“Didn't meet my expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Beale Street Walking Tour
Ranked #8 of 152 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Renovation and renewal have come to this historic street known as the "Home of the Blues." Flashy music clubs and restaurants abound.
Livonia, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Didn't meet my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Visited Beale Street from 7 pm - midnight. While in Memphis it is a must do, but I wasn't thrilled. Some establishments had so-so music, one had a great opening band (everywhere we went did have live music). Pretty attentive waitstaff everywhere we went (but I wish they would realize trying to talk over the live music is unpleasant for the patrons nearby). I never felt unsafe even after dark. Tourist stores are open in between the bars to browse and shop. It definitely gets busier the later it is, but then expect to start paying cover charges. Drinks are way overpriced. If you think being allowed to carry open drinks along the street is the best thing ever then Beale Street is for you. If you are looking for bars with character and great blues this didn't meet my expectations.

Visited November 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Where to start”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Ok first I will give Beale Street the benefit of doubt because, we went in late November early December 2013 and it was cold. That being said maybe that's the reason no one was on Beale Street excuse me Beale Block and a half. But that shouldn't have discourage the clubs from being exciting. My husband and I was looking for some great blues music and some good ole Memphis Bbq which neither was found. We found a good band at BB King's however, they didn't play any blues or any old soul music(50's,60's,and 70's) they played the music from the late 80's early 90's. Personally me I wouldn't recommend this to ANYONE however, again as stated earlier maybe the weather had something to do with the entertainment we were looking for. We went on a Saturday night and Monday night after the game with Houston Rockets thinking that maybe it would be better after the game. NOT.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank TinadD_13
Tokyo, Japan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beale Street”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Blues & Drunk!! Good music, Good vibration, Have a Nice Trip.

Visited November 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Go before dark.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the sights from bygone days and the restaurants. Easy for walking. Parking not allowed, but close off-sight available. Have lived just outside Memphis for 15 yrs. Have been told by natives, don't go after dark.

Visited May 2013
Smithtown, NY
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't forget to check out the Beale Street Flippers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was mesmerized by the kids doing their gymnastics in the street. They were amazing. I'm from NY and I like to watch the street performers but they have to be really good for me to stick around. These guys on Beale Street blow away some of the guys in Washington Square Park in NY!!!! They have tip jars but they aren't pushy. They certainly earn those tips anyway. There is a lot of information about them online. They are hardworking kids (mostly kids but their ages vary) who have talent.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank UptownGirl68

Been to Beale Street? Share your experiences!