“Excellent Food, Atmosphere, & Experience”

Catherine and Mary's
Reserve a Table
Mon, 6/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #134 of 1,690 Restaurants in Memphis
Reviewed January 18, 2019

We ate here the night before the St. Jude race and had a fabulous experience. Thanks to other reviews on TripAdvisor, I had been warned not to take the waiter's suggestion to partake the "multi course experience"- too pricy and too. much food. The six in our group shared a few starters - C&M call them snacks. The brussel sprouts were fabulous. We each got our own entree, and we had plenty of food. My husband and I both got pasta dishes - Anolini and Spaghetti - both delicious. Everyone in our group enjoyed their food very, very much. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was great!

Reviewed January 14, 2019 via mobile

We ate here Sunday for brunch. The food was spot on, particularly the brussel sprouts!! Our server, Stephanie, was excellent at making recommendations, as well as top notch service! Thank you!!!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 1, 2019 via mobile

We visited Catherine and Mary’s on New Years Eve, while in town for the Liberty Bowl game.

We arrived about 20 minutes early for our 8:45 reservation and were told it would be about 5 minutes before our table was ready. We stepped aside and were seated in about 3 minutes.

The interior of the restaurant is finished in the “industrial” decor that is so popular. With concrete floors and open ceiling, sound does travel so it is fairly loud.

Everything we ate was so flavorful with beautiful presentation. Our server suggested that we order a couple of “plates” and a couple of pastas for the table, and each order an entree. We wanted to taste numerous items so the 4 of us we split most of our dishes beginning with the cheese plate which contained 5 small cheese that were extremely tasty and full of flavor.

We followed up with the Brussels, Radiochio and Sunday Meatballs. All were wonderful. But the Brussels (salad type) were voted the winner. The leaves of the Brussels Sprouts are pan seared and the hearts are shaved. Such a great combo!

Moving on to pastas, we had the MawMaw’s gravy and a couple of selections that are not listed on the online menu. One was an ink pasta with clams and another was a pasta flavored with the short ribs. All were over the top wonderful.

Each couple split an order of the short ribs. So tender and flavorful! We ended the meal with a couple of bowls of gelato (3 flavors per serving). So very good!

The wine selection was very nice. We very much enjoyed a bottle of the Sansonina Evaluna—a wonderful, moderately priced cab. Our server was helpful and very attentive.

If we find ourselves back in Memphis, we will definitely return to Catherine and Mary’s.

Reviewed December 21, 2018

If you want duck this is the place. Often one orders duck in a restaurant but receives a dark dry piece of meat. Catherine and Mary's duck is tender, juicy and delicious. I could have eaten five more pieces. I did miss the fried chick peas but I suppose that is a seasonal dish. Go to Catherine and Mary's- you will always be assured of good service and great food.

Reviewed December 3, 2018

I wanted to be blown away by Catherine and Mary's, but I left a little underwhelmed. And when I'm underwhelmed by a meal that's this pricey, it's hard to give it more than three stars. It just missed the mark for me. We visited Catherine and Mary's for dinner on Saturday when my husband and I were visiting my brother in law in Memphis. None of us had been before, and I picked it and made a reservation for the three of us after doing some Yelp research and happened upon Catherine and Mary's menu. I LOVE Italian food. I'm pretty open to all cuisines, but Italian? It's an easy sell. If I could choose my last meal, it's likely it'd be fresh pasta. And Catherine and Mary's menu looked great.

We got to the restaurant about 15 minutes before our reservation (we walked over from a bar and just got there too early) and were told our table wasn't ready yet. They invited us to get a drink at the bar, which we were happy to do. However, people eat at the bar. When we got to the bar, there were no space where we could walk up and get a bartender's attention and grab our drinks. There were lots of other people in this predicament as well. We ended up standing at one of the corners and awkwardly grabbing our drinks/menus/checks over bar patrons' shoulders unfortunately. As a person that enjoys at a bars myself, I think it's great that Catherine & Mary's offers service at the bar. However, I think it would improve waiting for a table if they left one space without a chair so that a line could form for people wanting to just get a drink while they wait for their table. It took us about 20 minutes to get a menu, order drinks, get our drinks, and pay - all while hovering awkwardly behind bar patrons. Our table was ready before our drinks were prepared or our bill paid, but unfortunately, they didn't offer to have our drinks brought to the table or to have the bill transferred to the table, which would have allowed us to sit.

Once we sat down, I finally started to look around the restaurant. It is beautiful. Very industrial, high ceilings, with some beautiful art and light fixtures. The restaurant isn't huge, but they haven't packed more tables than is reasonable into the dining area.

Service wasn't bad, but it was slow. We had a 7:15 reservation. We probably started eating our appetizers around 7:45 (and we didn't finish our meal until after 9). We started with the spuntini selection (a selection of small plate appetizers for $22). The selection changes, but we had crispy pork, smoked fish pate, green bean & benee, and meatballs. Everything was okay, but nothing stood out to me. We also got an ordered of the Brussells (a la cacio e pepe with brisket burnt ends, honey, and calabrian chile). I was really excited about this starter, because I love cacio e pepe and all of the ingredients listed. However, the dish didn't taste how I imagined based on the description. It was fried brussels on top with a creamy brussels mixture on the bottom. It didn't taste like cacio e pepe, and I couldn't identify brisket burnt ends, honey, or calabrian chile in the dish either.

For our mains, we decided to share four of their pastas. We tried the radiatore (cacio e pepe), gnudi (with nduja, tomato, ricotta, panna gratta), tagliatelle (spelt tagliatelle with short rib, leek, tomato, ricotta vecchio), and the rye cavatelli with parsnip. Of the four, we really enjoyed two - the gnudi and the tagliatelle. The radiatore was simple, which is fine. But 2 of the 3 of us felt that it was too simple - like a pasta on the menu for in case people brought children to the restaurant. Not bad, but not elevated or one of the better version of the dish I've had this year (and I thought the pasta was a bit over on this dish). The cavatelli also wasn't bad, but it didn't wow us, it tasted a little flat. The tagliatelle was very good - good pasta, good sauce, great short ribs. But, for me, the highlight was the gnudi. The texture was light and airy and the sauce was the perfect level of heat. It was the best thing I ate all night.

We decided to try a couple of desserts, too. I'm usually a sucker for Panna Cotta (one of my favorites), but Catherine & Mary's was a bit of a let down. It was served with honey, brown butter oats, and satsuma granita on top. I understand the impulse to give the dish a bit of texture, but this was too much and took away from the Panna Cotta itself. I'm not sure a granita on top of a Panna Cotta works for me. But I enjoyed the Panna Cotta when eaten by itself or with just a bit of the honey and oats. But I did eat the granita first and separately so that I could taste the Panna Cotta. We also tried the Torta del Nona: chocolate, hazelnut, benne seed brittle, pomegranate, cream. My brother in law loved this dessert, and I loved the brittle.

Overall, the meal was okay, but not amazing. And I just expected more.

Date of visit: December 2018

Been to Catherine and Mary's? Share your experiences!