“This was pretty darn tasty...”

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous
Ranked #23 of 1,481 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Rendezvous, founded by Charlie Vergos in 1948, started out as an 80 seat tavern serving ham and cheese sandwiches. When Charlie cleaned out the basement beneath his diner, he discovered a coal chute and started a barbecue legend. He developed a unique seasoning fusing his Greek heritage with spices he enjoyed from New Orleans. Mr. Charlie was a collector and hung antiques, memorabilia, and artwork on the walls. This, along with a soulful jukebox, lively waiters, and aromas from the kitchen helped him to create an atmosphere unequalled in the city of Memphis. Today, the restaurant is still in the Vergos family and run by Mr. Charlie's three kids. The ribs still taste the same as they did in the beginning. Ribs are the Rendezvous' specialty. While Rendezvous is famous for its ribs, don't overlook the other items on the menu. From the beef brisket to the pulled pork shoulder sandwich everything is excellent and well seasoned. We take reservations for parties of 8 or more.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was a great place to eat. Kind of hard to find, since it was in the back alley but well lit and a security guard was out front. The rub on the ribs was outstanding. We're use to a vinegar based sauce on the ribs and this was a pleasant surprise. There was a lot of nostalgia and great things to see while waiting for our dinner. It was fast and hot. I'm sure I can't write anything that some of the others reviewers haven't written about so I'll keep it short and simple. It's different, delightful and delicious. It's a must do tourist attraction when visiting Memphis. The only place I can say is just a little better, in my opinion, is "Dreamland" in Alabama.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Every time I look for highly recommended places to eat in Memphis, the name of this place comes up. On this trip, two locals recommended it; so we went. You will be lucky to find a free parking place within walking distance; so will more than likely have to pay for parking. The restaurant is a little pricey. I wasn't really impressed at all. We had a 15 minute wait. I got pork ribs and brisket; and I was disappointed. The bread appeared to be store bought dinner rolls placed in a basket, and served at room temp. There was lots of meat; and it came with small servings of baked beans and cole slaw. The cole slaw was cabbage in a mustard based sauce, which I didn't care for because I'm accustomed to mayo based.. The baked beans were very tasty, but a little too sweet. The decor was very interesting and the service and atmosphere were fine. I had the mild sauce and it was fine, but didn't compensate for the dry, below average pork ribs and beef brisket. We had the sausage and cheese appetizer, and it was very good.....better than expected.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Talk about trading on your reputation! We went on the basis of several rated recommendations (including Tripavisor!) and were extremely disappointed. Although the restaurant is steeped in history and the walls covered in memorabilia, at the end of the day you go for the food.

The ribs were dry and tasteless and the portions meagre. We asked for a gap between the starters and mains but this was totally ignored. In fact, the waiter's sole objective seemed to be to turn the table as quickly as possible.

For a visit to the land of the BBQ, you can do a lot better!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

When I was traveling to Memphis for business I went on a mission to find the best ribs. The winner was Rendezvous. Don't expect to order a bunch of sides. When we were seated the waiter asked Large or Small. He meant half rack or whole rack. When the food came there were no sides just a little bit of coleslaw. These were the best ribs I have ever tasted. I am furious ith myself that I did not buy the seasoning before heading back to Michigan. I will definitly stop in again next time I am in Memphis.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

The atmosphere makes the place. Very ecclectic. Service was great, food was great. All in all a great choice for dinner.