“Nice find!!!”
Review of Cafe Laroux By Dejavu - CLOSED

Cafe Laroux By Dejavu
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Chef Gary Williams brings you Cafe Laroux by DeJavu is a Buffet Styled Restaurant serving Breakfast and Lunch. This is an upgrade, but still DeJavu with a twist. Now we are located at 1005 Tillman st. in the United Way building. Cafe Laroux by DeJavu is a Buffet Styled Restaurant serving Breakfast and Lunch. For breakfast, we prepare turkey sausage, shrimp and grits, hash browns and omelets. Lunch will be similar to the DeJaVu menu with "meat-and-three" plates and vegetarian and vegan options.
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This little jewel is tucked away downtown and we were glad we stumbled across it. If it wasn't for the gentleman holding the door open inviting us in we probably would have walked on by. With the door open we could smell the delicious creations being served inside, and that's all it took for us to happily give them a try. We were seated and almost immediately our waiter was taking out drink order. The sweet tea was amazing! We ordered gator bites for an appetizer and they were served with a dipping sauce that was so good I wanted to eat it with my fork!! I ordered crawfish étouffée and chose red beans and rice and garlic potatoes as my sides. The wife ordered the "Big Keith" which was talapia fillets covered in a sauce that had crawfish, shrimp, and lump crab meat in it. She chose cabbage and collard greens as her sides. When the food came out it was piping hot and looked and smelled amazing!! Needless to say everything tasted as well as it looked!!! There are very few places where you can find amazing food, good prices, and absolutely GREAT service! We have definitely found a lil bit of New Orleans right here in Memphis and will gladly be making return trips!!! If you like authentic creole food served by amazing staff this is your place!!!!!

3  Thank Bigdaddy71100

Reviewed February 25, 2014

It was a 1st time experience that was really nice. The staff is really friendly and pleasant. The food was tasty. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is because of the upper seating steep stairs. I had on heels which was scary going down. I will be going back when I'm in the area

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Chef Gary, like myself, is a Katrina refugee from New Orleans now living in Memphis. He was a chef at many famous New Orleans restaurants before Katrina drove him to Memphis, where he decided to stay. He now has two locations in Memphis. The original is on Florida St. in South west Memphis, and he has a new location downtown on the Main St. mall. The Florida St. location is very funky and intimate and the one I prefer for New Orleans ambiance. The downtown location has the same great food, but is slicker and larger. The prices are very reasonable, and there's not a bad offering on the menu. Lunch is best to me at Florida St., but dinner is really only available downtown as Florida St. closes very early (sort of a bad neighborhood at night but no problem during the day.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

After five years of living in Memphis ... I had began to despair of never finding decent Louisiana food around town. I had tried all of the placed I was told offered Cajun/Creole food ... only to leave dejected and sometimes still hungry.

All of that changed when - about two and a half years ago - I discovered DejaVu Restaurant.

Its off on its own in a neighborhood that practically dares you to drive alone down there anytime after six pm.

The building reminds me of some of the run down looking store fronts I have often been known to frequent in various parishes in Louisiana due to the culinary delights to be found inside.

DejaVu may not be in Louisiana but believe me it was no exception.

The friendly folks that run this establishment make you feel as if you have truly been transported to the Quarter and that at any moment a string of beads would be chunked at you by a hopeful patron. No bead throwing or anything like that of course ... however, DejaVu does have very delicious food.

The Menu is more extensive than you may have initially thought when walking in for the first time. There are lots of things on the menu including Vegetarian and Vegan friendly options including Veggie rolls that are stuffed with curried cabbage and - despite my general dislike of raisins - delicious; even the mock chicken salad is decent. Teh menu even includes a list of vegan desert - I like the carrot bread.

The Crawfish Etoufee is holy moly yummy. Perhaps not the best Etufee I have ever had (my favorite Louisiana dish other than Shrimp Creole - which they make pretty well as well) but it comes pretty darn close. The Catfish is pretty good - better blackened than fried.

I have had various dining companions to visit DejaVu with me and combined they have ordered pretty much everything on the menu. I have never heard one complaint from anyone - only praise. The fact that they offer Boudin has offered them major points from my carnivorous Friends.

The prices are ridiculously reasonable - especially for the amount of food you get. The cheapest item on the menu I think is about three dollars and the most expensive under sixteen.

The company and conversation you have with the owners and servers is just about as fantastic as the food. Making for one of the most enjoyable sit-down dining experiences in town.

You will leave DejaVu with a full tummy, a smile on your face, a warmth in the back of your throat from the cayenne that seasoned your food, and a deffinate resolution to return to this delightful piece of New Orleans ... as soon possible.

Now ... if only we could get a Cafe Du Monde ... I would almost not miss good ole NOLA... ALMOST.

2  Thank The_Lady_Gadiva
Reviewed January 20, 2014

While I am not a fan of Memphis cuisine, the Deja Vu is a decent restaurant that caters to vegetarians and vegans as well as carnivores. I liked the staff, who were friendly and helpful. The menu ranges from heavy foods to light vegetarian meals. I had the tilapia and enjoyed it. There are vegan desserts and you may get them as take-out.