, fish and chips, filet. Coke and Jack bread pudding was amazing ! Definitely a place to try

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a group of 13 on a tues for lunch. We called about 5 mins before we got there and they had a table set up for us. The waiter was very nice and gave us very good service. Everyone in our group was very pleased with their food. I tried the maple syrup bacon Brussels sprouts and absolutely loved them. Also, the popcorn is very addicting. This little hole in the wall ended up being a gem. My favorite so far in Memphis!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went out of our way to visit this place after seeing it featured on Diners, DriveIns and Dives. The service was good, the help friendly. My scallops in a mint watermelon gazpacho was a tasty dish, but there were only 4 scallops, no sides, no bread! My wife thought her pizza was only fair. I would have been happier if the $12.00 scallop entree was $15.00 with a little more food

Been to South of Beale? Share your experiences!