“Worth a visit to Millionaire's Row”

Woodruff-Fontaine House
$25.00*
Haunted Memphis Bus Tour
Ranked #43 of 161 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: An elegant, 16-room mansion built in 1870 and featuring period furnishings and mannequins displaying the fashions of the era.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

As a former historic home guide, it was nice to go to a circa 1870 home and get a fairly informal tour. We got to see all three floors of the home which was nice. They were not particularly strict about people touching the objects-on one hand refreshing, but on the other hand horrifying to me. The home is beautiful and I am glad that the ATVA has preserved it and kept it open for touring. It was nice to do this considering that everything else that I have done in my other visits to Memphis has been related either to music or sports. The cost is ten dollars which is reasonable for a tour that lasted a little over an hour. However, while the women who worked their were all very nice it seemed a little disorganized at points. We started with one tour guide in the gift shop who then abruptly turned us over to a hardy octogenarian. While our new guide possessed at points an abundance of knowledge the organization of the presentation could have been improved upon. Still, all things considered it was a nice change of pace. Should take no more than 1-2 hours and there are other historic homes in this old Millionaire's Row of Memphis-some of these our open for touring and others have been conserved, but are going through adaptive reuse. You are fine walking within a three block distance, but after that the neighborhood gets sketchy.

2  Thank Clemente71

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We visited Memphis to see the usual tourist areas, specifically Graceland. But I had read about homes on Millionaire's Row, not far from downtown Memphis, that were open for tours. If you like Victorian era homes, then you cannot miss this side trip! Our tour guide had been there for years, and her knowledge and love of her job shone brilliantly. She took her time with our group, pointing out numerous things in each area, each with its own interesting story and reason for being there. The Victorians loved big, flashy, in-your-face displays of wealth, and this house has to be seen to be believed.
The tour took well over an hour, since we were allowed to linger and ask questions and take photos. My husband accompanied me since he knew I wanted to see this house while we were in Memphis, but it was so interesting that he agreed that we should visit the Mallory-Neely house next door the next day. You won't be sorry that you visited these magnificent homes!

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a most interesting old Memphis mansion with a lot of history. I always like to visit this type of historical site and was not disappointed. Our tour guide was excellent and full of interesting information about those who occupied the house. We were most fortunate to be the only ones visiting the house when we did so really had a private tour. The days when the house is open to the public are very limited which I am sure results in less visitors than the house deserves.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visited this Historic House while killing some time on a rainy Memphis Day. We were very pleased with the visit, and it will open me to checking out more of these older houses here the next time we visit.

We got lucky with a tour by the Curator, right upon their opening. There are many neat artifacts from the period and a few originals from the houses older days.

I won't spoil the tour, but my little lady felt like she was being touched up on the 2nd floor, and accused me of touching and messing with her!

Another must do while in town!!!!

5  Thank DeepBlueDives
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Woodruff-Fontaine house is well worth the drive. A lovely Victorian home and a hidden
gem in Memphis. Our tour guide turned out to be the cashier in the gift shop so I don't
know if we got the standard tour. She did a good job and we got a lot of personal opinions
with some facts. All in all, it was a fun experience and worth the 10 dollars for a glimpse
back at Victorian Memphis.

1  Thank Michael B