“Elegant, beautiful Hotel”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“Elegant, beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Peabody. I have wanted to stay here for years and there was a very good rate available for the dates we would traveling through Memphis. We arrived around 1:00 and were not surprised to find our reserved room was not ready. The very pleasant lady at the desk offered us an upgrade if that was alright. We were happy to say yes. We can't compare our upgraded room to any others as we had never stayed here before, but the King suite was fantastic!!! A very open room with a couch, chair and coffee table as well as a desk and suit butler. The dresser served as the tv stand and the tv was very large. The bed was the most comfortable bed we slept in our entire 9 day trip. The bathroom was very large and had everything you could need. Lovely toiletries and large fluffy towels. There was a small tv if you enjoy such a thing. We had very friendly bellmen both to help us with check=in and check-out. We were on the 12th floor which is a club floor. The breakfast and afternoon snacks were the nicest we have ever had on a club level. The afternoon cheeses and fruit were very high quality and a what a selection. We especially enjoyed the large shrimp and chicken empanadas on Sunday. The complimentary wine was a very appreciated touch. The lobby bar is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy each others company. This is such a stately hotel, you need to come just to look at the lobby and bar.
Lanskys is a nice place to shop and there is a large variety of goods available for purchase. Our only downturn to our stay here was that the fine restaurant Chez Phillipe was not open. We would have so much liked to have tried it. This is a very special hotel and worth the extra cost to have such nice amenities. I hope to come back again one day. Our one caution for visiting Memphis, don't come over a holiday. This was our second holiday weekend here and so many things are closed. We were happy to have a beautiful hotel to relax in, it made us okay with just hanging out in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Dear Hawaiimama,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. I am pleased to hear that you so enjoyed your stay with us. Our Peabody Dream Beds are definitely among the most luxurious and comfortable available in any hotel. I'm sure they are responsible for many missed morning meetings here.

I am sorry that you did not get to experience Chez Philippe. The restaurant is closed on Sundays and Mondays, but I hope you will visit us again soon so that you can dine there.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
johannesburg, south africa
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Stayed at the Peabody for one night on our drive to Chicago from New Orleans. The hotel is an impressive sight from the street and that continues once you go inside.

Check in was quick and easy as was the check out. The rooms were luxurious and the beds were amazing!

Absolutely loved the lobby and the piano player.

Parking was easy and not too expensive - plenty of space and large bays.

Would have loved to have stayed longer!!

Definatley recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear bigb77,

Thank you for the review and for staying with us. There are more than 50 attractions in Memphis, along with the best blues and BBQ in the country. I hope you will stay longer and have time to enjoy all that Memphis has to offer next time you are here.

Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We "won" a trip to Memphis, with 3-night stay at the Peabody, at an auction. It was the best auction money we've ever spent! It's understated elegance from the first step into the living-room lobby. Staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are divine (bathrooms small but it IS an old hotel, after all), and the location is 5*****. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, or catch the trolley or a carriage. Of course, the DUCKS are a huge attraction. My husband was so captivated by those ducks that he had a table staked out for watching for each morning and each afternoon.

The Peabody is the perfect destination for your trip to Memphis!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear emgTX,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at The Peabody Memphis. I hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had a wonderful time at the Peabody but have patience. Took an extended time for luggage to arrive at our room and to check in. Staff was courteous and friendly. The hotel restaurant served a wonderful breakfast. Absolutely watch the 11:00 or 5 Pm duck show, but get their early, it gets crowded on the weekends. Also see the ducks night time home on the roof. Great views of the Mississippi River from the roof and its fun to see the ducks without the crowds. The Peabody is expensive and much like older hotels everywhere, has small rooms and bathrooms but the little details (duck soap, ducks on the pillow shams) are really nice. Have fun

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Janly,

I'm so pleased to hear that you had a great stay at the "South's grand hotel" and that you got to see the duck march. The ducks attract a large crowd, especially on the weekends, so we like to recommend arriving in the lobby 15-30 minutes prior to the ceremony to get a primo spot along the red carpet.

I apologize that it took a while for your bags to be delivered to your room. We always strive to provide fast and efficient service along with the generous Southern hospitality people have come know The Peabody for.

nyc
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This is simply a classic hotel. The accomodations are elegant and comfortable and what you would expect from a great old Southern hotel. That said, the toiletries could be updated to nicer products and there was not one single open outlet in my large room (#634, Peabody people!). Had to unplug a light to plug in my computer. This is all minor compared to the outstanding service- the concierge and valet staff (Kemp, Josh, Helen, etc) are outstanding and not to be beat anywhere. Love the free internet (I still can't believe other hotels charge for this, and when I had a problem connecting, the hotel had tech support on line immediately).
The Duckmasters take their job VERY seriously and the security on site is professional and unobtrusive. It felt like home and worth paying a little bit more than you would at a nearby Westin, etc.
I would have given 5 stars save for: mediocre coffee in shop, outlet issue, cheap soap.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear beckysuenyc,

Thank you so much for the kind words about our professional and outstanding staff. I will be sure to share your compliments with them. Also, thank you for bringing the issue about the electrical outlets in room #634 to my attention. The desk lamps in all of our guest rooms have an electrical outlet on them for plugging in computers and charging cell phones, but it's always handy to have another option so I'll see if we can move some things around to free up a wall outlet in that room. In addition, we just completed a major upgrade to all of our coffee and tea services. If you return to The Peabody, I think you will be impressed.

Twickenham, London
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We drove up from New Orleans with no Memphis hotel booked. Called into the Peabody for a drink and loved the place so much we stayed the night. This is a GRAND hotel, stylish and classy so staff and environment are totally the best. Rooms beautiful and find dining. Car parking is not expensive, but, of course, the lasting memory of this place is the ducks. Many others will have described them better than I can - they arrive in the elevator from the roof, run along the red carpet and play in the fountain which is the centerpiece of the reception area. They arrive daily at 11,00 and go upstairs to bed at 5.00pm. Get there early if you want the best view.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear howardwarwick,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed you experience in the Lobby Bar so much that you decided to stay the night. The March of The Peabody Ducks is a time-honored tradition that dates back more than 75 years. We always love seeing the looks of surprise and delight on the faces of our guests who are watching the duck march for the first time.

missouri
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I reserved a room with two double beds about 5 months ahead of time. When I arrived, with the 3 friends that I was meeting up with after not seeing them for 5 years...we were given a room with one bed. When I mentioned that I had a reservation I was told there was a convention in town and my reservation could not be honored. I would have left, but since there was a big convention, we had no other option for a place to stay walking distance to Beale. We made the best of it and used the lower mattress as another bed...had fun on Beale Street and laughed about our situation...they couldn't even give us extra bedding, linens, or pillows because "there was a convention ". I do love the Peabody in term of the decor and of course the ducks...I love going up to the top and visiting them:)...but, I was very disappointed in our room...I told my friends that I would get the money back... I did not wan them to pay for that type of lodging...I did complain and was told numerous times I would be reimbursed...that never happened.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank deltablue77
Dear Deltablue77,
I am truly sorry to hear about your experience and to learn that you did not receive the room type you had reserved. We try to accommodate all requests, but occasionally have more requests for a certain type of room that we have available. Thank you for alerting me to the fact that we did not provide extra linens. It is our policy to provide additional bedding, pillows, blankets, etc. whenever they are requested. Thank you again. I appreciate the feedback.