“Overrated”

Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Bristol
“Overrated”
Reviewed April 10, 2006

The Peabody was a great disappointment, you do not get the service for which you pay, the rooms are small particulary the bathroom, we were unable to view the famous duck parade as 30 minutes prior to the parade the Hotel Lobby floods with coach parties, who completely obscure the whole event.
The staff are most unfriendly and consider there own importance greater than their overcharged guests

Stayed September 2005
8 Thank jmhl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Madison Al
Reviewed March 18, 2006

The Peabody is a nice hotel but not a world class hotel by any means. No robes or turn down service, parking very inconvenient and not even an inroom coffee maker. They should have a least an all night coffee shop or dinner.
The lobby lounge was very nice and the walk of the ducks added a special touch.
The walls are very thin, we could hear every word from the family next door. The hotel was very clean but the sercive was just ok.
It also seems to squeeze every extra dollar from its guest. A $9.00 extra hotel fee for morning paper and pool useage even if you do not use the pool plus a $16.00 a day parking charge.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank steevshirley
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I was very dissapointed with the Peabody. I was expecting a high class hotel and that is not what I got. The carpet in my room was filthy as I could see from walking around in my socks. Any attempts to call the front desk were met with a phone that just rang and rang with no answer. We could never see the duck parade as it was way too crowded. One day our room was never cleaned and when we called we were told everyone had gone home! Most of the restaraunts were very over priced.

On the upside, the Thanksgiving champagne brunch was good as was our server. The hotel lobby bar was a lot of fun as well. The doormen/women were friendly and provided good service.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank meenaann
Memphis
Reviewed February 23, 2006

As a native Memphian, I have attended many functions at the Peabody, and I have generally been underwhelmed by the quality of the service and general attitude of the staff. Now, having stayed overnight, I can attest that the rooms are substandard, like the service. The rooms are very small, especially the bathrooms, and, although the rooms have been renovated recently, the quality of the furnishings is not what you expect for the going rate for this hotel.
The Madison Hotel is a boutique hotel just around the corner from the Peabody, and their rooms and service put the Peabody to shame. The decor in the common areas is art deco and very nice. Also, the hotel restaurant at the Madison is highly rated.
Other hotels to consider downtown are the Marriott Residence Inn, which has a great art deco theme like the Madison, and Talbot Heirs, which is like a B&B in a renovated building, with each room a different decor and floor plan.
Downtown bistro restaurants are McEwens, Lolo's Table, and Stellas. They are all very nice, and the bar at Lolo's is a favorite with our downtown office.

• Stayed September 2005
17 Thank TAdvisorfan
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2006

The Peabody is a classy hotel that is also more expensive than other's in the area. I did not see any specials on-line so I called to get a $235 a night rate. We stayed the first night of our stay just to experience it. When checking in they gave us the Concergie floor but we didn't find it extra special. The next nights we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites. The lobby, fountain, bar and decor are very nice. The employees treat you as a guest and are very quick to say Hello or Welcome. The rooms are ok, but the bed was Extremely comfortable. It was like sleeping on a cloud. At night we also returned to our room to find a surprise plate with chocolates next to our bed. If other hotels paid attention to just greeting you and the little things they would be just as nice. The newspaper was also delivered in a cloth bag on our door instead of just dropped. If you don't want to pay the price of the Peabody you would get just as much out of the visit by having a cockatail (or more) in the lobby bar and watching the ducks coming at 11am or leaving at 5pm. It is made into a show and is cute to see. Also, take the elevator to the floor where the ducks live. It is also a nice view. If we stayed again we would walk over for a visit and cocktails. We saved over $55 a night staying at the Hampton and even had a kitchen, livingroom, balcony, bedroom and bath. The Peabody is a nice hotel to visit!

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2006

I went to Memphis for business last week and stayed at the Peabody. I had stayed at a Peabody previously in Arkansas and enjoyed the experience. The room was relatively expensive at ~$280 a night for the superior suite. For Memphis I consider this quite pricey. The lobby was very nice as was the bar. The rooms however were the size of shoeboxes.....I was looking at the ceiling for the airholes. I called down to the front desk to confirm I was given a suite and not the janitor's closet. I was told that it was a historic hotel and these things are expected. The surrounding areas were nice, but I think I'll go to the doubletree next time.

Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2005

The Peabody just misses the desciption of a Luxury Hotel. For example, no robes, cheap amenities (soaps, lotions etc), no mini-bar etc.
I stay in Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons and Pennisula hotels. The Peabody is not close to the attention to details that true Luxury Hotels are. The "Salon/Spa" was similiar to the quality you would find in a strip mall.
The Lobby is overcrowded with people wanting to see ducks walk to a fountain. I just don't get the attraction to the "event".

However, the location is close to Beale Street, which is very touristy, but fun.
The beds are high quality and my suite was pleasant. The bathroom was so small, I had to step in the bathtub to close the door.
This is said to be the best hotel in Memphis (????).

Stayed October 2005