“Good location, comfortable room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis
Ranked #26 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Buffalo, New York
“Good location, comfortable room”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

As a frequent traveler to Memphis - This hotel features a good central location and plenty of places to eat nearby. I found the rooms comfortable and the staff friendly

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
danxtsupamodel
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Checked in July 29,2011- cked out July 30,2011 EARLY AM! 2 OR 3!

First Impressions & Ck In
We make it to the hotel in such a nice area of Memphis. Being from Memphis I knew about this hotel but never stayed here. So we see that the grounds are well kept which is good. We get our things out of the car and head into the hotel. As we are walking through the door we notice the moldy, dingy, dirty sky lights because it's sunny and there's some sun shining through. They just looked really nasty.
So we move on to the front desk. There's an HH line for members and there was a young lady in front of us. So we are waiting and just looking around. Things look okay but then we notice there are 3 family reunions at the hotel so we can imagine they are busy. That's fine as well.

We get up to the desk and the front desk agent was all alone, answering the phone and trying to ck us in all at the same time. My husband even asked was there someone to help her and she said well no because they were all gone and she decided to stay and not go home so she was it~ well okay I guess. So we ask for a room far from the elevator and we get our key's and go. We aren't made aware of anything else. My husband had to ask her where or if there was breakfast! She was on the phone and pointed to the hall~eh...okay.

Elevator & Room
So we get in the elevator and you can clearly see how nasty the sky lights are. This lady that was in the elevator with us pointed that out to! By saying wow-Double Tree you all should clean your windows that's just nasty...before she exited the elevator (haha to funny and soo true). So then we get off on floor 7 which floors 6,7 & 8 are HH floors. We get off the elevator and I immediately ask my husband do you smell that....there's 2 really,really, really old couches that look like they moved them from out of someone's room into the hallway just sitting up against the walls. Ehhh they just looked nasty!

So my husband say's it does have some type of smell and say's maybe your just being weird! Okay, sweetie...so we get into our room my husband heads to the bathroom comes back out and say's the hot water isn't working and the sink is leaking! Eh! Double Tree-you have got to be kidding me! So my husband's like well they do have I'm sure a full house and I'm thinking yes but it's a hotel and you need to have hot water! So I told him to ck the tub. Oh! the tub! So he ck's the tub and comes back into the room and say's~the faucet is leaking in the tub and it looks like someone tried to caulk it and it didn't work. So now I'm at a level were I not only want to change rooms but I want to speak to a manager but my hubby say's he will take care of it!

My husband is calm and he say's okay let's call them and see if someone can come up and fix it since we have to go anyway. He calls down stairs and there's a different lady answering the phone and say's she will have someone take care of all of it for us. Mind you we have to leave for an engagement and wont be back until late so I wanted my husband to make sure these would get taken care of. We head to the front desk and my husband lets the lady know what's going on with our room again! Coming back to our room late and leaving early we needed to have hot water! She say's she will make sure someone get's up and fix the problems.

Now, our issues are-No hot water in tub or sink~both faucets are leaking water and tub faucet is coming away from the wall. And hubby let me know that the handle from the sink is loose and leaking water from there. Okay, not too big of issues!

So we get back to the hotel at 11pm~ get in our room and I stil smell that smell but I didn't trip about it. My husband comes right in and ck's the sink faucet~still leaking water but the water is hot! So he ck's the tub faucet is still coming away from the wall but water is hot and he looks up to find not only a moldy soap dish but a USED BAR of soap in the soap dish! NASTY,NASTY! As he's walking out the bathroom he notices the floor is dirty~scuff marks from someone's shoes and the floors wet. So I immediately tell him to call the front desk. The lady appologies and say's she will give us breakfast but can't doa anything about the room. The manager isn't in and if we want to speak to him we can leave him a voicemail! I sure can do that! And I did!

So now I'm trying to figure out if we should ck out and find another hotel or what~being as though we have to leave in couple of hours anyway to get on the road! 11 hour drive back home! So my husband say's we will just deal with it for right now! We pull the covers back and there's holes in the sheets. Double Tree you all have to be pranking us right! Were exhausted! I turn to plug my phone up to charge and the face plate is not only cracked but it's coming off the wall. Oh yea and I forgot there was left over food in our fridge! We left! Got on the road and around 12 noon the next day! We called and were told the manager wasn't in no one knew when he was coming in! Horrible Customer Service! Oh and my husband finally spoke to Stacy and she said she would let the manager know we left a message on his voicemail at 11 something on Friday and wanted to speak with him about our stay. We have yet to hear from ANYONE AT THE DOUBLE TREE HOTEL! I had to call Guset Assistance on Sat at 9pm because I didn't hear anything from anyone all day! You would think they would call you back or something! I got nothing! I was told by a wonderful guest services rep that they have 3 business day's to resolve this! It's the 3rd business day! Haven't spoken to anyone!

They should take better care of there customer's! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! NASTY, DIRTY, SMELLY, AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Let's see how long it takes someone from the hotel to respond to this post~and they never responded to a corporate guest services response or even a voicemail.

Oh yea and I added pictures...I could only add 3! STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: No tip! Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at this hotel twice in May: May 20 and May 30. It is a nice property and includes breakfast. I was on a road trip and exhausted upon arrival both times. The first night I noticed blood stains on the paisley wall in the bathroom behind the commode. A real turn off but I was too tired to change rooms. The second night heading towards the hotel from a different direction I called the hotel for directions traveling east towards Memphis from the west. The desk staff, including the manager on duty, were unable to give me correct directions through a series of 3 calls and 45 minutes out of my way I arrived eventually. Again, the bathroom was not clean in the room but I was too tired to change rooms. I would not stay again. It is in a safe neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RobinRaves
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Every time I travel to business I try to stay at the this hotel. They always make an effort to find room for me, even at the last minute. The staff goes out of their way to make my stay,and my daughter's stay when she is with me, a pleasant experience.

I believe it is under new management as I asked to meet the manager, Mohamad Tubikh. I was very impressed with his manor of making sure the place is running smoothly. I mentioned to him that I stayed there as often as I can and ever since then, he always makes a point of finding out how my stay is going.

Zach, the bellman is an absolute delight, I look forward to seeing him every time I drive up. His personal touch and winning smile is delightful. Marilyn, at the front desk, is another shining star. The breakfast staff recognize me and know just what I like to order and are determined to get it right.

The cleaning staff is also very happy and accommodating . I don't believe any of this would be the way it is without the management skills of Mr. Tubikh.

Room Tip: As an HH member, I try to stay on 8th floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I was surprised that I would have so many issues with a Doubletree. The amenities weren't horrible, but they weren't clean...mostly because there was an old non-digital thermostat that kept the room very humid do everything felt a bit damp. I was also surprised to find what appeared to be dried blood on the bathroom walls. When I told the front desk staff, they said they would report it, but it was still there after the cleaning crew came in. The pool was ok, but the garbage dumpster was right outside the gate, so there was a smell of "ripe" garbage so it was hard to stay by the pool long. Overall it just didn't feel clean and was not up to typical Hilton standards.

• Stayed June 2011
MTA24, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feed back about your experience at our Hotel. We truly apologize for the inconvenience. We use opportunities like this one for training to improve on our service. We do look forward to better serving you in the future. Again thank you for your comments.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree Metropolitan in New York last fall and it was well-run, perfectly efficient. Now, I know Memphis isn't New York, but I had some issues with this hotel. Just little things but they add up -- like, no one cleaned my room one day (but did take the tip I left). When I complained they said I'd had a do not disturb on my door, which I didn't. The next day -- room cleaned, but no towels left. Strong musty smell in the room. Soft squishy bed. Noisy plumbing. Toilet that ran unless I jiggled the handle. On the plus side: fast room service, fast delivery of towels when I called, excellent AC, albeit a little noisy. Front desk loudly saying my room number when I had a question -- isn't this a big no-no in hotels? OK, so they give you a cookie when you check in -- so what?

Room Tip: Turn off the AC and smell the room first.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PHB7
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 6, 2011

This property is on the older side. It's not age I take issue with, it's cleanliness. The first room I was given was home to a large, live roach. The wallpaper was peeling and a strand of used dental floss was on the floor. So I moved to a second room. The second room I was assigned had a broken security latch, no functioning phone, and hair of an undesirable variety in the shower. Given that it was already 10:00pm and I had already unpacked in this second room, I spent the night with a chair blocking the door. The third room, in which I actually now sit writing this review, has at least one functioning phone (one doesn't work, though)... and what appears to be mold growing from the side of an electrical outlet.

Were I not traveling with a group of coworkers who apparently have a lesser sense of cleanliness, I'd have left last night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
MTA24, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Doubletree By Hilton Memphis. We appreciate your feed back and I will make sure to share with the staff to better service our guests in future stays. Again thank you for bringing this to our attention.