“Tasty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charles Vergos' Rendezvous

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous
Ranked #19 of 1,429 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Rendezvous, founded by Charlie Vergos in 1948, started out as an 80 seat tavern serving ham and cheese sandwiches. When Charlie cleaned out the basement beneath his diner, he discovered a coal chute and started a barbecue legend. The coal chute gave Mr. Charlie a vent for his considerable talent over the grill. He developed a unique seasoning fusing his Greek heritage with spices he enjoyed from New Orleans. Mr. Charlie was a collector and hung antiques, memorabilia, and artwork on the walls. This, along with a soulful jukebox, lively waiters, and aromas from the kitchen helped him to create an atmosphere unequalled in the city of Memphis. Today, the restaurant is still in the Vergos family and run by Mr. Charlie's three kids. The ribs still taste the same as they did in the beginning. Ribs are the Rendezvous' specialty. Years ago, people started calling them "dry ribs" which is a terrible misnomer. The ribs are neither "wet" nor "dry." They are moist and juicy and come heavily basted in a vinegar solution that should be used for dipping, and they are sprinkled with our unique Rendezvous seasoning. Any use of sauce should be on the side. Most of the main dishes come with a 4 oz side of baked beans and a unique mustard/vinegar based cole slaw. Should you want additional sides, they may be purchased for only $1. While Rendezvous is famous for its ribs, don't overlook the other items on the menu. From the beef brisket to the pulled pork shoulder sandwich to grilled chicken everything is excellent and well seasoned. The newest item, the greek salad, is a recipe that comes all the way from the Vergos' village back in Greece. On your way out, pick up a bag of BBQ popcorn.The Rendezvous can handle parties as large as 300, call us for reservations. Reservations are accepted for 15 people or more during the week and 25 people or more on the weekend based on availablity. Our main dining area is in a basement. If you require elevator access please let our hostess know.
Brisbane, Australia
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was another restaurant on my list that I saw on Man Vs Food and wanted to visit. This is the first dry rub ribs I have had and they were tougher than I expected but they were delicious. They use a really nice mixture of spices in the rub and I've not had ribs since that have such a layer of spices kind of crusted on top. I also loved the 2 sides that came with them - Slaw (which I normally don't even like) and baked beans that were sweet which was surprising to me. I actually arrived at around 4pm not realising that they aren't properly open that early on that day but they still serve just the ribs (which is what I came for anyway). Considering they aren't properly open, the staff were all very friendly still and our waiter was very attentive to me and the few other early birds who had turned up too. I ordered the full rack too since it was 4pm and I hadn't had lunch. Let's just say it's large.

Honestly, I have had ribs since in Nashville that I preferred because they were so tender but these were very tasty because of the spices they use in their rub so I would recommend trying it just for that different flavour.

Nashville, Tennessee
“First and last visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have heard the hype about Rendezvous for years and could not wait to try it. I wish I had waited longer, much longer. Our party had the dry rub ribs. I guess dry rub also means dry and tough as leather. The ribs were absolutely the toughest I have ever had ! I had the baked beans and they were no better than canned (maybe they are canned). We had to hail down our waiter several times to get tea refills. No more visits to the Rendezvous. The only good thing I could say about our visit was it was a business dinner and we were able to expense it.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Dano572013
Memphis
“BBQ nachos are to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I always have a great experience when I come here. Always fast and friendly service! BBQ nachos are my favorite, but you can't go wrong with the ribs either! One of my favorite places in Memphis.

Bermuda
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

The restaurant was recommended as we wanted to try Memphis dry rub . We were also surprised at the entrance! Seating was right away. Cool surroundings maybe a little bit grubby. There were 3 of us. We decided to each try something different so it was lamb, beans, slaw....Brisket, ribs, slaw, beans...pork on a bun, ribs, beans & slaw. The lamb was very fatty and not much of it...ribs dry and disappointing.....the brisket did not have much flavour and also dry .. the pull pork and sides were average. I have to make mention of the following: We had white linen napkins and the food was served on the cheapest, nastiest paper plates. Is that some joke that we didn't get? Over all would not recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank Carol W
Virginia
“Great Ribs!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Friends had recommended Rendezvous to us prior to our visit to Memphis. It is located in an alley downtown and you have to go down to the basement level to the restaurant. The man who waited on us had been working there for over 50 years. I would call it a bar/dive, frequented by business people as well as tourists and locals. Everyone is friendly and the food is delicious. Gumbo was served as an appetizer and was extra good. Having never had dry rub ribs, we delighted in trying them. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Charles Vergos' Rendezvous? Share your experiences!