“Cockroaches in bed”

Ranked #111 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Denver, CO
“Cockroaches in bed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Booked this trip through Expedia and couldn't even stay in the room for 5 minutes. Boarded up windows, dark parking lot, and real live actual cockroaches in the bed. Have never seen a worse hotel including traveling abroad. Stay away. Expedia should be ashamed to even have this hotel on their list of offerings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Griswalds04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I agree with the other reviews that this place is downright scary! We only needed a room for one night during our drive from Chicago to New Orleans and found this hotel for cheap but after seeing the room I would rather sleep in my car. From the bulletproof glass at the front desk to the unusual smell in the room I was disgusted and refused to stay. The headboard was broken in half with the partical board propped up against the wall and the bathroom had me running in terror. There was only one light in the ceiling and the glass dome was broken off with multiple lightbulbs missing so the room was dimly lit (this may be purposly done so you cant get a good look at the room). I guess the management is used to this reaction because they had no problem refunding our deposit when we ran from the room in horror.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wendi L
Dunlap, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

All I wanted was a clean room! This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed. We stopped at midnight on our way to New Orleans. In the first room they gave us there was a big mirror that was completely broken and shards laying around. I found chicken bones on the shelf, used gloves on the counters. We asked and received another room. Their were horrible stains in the bathroom and on the towels. Holes in the wall. One of the dresser drawers was missing. Roaches were obvious. I agree with the other posters that the area seemed very unsafe with people lurking outside and yelling and screaming. I went down and got blankets we had in the car and slept on them. All 3 of us had bed bug bites the next day. I tried to convince my wife to get up and leave with me but she did not think it would be a good idea. We got a bargain basement price of 39 dollars plus tax but I will never ever do it again. Under no circumstances would I recommend anybody ever stay here. Quite honestly I would sleep in my car before I stayed anyplace like that again.

Room Tip: travel 5 miles down the interstate and get up 5 minutes earlier the next morning
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank iistyger
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The rooms are cheap, but its not worth staying at the hotel. I live here in Memphis and needed a place to stay while our home was being remodeled. To begin, the staff was very unprofessional. I should have left when I entered the lobby. Bullet proof glass. The lobby was dirty with a strange odor. I kept thinking about the 165 a week as opposed to over 300 dollars. When we entered the room the same smell was in the room as in the lobby. The lighting was horrible, very dim and uninviting. There was one ceiling fixture and a lamp with no lampshade. There was a huge hole in the wall in the bathroom area and there was only one pair of thin dirty towels to use which we didnt. The toilet didnt flush. There were roaches EVERYWHERE. There was a microwave and refridgerator in the room that had roaches inside of both. We were killing roaches the whole week. When I notified the front desk of all of the roaches (on the first night) , the lady said, "yes theres a roach infestation in most of the rooms" . What the hell! Unfortunatly we couldnt afford anything else since there were no refunds on anything. There were crazy looking people standing out every time we went to our cars. I didnt get any sleep at that horrible place. I felt so cheated. And they had the nerve to say they didnt allow pets. There were live in pets already there. This was the worst experience that I had ever encountered.

Room Tip: For tourists going to see Elvis' home, I would advise them to go to the heartbreak hotel if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shenisha M
Bangor, Maine, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Although it is a cheap option for visiting one of the most excellent places on earth, Graceland, please avoid this place. We arrived at the hotel, $172.00 for 4 nights was a great deal! Until, the woman (behind the glass) told us to check our room out before we checked in. So, we drove around back to find our room. As we drove around, people began to peak out of the doors of their rooms, as if they were waiting for someone, or just curious.

We felt uncomfortable right away. Our room was on the second floor, which you had to use stairs to get to because there was no elevator. There were people hanging out in the outside hallways, and on the steps, and I kid you not, holding drinks with paper bags over them. They were talking loudly and cursing. It was obvious that they LIVED in the motel, they were not just staying there.

We had to walk past these people to get to our room. When we entered, at first, it looked "okay" but we noticed that the top lock had been ripped off the wall. We could hear people being loud and obnoxious from our room. One light in the room worked, leaving it very dim. I checked the bathroom and found it to be kind of dingy and dirty. There was a hole in the door of the bathroom that looked like someone had punched it. I peeled back the bedding to check the condition of the bed, and there were cigarrette burns on the sheets. It just felt dirty and not a place to feel comfortable.

When we left the room, we made our way past the people hanging out on the steps and hallways. A maid passed us and asked us what room we were in. We told her the room number to see what she would say. She said, "Oh. Am I doing you right? Everything's okay?" and while that seemed like a nice thing to say, the way she said it made us feel like she was sizing us up to perhaps take a look in and see what was available in our room. When we got to the ground level, we smelled a very strong odor of pot coming out of one of the rooms. We decided to decline the room.

Check out Motel 6 on East Brooks road. Night and day. Great rooms, CLEAN, and not far at all from Elvis Presley BLVD.

We didn't feel safe there, we didn't feel comfortable. We couldn't imagine going back to that hotel room after dark. The rates are cheap, but so is the hotel.

Room Tip: Motel 6 East Brooks Road. Amazing, quiet, pool. Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley BLVD. Clarion Hotel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessi M
East Rutherford, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I checked in and keyed into my room fine. I'm aware a $60 hotel room isn't going to be excellent, but what I got was beyond awful. The room had one light fixture, in the far corner, leaving the entire room dimly lit which I can live with. I walked into the bathroom and noticed a huge hole in the wall. Fine, I can deal with that ($60 room, something has to be wrong with it). I looked down and saw a dead roach, which to be honest didn't deter me right away (again, the price offset this). I checked the towels; they were all dirty and folded - clearly they had not been washed and were just put back into place, which is fine since I used them to plug up the wall anyway. The bathtub/shower did not work; there was no way to get the shower to turn on, so I was forced to take a bath and I could not even do that because there was no plug for the water. I left the bathroom and there was a live roach crawling on the wall which I immediately killed.

I left my room and came back at night. I went to bed and woke up about an hour and a half later at around 2AM. I felt disgusting like some insects were also in the bed (the bedsheets were visibly dirty and had holes from cigarette burns). I felt so uncomfortable that I remained awake, standing on my floor (occasionally leaning against a desk), and watched television until my car service for the airport came at 4AM. At that point I honestly felt it was not even worth it to go back to bed (spotting a third roach solidified this idea). The price you save from this hotel is by no means worth it. Book a hotel somewhere in the downtown area, near Beale Street. I thought it'd be better to be next to Graceland and the airport but the price simply was not worth it (other hotels in the area looked equally seedy and disgusting).

Room Tip: Don't book.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Alex K
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was honestly the worst, most unsafe place I have ever stayed. The hotel staff was behind protective glass and the front desk employee told us the reason was the previous employee had been shot working there. The parking lot was poorly lit and we had to walk down an unsafe feeling alley to get to our room. When we arrived to our room it was beyond filthy. There were stains on the carpet, chairs and refrigerator; the towels were obviously unwashed, there was a drawer missing from the armoire, the phone was broken, and there was a strange odor to the room. After turning on the tv manually since the remote had no batteries we heard someone trying to get into our room with a key card for several minutes. We tried to call the front desk for assistance to find that the phone was broken. The person finally went away and we got a hold of the front desk. They claimed they had accidentally given someone the wrong room number. Either way we weren't sticking around to see what would happen to someone next so we checked out and got a reservation at another hotel. When we arrived at our new hotel they informed us that the American Inn was known around town for being extremely shady and unsafe. I would recommend staying anywhere else in Memphis. Although it was kind of cheesy, the Heartbreak Hotel up the street was reasonably priced and extremely clean and safe.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family