“Lamb Riblets For The Win”

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous
Ranked #22 of 1,476 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Rendezvous, founded by Charlie Vergos in 1948, started out as an 80 seat tavern serving ham and cheese sandwiches. When Charlie cleaned out the basement beneath his diner, he discovered a coal chute and started a barbecue legend. He developed a unique seasoning fusing his Greek heritage with spices he enjoyed from New Orleans. Mr. Charlie was a collector and hung antiques, memorabilia, and artwork on the walls. This, along with a soulful jukebox, lively waiters, and aromas from the kitchen helped him to create an atmosphere unequalled in the city of Memphis. Today, the restaurant is still in the Vergos family and run by Mr. Charlie's three kids. The ribs still taste the same as they did in the beginning. Ribs are the Rendezvous' specialty. While Rendezvous is famous for its ribs, don't overlook the other items on the menu. From the beef brisket to the pulled pork shoulder sandwich everything is excellent and well seasoned. We take reservations for parties of 8 or more.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We ate here at the advisement of several people, and we are glad we did. The pork ribs were *good* not great but the lamb riblets were amazing. I ordered the brisket as well and it was awesome. The rub is good, a little on the sweet side which if fine with me. I'm sure there's better BBQ in Memphis, but the atmosphere alone is worth the visit. It's funky, unique, and has a lot of history. You can tell the people that work there really enjoy their jobs.

There are newer reviews for Charles Vergos' Rendezvous

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a place you MUST go to in Memphis, best ribs ever!!!
It’s a great local place, not fancy but very nice decorated. You will have amazing ribs and pig shoulder. Service is great and waiters are very nice and friendly.
Its an attraction you will not wanna miss

2  Thank APCO
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was visiting Memphis and went through all the bbq restaurants that were on tv. This was one of them and I had some friends mention it as well. We arrived around noon to have one of the servers tell us that they were closed, but they do have ribs available if we wanted to sit down and enjoy them. That was no problem with me since that is what I was going there for. I go the big serving of pork ribs. They come with a dry rub that is crispy and flaky. They were very tasty. There were two different types of bbq sauce on the table for us to use as well. Before I knew it the ribs were gone. They were very good. I will be going back again. They interesting thing is that why was the restaurant staffed if they were closed? There was a person at the cash register, two servers, a greeter, and people in the kitchen. If that is closed, I would like to see it when they are open. I think it is a city ordinance loop hole. Non the less....GREAT FOOOD!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Several friends recommended that I eat here when they heard I was visiting Memphis. The ribs were very tough and dry and I did not care for the rub. Included was a small cup of baked beans which were bland, and a small cup of vinegar coleslaw. The menu advised to request bread if you wish, and after asking twice we were brought a basket of cold rolls that looked like something generic picked up at the local grocery store. The waiter was not attentive and only returned once near the end of the meal. I would not return here.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

One of my favorite places for decades, and it's never disappointed. My wife and I at there two nights in a row… the ribs -- what the 'Vous is known for -- were spectacular… the appetizers -- the Rendezvous special and the pork nachos -- were outstanding.

A few years ago, the 'Vous underwent a pretty thorough clean-up, during which they removed the hundreds or thousands of business cards that were jammed in every crevasse along the stairway, but the place is still interesting enough that someone ought to offer a tour to talk about all of the memorabilia in the restaurant.

Simply put: Don't go to Memphis unless you go to the Rendezvous. Otherwise, it's a wasted trip.