“5 Star hotel, only 3 star service”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #5 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed June 4, 2006

As others have said the lobby is beautiful and does get full around the duck parades, which is a bit of a shame for the paying guests, but that's the way it goes I suppose.

We had tried to book direct with the hotel but found that they never responded to e-mails sent to them unless you had someone's direct e-mail address, if you wish to contact them best to do it by phone.

Our stay didn't get off to the best start as when we arrived at reception we were told that they had no record of our booking! Given that we'd flown all the way to Memphis to get married this was not what we wanted to hear! The hotel staff blamed our tour operator for all faults with our booking, however as some of my family had booked with other tour operators to us and also had issues this excuse looks a little weak, the common denominator was the hotel. After about 30 minutes of heated exchange (including with the duty manager) the staff did eventually come good and check us in with a free room upgrade, so well done for rescuing the situation. For the reception staff, Desirae was excellent, the others we found to be quite offhand and even rude (not a good check out!) and quite frankly we expected better from a "5 star" establishment.

The Concierges were friendly however their information could be a little out of date (was given directions to a cafe that had closed down) but this is a trifling thing and is forgivable.

Some of our family and friends did say that the noise from the streets did disturb them on some nights (particularly the weekend) but we didn't really find this to be a problem.

Bar staff were on the whole very courteous but service did get slow when the bar fills up a bit.

The lifts were a bit of a problem, fine at the start of our stay but by the end only 2 out of the 4 were working which meant looooooong waits for everybody. As we were staying up on the 10th floor, the stairs weren't really an option. This problem was exacerbated on the Thursday night which as others have pointed out is party night up on the roof. If this were limited to hotel guests only it might not be so bad but the hotel floods with visitors heading up and down in the lifts so be prepared for disruption. (Also we found the bands down on Beale Street to be more to our liking but this I accept is just down to personal taste).

I should point out that none of the above ruined our stay, however I can't help but feel that the hotel is a bit over-priced and as a result would probably look elsewhere if visiting again (there is a Holiday Inn directly across the street, thereby sharing the great location)

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank Schmidt-Haus
Write a ReviewReviews (3,389)

Reviewed June 1, 2006

We stayed on the Peabody Club floor and had a very comfortable, oversized room. I believe they called it a "Club King". The Peabody Club was nice, especially their evening o'duerves. Breakfast was a typical continental breakfast with croissants, fruits, breads, bagels, etc.

We found our room to be noisy, however. The glass windows do not appear to have any insulating properties and we could hear noise from activities on Beale Street (apparently every Wednesday night there is a gathering of motorcyclists). We had to use earplugs.

It was difficult to see the parade of ducks. Tour busses apparently bring large numbers of people to the event and lining up even 35 minutes before the event got me 3 deep in people.

The front desk staff was efficient, but not particularly friendly. We did like the free wireless internet service which was available in all rooms.

We would stay there again if we were in Memphis.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank JIMCHI
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I loved my stay at the Peabody - I felt that I was staying in luxury but didn't feel intimidated by it.
Everyone there was courteous and friendly, the rooms were well kept and looked after and the atmosphere was both fun and friendly.
I thoroughly recommend it!!

2  Thank Westra
Reviewed April 21, 2006

Our complaint about the Peabody is that Thursday night is rooftop band night. As soon as we checked into our room on the fifth floor we heard the bumbumbum of the drums and then the wail of the rooftop band that apparently blasts away every Thursday night. The window sill was literally vibrating. Yes, we were gone to dinner for a couple of hours as the band was playing but when we got back to our room at 9:30 we still had to hear it. The fact is, and as I complained to the desk clerk, if I were producing that kind of noise from my room, they would ask me to turn it down. We were told "it was tradition." So what? I want a quiet room. I don't think that's too much to ask. The Hampton Inn, with its 100% guarantee, wouldn't have made me pay for that.

Also, the elevators are slow, and several were out of order.

Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank FranklinOnFoot
Reviewed April 10, 2006

The Peabody was a great disappointment, you do not get the service for which you pay, the rooms are small particulary the bathroom, we were unable to view the famous duck parade as 30 minutes prior to the parade the Hotel Lobby floods with coach parties, who completely obscure the whole event.
The staff are most unfriendly and consider there own importance greater than their overcharged guests

Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank jmhl
Reviewed March 18, 2006

The Peabody is a nice hotel but not a world class hotel by any means. No robes or turn down service, parking very inconvenient and not even an inroom coffee maker. They should have a least an all night coffee shop or dinner.
The lobby lounge was very nice and the walk of the ducks added a special touch.
The walls are very thin, we could hear every word from the family next door. The hotel was very clean but the sercive was just ok.
It also seems to squeeze every extra dollar from its guest. A $9.00 extra hotel fee for morning paper and pool useage even if you do not use the pool plus a $16.00 a day parking charge.

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank steevshirley
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I was very dissapointed with the Peabody. I was expecting a high class hotel and that is not what I got. The carpet in my room was filthy as I could see from walking around in my socks. Any attempts to call the front desk were met with a phone that just rang and rang with no answer. We could never see the duck parade as it was way too crowded. One day our room was never cleaned and when we called we were told everyone had gone home! Most of the restaraunts were very over priced.

On the upside, the Thanksgiving champagne brunch was good as was our server. The hotel lobby bar was a lot of fun as well. The doormen/women were friendly and provided good service.

• Stayed: November 2005