“Interesting”

Metal Museum
Ranked #26 of 154 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Metal Museum in Memphis, Tennessee is the only Museum of its kind in the United Sates. The Museum grounds consist of 3 and a half acres of land directly over looking the Mississippi River just south of downtown Memphis. On the grounds you will find a sculpture garden, a fully functioning blacksmith shop and foundry, a library holding our permanent collection, and our main Museum which houses rotating exhibitions of emerging and established metalsmiths worldwide. The Metal Museum is the only institution in the United States devoted exclusively to the advancement of the art and craft of fine metal work. This is achieved through exhibitions, collections, conservation, restoration and consulting services, classes, internship and apprenticeship opportunities, and artist residencies. The value of the Metal Museum extends well beyond its exhibitions and facilities recognizing and promoting the careers of metalsmiths.
Alabama
“Interesting”
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We really enjoyed the museum. I found the museum to be interesting and I loved the history behind the location of the museum.

Bowie, MD
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Wrought iron masterpieces... a great experience”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Our family really enjoyed the permanent collection.... wrought iron doors, crosses, benches, gazebo, ornaments. Pieces date back to 16th century. Outside, there are beautiful gardens and an ornate gazebo that overlooks the river. Another building in back has a working blacksmith shop. We enjoyed our visit with him. Right as we entered, the woman working there was very friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. Admission was low, but we spent over $100 in the gift shop without hesitation. This included a one-of-a-kind beautifully crafted wedding gift, a book my husband wanted, a t-shirt, and a refrigerator magnet. It is hot inside there, and I got a couple of mosquito bites outside, only minor complaints. I would go again.

2 Thank tlhjar
Poughkeepsie, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't even think of visiting this place”
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Ugh, I read some other reviews about this "scenic location" and "impressive collection". Please believe me, skip it. The identical view is free along the entire Memphis waterfront, the "collection" is a few odds and ends in a tiny house turned museum. The grounds are small, layout bizarre, foundry/blacksmith shop completely uninformative.

I do not usually write negative reviews but this was a real loser, I think it was $10 or $20 for us to visit, a terrible waste. Go to the Flying Saucer instead.

2 Thank richr000
Arkansas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“A beautiful location”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I enjoyed the ornamental metal museum. It is located on the grounds of an old army barracks site, with many old and beautiful buildings and trees. It is also located right on the bend of the Mississippi River with breathtaking views of the bridges and downtown Memphis. It is right across the street from two old hollow Indian mounds which were used for weapons storage during the Civil War. The museum itself is nice. It shows samples of many types of metal work. You can also commission work done there. They have a working forge which unfortunately was shut down when we were there due to an unscheduled remodel. It was an enchanting place with different fun and beautiful sculptures all over the grounds. I would recommend it.

2 Thank greenmtntrail

Been to Metal Museum? Share your experiences!