“Great tour!”

$25.00*
Woodruff-Fontaine House Ghost Tour
Ranked #37 of 159 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: An elegant, 16-room mansion built in 1870 and featuring period furnishings and mannequins displaying the fashions of the era.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had a great tour with Jake (I think). He was wonderful and went out of his way to not only explain the stuff in the house and the family, but show their archives of dresses to my 4 year old daughter. This stop was one of the highlights of our Memphis trip.

1  Thank 320mandyb

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The home is beautiful and full of gorgeous antiques and interesting equipment. It is not completely finished being renovated. We were here on a cold, gray day, so it was a little depressing, but our guide told us the gardens are being put in in the back and they will give the place a facelift. Our guide was very frail but did a good job. She was passionate about what she was doing and made the tour more interesting.

1  Thank Kay M
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Whilst to us (being from the UK) this is not a particularly old house, we thoroughly enjoyed the tour. Our guide was very informative and we thought the house had a really comfy atmosphere Don't think it would hold a great deal of interest for children but very good for adults.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our family loves old homes, not just the architecture, the antiques, and the fascinating glimpse into another time and way of life but the stories of the people and of the cities. We have been in everything from log cabins and colonials to Victorians and antebellum homes and never tire of a good tour and this one was.
We were fortunate enough to come on a slow day and got our own personal tour guide. She was very knowledgeable and friendly and more than willing to answer our questions and talk with us. I enjoyed hearing more about the Woodruff and Fontaine families, of the yellow fever epidemic that was such a problem for the city, and of the mourning rituals of the day. I thought I knew most all of them and still learned something new today. They also have an impressive collection of textiles and antique clothing, something of interest to my daughter and myself. They have done a wonderful job preserving this place and its many stories.
Anyone who believes a home tour is only about looking at the house itself does not have their ears open as they follow their guide. There is so much more to a home tour than gawking at architecture and antiques, though I admit I enjoy doing so, there are things to be learned about how people have changed and how they haven't. How their stories have shaped our stories and led us to where we are today.

7  Thank bookwormwendy
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This house has a very colorful history and was a great stop on our tour of Memphis! The tour was thorough, though I would have liked more time to look at the stuff!