“Great place”

Ranked #71 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We booked this place last minute and didnt know what to expect...

The location was brilliant couldn't have been better, was right next to the greyhound station, and 2 streets from Beale Street, also within walking distance to Sun Studios, the bus to Graceland and the river etc...

The rooms were being refurbished when we were there, so it looked pretty run down at the front, but we were put in one of the new ones round the back, i'm pretty sure we were the first people in the room since it had been done out, so everything was sparkly clean and the bathroom was HUGE! I'm sure once the other rooms are all done (which they might be by now) the place will be awesome. The prices were very reasonable, we wanted to stay an extra night at the weekend and the lady at reception let us have it for the same price although they were supposed to be more due to the local festival going on that weekend which was nice of her.

I would definately stay again!

• Liked — Location, brand new room...
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Missouri
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This is literally the worst place I have ever stayed in (including hostels in Europe). The reason we booked this place was because of its location, and it was cheap compared to other hotels in the area...DON'T BE FOOLED! I had read all of the reviews and thought, "Why not?" It is much more worth your time and money to stay somewhere else. When I called, I was told that the place had just been renovated. Now, if they did indeed fix things, the owners used garage sale furtinure or stuff from the dump. Our TV did not have a power button or a remote to use. The sink did not have a drain, the carpet was coming up around the edges, there were holes in the walls, there were holes in the furtinure, and there was MOLD in the shower. The towels were paper thin and the beds were lumpy. They advertised having free wi-fi, irons, and ironing boards, but I found none of these things. We attempted to stick it out not wanting to waste 75$, but there were people fighting and slamming doors at the motel not to mention the horrible traffic right outside (which I know they had no control over). At midnight we left and went to another hotel which was MUCH better. When we left, I stopped to talk to person working, and he was really rude about the thing - tried to deny that there was fighting going on etc... I will never stay here again, and I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — unclean
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abc1758

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

fort smith Ar
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I love this place I stay here every year for Memphis in may music festival. I have gotten to know the owners really well. They are super nice people.
Thanks

Leon H

Stayed May 2007
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I came accross this motel after getting off a 10 hour grey hound (bus) trip. It's right next to the station and I really didn't fancy searching around for a good price. The owners and staff are extremely friendly and were very helpful with everything, tips on the area, where to go, what to see etc. They made sure our stay was pleasant and comfortable. Rooms are about $50-$58 a night and having been to this city a few times now, I can honestly say that you will definitely not get cheaper than that. If you want to be in dowtown memphis (5 min walk to Beale Street and the heart of Memphis) you will not get better than this. It's also walking distance to rock and soul museum which offers free transport to Graceland, sun studio and heartbreak hotel. I've looked into other hotels in the area and a majority of them are in 4 star category where you would be looking at at least 100 pounds a night. The kings court motel is therefore ideal with its price! It is basic though so don't expect anything lavish. I think considering price, location ,helpfulness of owners, you can not go wrong with this one and I always recomend it to people.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank R0xy1
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2007

When in Memphis, you'll probably be out most of the day checking out Graceland, SUN Studio, the Stax Museum etc. then at night be wandering Beale St. We drove into town and just happened upon this place. It wasn't particularly nice but not completely filthy either. For the price and to be able to walk back from Beale St. at the end of the night it was worth it. Not the greatest place for families and if the Best Western up the street is close in price then go there, but this place is fine for budget travellers who are used to hostels or other low-end accomodation. We never had anyone knock on the door or give us any problems.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not the greatest condition/cleanliness but OK
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
nashville, tennessee
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I have stayed at the Kings Court many times and found it to be clean, convenient to Beale Street and everything downtown Memphis and do not understand some of the negative reviews. The management are not "surly", but very friendly. You don't have to have a Southern twang to be friendly! I have always stayed there except once when I stayed at Super 8, which was filthy and not convenient and they were "surly"! Also, I stayed once at Wyndham Garden Hotel downtown, paid a lot, and was waken up in the night by a fire drill - some juveniles staying there pulled it and we all had to evacuate. That was not a pleasant experience. I am going to Memphis again in August and staying both nights at the Kings Court.

• Liked — The convenience
  • Disliked — Bed a little soft
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank pmillsaps
Cordova
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Hmmmmmm.........Not so bad,..... next to memphis stadium on one side and Fedex Forum on another side ..... very close to Main street. Room is ok ...........u can try fo once

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo