“Music lovers MUST go!”

African American History Tour of Memphis - Overview Tour
Ranked #9 of 155 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Renovation and renewal have come to this historic street known as the "Home of the Blues." Flashy music clubs and restaurants abound.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I don't understand a lot of these reviews, especially the one comparing State Street in Madison, WI to Beale Street. I went to UW-Madison, and although there is quite a bit of ambiance and interest surrounding that, it certainly doesn't have the history and musicians that Beale has. Also people complaining that it isn't as "big" as the French Quarter...seriously? Do people have any concept of history anymore? The legends that started here, the music that shaped history and our lives? I am very disappointed with some of these reviews.

It's an awesome place. It isn't unsafe, there are a lot of people there. We went on a Friday night, saw street performers that were pretty good. Bought some nice souvenirs and knick-knacks along the way. Ate at the Hard Rock, listened to music, had a good time. There were a lot of families, so I imagine it is okay for children. It was chilly and a bit rainy, but still a lot of fun. Very historic, incredible for a music fan as myself.

Please, please, pretty please do your research on what Memphis and the South has brought to music history before you decide to go to Beale Street. I understand that not everyone is a music fan like myself, but Beale Street is what it is all about...one of the holy grails for a music fan. I'm originally from the North, and for the record, I have seen far unsafer areas in Chicago and Indianapolis than I did in Memphis.

4  Thank heidilore76

Reviewed March 29, 2013

It was colder than I expected on the day we visited so that put a damper on it a bit. Very historic but run-down area. Dozens of souvenir shops and bars line the street.

Would have liked to have seen it all lit up at night but it was way too cold the few days we were there :(.

Hard to find free parking but enjoyed riding the trolley!

1  Thank TDBaxter
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went down DURING the week after see The Million Dollar Quartet at that gorgeous theater.....we had a blast at a karaoke bar! It was like 1 big group of friends by the time we left. It's such a historic place; which I like that too! Many famous people walked those streets before us.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Even though the wind chill was about 30 degrees, we had a great time. Even during the day you can feel the energy just walking down the street. Everyone is so Friendly! Love to go back and spend an evening partying...........

1  Thank Donna O
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We took our kids, 8&13, had a great time. There is so much more to do and see beside the bars! There are a few that allow children into the front area! The Hard Rock Cafe, is awesome there! I loved the Ode to Maroon 5. They let us walk around or over an hour snapping photos and exploring! Great way to send an evening!

1  Thank Laura C

Been to Beale Street? Share your experiences!