“dry ribs special”

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous
Ranked #22 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Rendezvous, founded by Charlie Vergos in 1948, started out as an 80 seat tavern serving ham and cheese sandwiches. When Charlie cleaned out the basement beneath his diner, he discovered a coal chute and started a barbecue legend. The coal chute gave Mr. Charlie a vent for his considerable talent over the grill. He developed a unique seasoning fusing his Greek heritage with spices he enjoyed from New Orleans. Mr. Charlie was a collector and hung antiques, memorabilia, and artwork on the walls. This, along with a soulful jukebox, lively waiters, and aromas from the kitchen helped him to create an atmosphere unequalled in the city of Memphis. Today, the restaurant is still in the Vergos family and run by Mr. Charlie's three kids. The ribs still taste the same as they did in the beginning. Ribs are the Rendezvous' specialty. Years ago, people started calling them "dry ribs" which is a terrible misnomer. The ribs are neither "wet" nor "dry." They are moist and juicy and come heavily basted in a vinegar solution that should be used for dipping, and they are sprinkled with our unique Rendezvous seasoning. Any use of sauce should be on the side. Most of the main dishes come with a 4 oz side of baked beans and a unique mustard/vinegar based cole slaw. Should you want additional sides, they may be purchased for only $1. While Rendezvous is famous for its ribs, don't overlook the other items on the menu. From the beef brisket to the pulled pork shoulder sandwich to grilled chicken everything is excellent and well seasoned. The newest item, the greek salad, is a recipe that comes all the way from the Vergos' village back in Greece. On your way out, pick up a bag of BBQ popcorn.The Rendezvous can handle parties as large as 300, call us for reservations. Reservations are accepted for 15 people or more during the week and 25 people or more on the weekend based on availablity. Our main dining area is in a basement. If you require elevator access please let our hostess know.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“dry ribs special”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

ribs here are dry, not barbecue sauce, so somewhat different for us Yankees, interesting to try. want desert? more ribs!

Visited September 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
“OMG AND WOW!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

If you are in Memphis you MUST eat here!! I ate everything but, the pattern on the plate and the tablecloth!! You just THOUGHT you had, had good BBQ before. Get the ribs and OK, you wont blow your diet too bad!! the coleslaw is amazing too!! My mount is literally watering writing this review!! My opinion is don't mess with the other guys, this is the real deal!! THIS IS MEMPHIS BBQ!!!

Visited December 2013
Marion, New York
“Great dry rub ribs”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I went for dinner during our visit to Memphis. I ordered the full rack of ribs and my husband ordered the brisket. I enjoy dry rub, I don't like to drown my BBQ in sauce. The ribs were excellent, very flavorful and tender. The brisket was also very tender. The beans and coleslaw were very good. The staff was quite entertaining and the our server was great. Walking down the alley at night to get there was not enjoyable. We were hit up by a beggar, which is what I expected. Just be aware of your surroundings.

• Visited December 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So Dissapointed”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The atmosphere is cold....our server was unattentive and told me I could not get a separate check when I needed one for a receipt for work. I have not been this disappointed in a few years.

Visited December 2013
Chesnee, South Carolina
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

After hearing that this location was well worth trying, we were very pleased with our dining experience. The BBQ ribs are dry rub and some of the absolute best i've ever had. The location was very close to our hotel, The Holiday Inn on Union Ave. Overall, Rendezvous is a great restaurant to try while in the Memphis area.

• Visited December 2013