“Good, not Great”

Interim Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Interim Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 1,447 Restaurants in Memphis
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mendenhall
Memphis
“Good, not Great”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Interim is always a little noisy as there are no sound barriers in the main dining area. Off to the side is a little quieter, but with less ambiance. So, the atmosphere is not great to me, but others who like the hip vibe and don't mind talking over others to be heard, or hearing the conversation at the table next to you, will not be bothered. For business meetings, however, I always ask for a table off to the side. The food is quite good, well seasoned, fresh and just right. The service is typically attentive, depending on how crowded they are. Due to the food and service, this place is better than average, but price and atmosphere and make it good, but not on the top tier.

• Visited July 2014

Gadsden, Alabama
“3rd time a disappointment”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We come to Memphis a few times each year and one of my most favorite restaurants is Interim. But we experienced our third dinner there last night and it was really a disappointment. Our previous two visits, I would have rated 5. One thing we always start with is the appetizer of mac ad cheese and as usual, it was splendid and to die for. We skipped our usual Caesar salad and opted for the pricey (11.50) heirloom tomato salad. The tomatoes were cut and arranged beautifully but they were allowed to sit out too long and were somewhat dry and crumbly. The goat cheese...to die for. The arugula though was unacceptable. There were several pieces of soggy, wilted, decayed leaves that obviously were either not prepped or the arugula was prepped then allowed to decay. I would not serve this in my house and it was way over=priced. We opted to split a tenderloin, the most expensive thing on the menu at $35. It was a disappointment. It did not have the consistency or taste of tenderloin and it was drenched with a very ordinary brown gravy. The tenderloin was topped with an interesting mixture of bone marrow and watercress...interesting but a little goes a long way....at the same time, the split of the meal resulted in my wife having all the mushrooms and hardly any of the bone marrow while my steak was topped with a hunk the size of a 1/4 stick of butter. Sloppy prep in the presentation and the bone marrow was a big or bigger than my portion of steak. It breaks my heart to give Interim two stars but at $150 (including two great martinis and 3 generous portions of pinot), it was well over priced for the quality of the salad, the prep in the main course and the final outcome of how the entree came together. Great atmosphere but I believe in the future, I would stick to the mac and cheese, caesar salad and the Interim burger.

• Visited July 2014
Spring, Texas
“Excellent evening”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

During one-night stay at an East Memphis hotel, we looked for a restaurant that was open on Sunday night. Luckily, we found Interim. We shared a fabulous seared-scallop appetizer with a glass of really good Chardonnay. On advice of fellow diners, I selected one of three fish offerings – redfish, perfectly cooked and served with the most delicious couscous and spinach. Hubby chose the grilled chicken breast with potato galette and mushroom sauce, which he pronounced superb. Service was outstanding. Both the open-kitchen restaurant and the busy bar had a relaxed yet ultra-modern vibe. All of it made for an excellent evening.

• Visited June 2014
Vicksburg MS
“great celebratory dinner”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Here with wife, both children and their spouses for a special occasion. Everyone raved about their food, from baby greens salads with hazelnut orange vinaigrette to 3-cheese macaroni and cheese to scallops appetizer to short ribs, lamb shanks, and striped bass entrees to exceptional reasonably priced Cotes du Rhone to cappuccinos to lemon bread pudding, shortcake with strawberry ice cream and jam, to chocolate cake. Flawless service, beautiful dining room, reasonable prices for what we received. Perhaps the best dinner we have had in Memphis in our 20+ years of going there.

• Visited May 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
“Very nice ambience”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Recently had a birthday dinner here with my spouse. Love the warm wood decor, the fact that tables are not packed too tightly. Our waiter was attentive and efficient despite the fact it was a busy Saturday night and it looked like he had a lot of tables. I had the beef short ribs and my husband the fish special of the night -- both delicious. We topped it off by sharing the wonderful coconut creme brûlée. We'd go to Interim more often if the menu were not so limited -- only about eight entrees, and two or three of them are not meats I eat: lamb, duck, etc. But what they do offer is well-prepared, well-presented and tasty, so worth a visit.

• Visited May 2014