“Fun Place- No Need to Fear for Your Life”
Review of Beale Street

Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum Admission
Ranked #30 of 161 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Renovation and renewal have come to this historic street known as the "Home of the Blues." Flashy music clubs and restaurants abound.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beale Street is a great place for 2 reason: Live Blues music and drinking. Keep in mind it really only is one long block of action so nowhere near the size of Bourbon Street. You cannot focus an entire weekend around Beale Street but it is a great starting point and ending point depending where you're staying. Silky O'Sullivans was great. Coyote Ugly sucked. Wet Willies was perfect for a drink on the go.

It is like any town where if you act like a A-Hole it will end poorly for you. The panhandlers weren't that bad and easy enough to flick away. I traveled to Memphis with 16 preppy white guys and at no point did we come close to having an incident, we were always safe. There is also a solid police presence.

Dyer's Burgers was a let down so not worth the trip. I never made it to Gus Fried Chicken (somewhere nearby) but my friends all raved about it.

Bottom Line- It is worth a visit. Wait until after 3pm so the street can liven up a bit. If you go at noon it will look like a ghost town.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,509)
All reviews
"police presence"
in 206 reviews
"bb kings"
in 316 reviews
"bourbon street in new orleans"
in 91 reviews
in 120 reviews
"walk around"
"jerry lee lewis"

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I guess I expected unusual stores and fun music. What we saw was a city street, few cheap souvenir shops and lots of places to buy booze. I knew there would be alcohol but it seemed that was the main focus. Some musicians outside, they were ok, but the smell of soured beer really turned me off. Reminded me of a cheap version of the French Quarter.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was very excited to see Beale Street for the first time. I have to say I was not impressed. The district was much smaller than I thought it would be. I agree with other reviews that security is good. You do see a lot of police in uniform. However, they really seem to focus on that street only and not the paths coming into and out of the district. Overall on Beale and the other downtown areas There are many street people that beg and we felt they were far too aggressive compared to other major cities. I was assuming this would be much more like the French Quarter. But it does not have the options and I felt much safer in NOLA. Or the downtown area of Nashville is much better experience than Beale. In addition we did not find the people working very friendly either. Nothing horrible, but not engaging. Maybe we hit a bad night(?). Very disappointed I have to write this review but it was our experience.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Loved Beale Steet, music, sights, etc. That smoking is allowed in the bars is too much. I will say that they have installed some good fans, blowers, etc. But given the fact that one can go in and out of the bars seems to me that they could keep it outside. Cigars are the worse!
It is really not a place for animals (I have a dog) or young children (been there and done that).

1  Thank TeeBow
See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2013

For a short walk, of only a few blocks, it has so much culture and history. Lots of Blues, Elvis singers, food, historical markers and a sense that things have not changed there. You can walk down the street with a drink and there are street performers to keep you occupied. For me, it was the old architecture, music and historical markers which made me realize how much had changed and how much as happened on 1 street. A must see!

1  Thank michael h

Been to Beale Street? Share your experiences!