“Dirty and seemed dangerous”
Review of Beale Street

Beale Street Walking Tour
Ranked #9 of 154 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Renovation and renewal have come to this historic street known as the "Home of the Blues." Flashy music clubs and restaurants abound.
Toronto, Canada
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Dirty and seemed dangerous”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Perhaps the music is great but the street is dirty and lots of sketchy characters walking the streets. Yes, there is police presence but it didn't make us feel any safer. We didn't stay long before leaving the area.

The next day we were back in Memphis for a Sun Studio tour so thought we'd go down to Beale St again. It was 9:00 am and people were still roaming the street drunk looking for hand outs. When we told the man we didn't have any change, he just kept following us.

A local shop keeper was hosing down the street from the night before's activities. I guess if you're into the party scene you may enjoy it - we did not.

4 Thank Dutchie33

71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Good food and music”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Not as long as say NOLA's Bourbon St. or Vegas' Strip, Beale St. does have a lot of food and music to offer. It's not as "exotic" as Bourbon or crowded, but still plenty to see and taste. Note: It does seem to be more family-oriented or PG, if you will.

1 Thank publius358
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“I love the atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love walking down the street and hearing all the music, seeing the signs, and watching the people. There was plenty of police presence and it felt totally safe. It was a slow time of the year, but it still had the atmosphere. I love Memphis!

1 Thank 44tvmed
Memphis, Tennessee
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Down Home blues”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you are looking for some good blues this is the place to go....I liked BB Kings the best for some great blues....

Visited January 2012
1 Thank saltlady1
Melrose, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Had a great time”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had a great time in memphis. I thought Graceland was a lil overated and expensive, but enjoyed Beale Street and Sun Studios. The Music was great. The bbq, to be honest I could do it better at home, but then Im real picky about bbq. The other southern dishes I had were very good though. LOVED the Beale Street Flippers. Yes its kind of a rough city but common sense goes along ways just like in every city. Im going back for Memphis in May and taking 6 people with me.

Visited April 2012

Been to Beale Street? Share your experiences!