“New Downtown Location--51. S. Main St.”
Review of Cafe Laroux By Dejavu - CLOSED

Cafe Laroux By Dejavu
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Chef Gary Williams brings you Cafe Laroux by DeJavu is a Buffet Styled Restaurant serving Breakfast and Lunch. This is an upgrade, but still DeJavu with a twist. Now we are located at 1005 Tillman st. in the United Way building. Cafe Laroux by DeJavu is a Buffet Styled Restaurant serving Breakfast and Lunch. For breakfast, we prepare turkey sausage, shrimp and grits, hash browns and omelets. Lunch will be similar to the DeJaVu menu with "meat-and-three" plates and vegetarian and vegan options.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We checked it out at lunch Sun. 10/13/13, both food and service were superb. I had catfish & vegetables, wife had honey-herb roasted chicken & veggies. All veggies very good. Very varied menu.

Local farm raised catfish was two nice sized filets, I had one fried and one blackened. Fried was perfectly cooked, blackened almost melted in my mouth. Wife said chicken was very good. Meals & fresh iced tea, $25 for two including 25% tip. Wow.

1  Thank flybald

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This restaurant in downtown Memphis has something for everyone. I am vegan and my traveling partner is a pretty "selective" eater, so between the two of us we sometimes have a hard time finding a place to eat for both of us. Deja Vu has something for everyone! Great vegan options, plenty of carnivorous selections and all with a creole flair - awesome food. All good for the "soul"!!! Pork Chops, fried chicken, gumbo, pasta, really varied menu! Service was excellent! No liquor license at this establishment yet but they are working on it. Outside seating and two separate areas for diners inside. Truly a great place - don't miss Deja Vu - you'll want to go again just to sample the different items on the menu!

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This was a first visit to Memphis. We were looking to get away from the Beale Street scene.

We went to the new downtown location on the second night it opened. Chef Gary came out to welcome us and answer questions about the menu. He let us sample his alligator stew...It was the first time tasting alligator. It was so good I ordered it.

Chef Gary sat and talked with us for an hour. We closed the place. It was a perfect night and a perfect dinner in Memphis. Great downtown location.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I love the new restaurant and most importantly, i love the FOOD!!!! Went for lunch during the week and yes it was a little wait, but I didn't mind because I really wanted to try the food. Heard so much about this place from co-workers and just had to try it first hand. The Banana Foster, OMGoooooodness..........so, so, good. Also tried the Poboy (had to stay safe for 1st time), and it was awesome as well. The menu looks great and can't wait to try additional items soon. Thanks for adding a new touch to the Downtown area.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

DejaVu recently opened up their new location on Main Street (near Union). I went yesterday at 2:00. It was still pretty full for a weekday at 2:00, so I sat at the bar. Got my food in a reasonable amount of time & the Po boy was good.
Went back today with several co-workers. We got there at 11:35. We were seated immediately upstairs, but from that point everything was REALLY slow. Upstairs was extremely noisy and hard to hold a conversation. I ordered a Poboy again. Our food took at least 45 minutes to get to the table, and this time the PoBoy was mediocre at best. The bread was not even warm. Others at my table said their food not warm either.
I asked for the check before we were done eating. 10 minutes after we were done I asked again and was told someone else. Another 10-15 minutes and I just went downstairs and asked to pay since we had already been away from work for more than an hour and a half. The cashier pulled up our ticket which had 3 soft drinks included (we all had water). Getting that $6 removed from the ticket created another 10 minute wait. It was ridiculous.
Standing there next to the kitchen was mass chaos. No one seemed to be in charge and everyone seemed confused. The staff seemed extremely disorganized. Part of our problem was that several different people were waiting on us, and the communication between them was non-existent.
Perhaps they'll get things worked in time, but there is no way I will go back here anytime soon, especially not on a weekday during normal lunch hour. Whoever is managing this place needs to get on top of things quickly as I saw several others upset at how slow everything was. It was obvious the staff needs much more training and direction.

1  Thank sc1963