“Summer weekday stay”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Peabody while passing through on our way back to Chicago from Houston. We booked through Priceline and were pleased when we saw the result. We even used the option to add a night and explore Memphis for an extra day. (This did go through as two separate reservations, so our room key deactivated after the first night which was frustrating as we had to cart a baby back and forth as we figured it out).

This is definitely an older hotel (some definite visible ware), but top notch amenities. We decided to upgrade to the club floor upon arrival. It was an extra cost in addition to the $12 every guest has to pay no matter how you book. As we were traveling with our infant daughter and appreciated the club floor extras (wine upon arrival, light snacks and water/soft drinks/coffee anytime, continental breakfast, evening appetizers, nighttime cookies and milk, included valet, and a slightly larger room on the 12th floor). There was a party on the roof for some event (on a Tuesday) so the music was loud, but we were tired so it didn't seem to pose much of an issue. However, I could see it being an issue. The hotel does host a rooftop party every Thursday throughout the summer, so I can assume that could be a problem. We did see that hotel guests are able to get into the party free from 6-7.

The ducks are cool to see (not necessarily the main reason to spend extra $$ staying here though). We happened to walk in about the time they were heading into the fountain (11am), don't blink, you'll miss it. Hotel guests (and bar customers) are allowed to sit in the lobby/bar for this, others are not. We also happened to be heading up about the time the ducks were leaving (5pm). We decided to take the elevator up to S, we got a personal viewing as they exited the elevator which was kind of nice! The baby did like seeing them so close! Be sure to also check out their "palace" on the rooftop too, we went in the morning before they went down. Beautiful view!

The Corner Bar (not lobby) was nice, but service was awful during happy hour.

The hotel was the perfect distance to Beale street. Everything felt very safe.

Stayed: July 2014
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Dear rusty0707

Thank you for your detailed review. I am pleased that you chose to stay at The Peabody during your short stop in Memphis. It sounds like you got a great deal, and were able to upgrade to our club floor. Upon your next visit I’d encourage you to make your reservations through our special offer on TripAdvisor. There guests are able to receive 10% off our best rate. I hope you and your family visit The Peabody again soon.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,357)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Upon check in, which was really ok, it took them ovr 45 minutes to get our bags to the room, and that was after 3 phone calls to the desk. (and they were not busy!) One of the times we called, whoever answered the phone said, I don't know where they are, i am in the basement, nice.
The room service was ok, the girl that delivered our morning coffee and danish was very nice and it did arrive as they said it would.
The bathroom needs alot of work, whoever designed them must have been sleeping on the job, I understand they are SMALL, but the cabinet of sorts under the cracked sink was so close to the toilet, you could only use one finger to flush and that was testy. Not good, and also the huge bug we captured in the bathroom was really gross, glad I didn't find it in the bed!!
I am surprised there wasn't at lease a small refrigerator in the room to keep our champagne cold, so we figured, ice would work, sorry, no ice in the ice machine. They need to step it up a little if they want to compare to other hotels in the area.

1  Thank sab2215
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear sab2215,

I apologize for the complications you experienced during your recent stay. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention as I have sent your review to department managers to serve as a training tool. As you know The Peabody is a historic property built in 1925. Because of this, some of our bathrooms do tend to be a bit smaller than those in more modern hotels. In fact, the sink cabinets you mention were custom built for each room’s unique layout to ensure optimal space and storage. Upon your next visit, I encourage you to contact our housekeeping department if you’d like to request a refrigerator. They can be placed in your room for a small fee.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here recently for four nights. Upon check-in I was put in a room with a noisy light. Two engineers couldn't figure out what was wrong so I was moved at 11:30 PM the night of check-in. The situation was handled quickly which was appreciated.

The property is magnificent! It is really a gem to see. This historic hotel is better suited than many five star properties I have stayed at. The rooms were spacious, although the bathroom was a wee bit small. The lobby should be checked out even if you are not staying at the property. Amazing decor and aura in this place. Details are tended to and the service is impeccable! In almost all communication with staff, they were polite, courteous and helpful. It is only two blocks away from Beale Street so if nightlife is what you are looking for this is the place. The rooftop party on Thursday evenings in the summer gets loud but they do end at a reasonable time.

When returning I will bring my family and stay at the Peabody. My children would love the ducks!

Room Tip: There really are not rooms with great views but the corner rooms have two windows looking out in two...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Dear Kswany,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. I apologize that we were not able to fix the light in your initial room, but grateful that you were understanding and allowed us to move you. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay, taking advantage of our close proximity to Beale Street. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We upgraded to the Peabody clibrooms on arrival for $80 per nigth and it was worth it for the free parking, complimentary drink, continental breakfast and afternoon snacks. Our room (on the 11th floor) was spacious and clean, though without much of a view, although the Memphis skyline is perhaps not the prettiest. As we stayed over a Thursday night we went up to the rooftop for the party, although the music ended up not being our thing. We could hear the party from our room a couple of floors below, but they ended at 11pm, which seems perfectly reasonable (unless you have young children, in which case I'd recommend a lower floor).

Dear GonzaloSM-

Thank you for staying at The Peabody. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your time and took advantage of the clubroom upgrade you were offered. As you said, every Thursday night during the summer we host and annual Rooftop Party, which is a 75 year tradition at the hotel. Guest get into the party free from 6:00 to 7:00pm. I hope you get the opportunity to visit The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

This is our second time at The Peabody in Memphis. The first time we were able to spend only one night this time we stayed for four. Our plan was to stay only three but the weather was bad so we changed our plans. We had connecting rooms so the dogs could go back and forth. We love this hotel it is dog friendly and people friendly. Everyone is very nice, had some problems with checking in they had been booked solid and our rooms weren't ready but they got them ready as soon as possible. We like to stay where we can get room service when possible we don't live our dogs alone in a room ever. Room service here is great the fries were the best I have had in a long time. This time we got to see the ducks, no dogs around the ducks my sister stayed in the room with the dogs she didn't care about the ducks. We explored the whole hotel asked questions, shopped till we dropped, ate and didn't leave the hotel at all. We found everything we wanted right there. But I am sure others would want to roam the area. There are places to eat just steps for the door. Our rooms were large, the bathrooms are small big enough for we needed them for. Service excellent, staff super nice and very helpful all of them. Will we stay again you bet. Would I tell others sure. They have a few issues with steps it is an older hotel but we were able to work with it. Just do them slower.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet so I don't know if all rooms are as quiet. I don't even know if we were...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sharob2,

Thank you for visiting The Peabody. I’m glad that you and your sister brought your dogs along to enjoy the “South’s Grand Hotel.” As you said, aside from being “people friendly,” The Peabody is also pet friendly. Upon check-in pets receive a dog bowl, waste bags, welcome dog biscuit, walking map, and pet hospital info. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of our amenities during this trip to The Peabody. I hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I live in the Memphis area but wanted to stay at the Madison or Peabody for my birthday. I booked for 5 nights through Priceline and ended up with the Peabody. I will say the the service is exceptional except for two very significant incidents. the first was in the lobby area. I ordered the coffee service and the server was not has good and what i had come to expect considering the treatment i had received the 3 days prior. she seemed rude to me and my husband noticed it also. I ordered coffee and she brought out cream that was sour. we where told that they have been having some refrigeration problems and that told she would change it in the back. she came back with more cream but it was clear that she just poured out the original rancid cream and put the new cream in the same container without even rinsing it out. the new cream also curled in my coffee, though not as much, because it was mixed with the old cream. I pointed this out to a different server and she was more friendly and corrected the situation.

the other incident was the discovery that we had been sleeping in under urine stained bed covers. I rarely take advantage of housekeeping at hotels. I prefer to just requested clean towels and hand the housekeeper my trash when I see them in the hallway. so the entire stay we did not have them make our bed or clean our room. On the morning of the 5th day for some reason the top covering was pulled down and the revealed the covering underneath and to my horror there was a stain that appeared to be urine on the covering. I called the hotel and the assistant director for housekeeping responded accordingly. she said there would be compensation to the bill. the compensation was to remover the wifi charges and parking charges that I didn't incur because I did not park there. I realize that the assistant director could know this but i pointed it out to the front desk manager. not only did she not care that i was charged for parking that i did not use but she offered nothing in it's place. We ate food a every restaurant there including room service as well as having drinks in both bars and she did nothing on the bill except adjust for charges that we should have been reversed such as a movie that wouldn't play in our room.

Very disappointed in the Peabody. This is not 4 star service.

1  Thank Varonica C

Dear vrcoop,

Thank you for telling us about your recent experience at The Peabody. I apologize for the issues you encountered, but appreciate you bringing them to our attention. I have sent your review to our engineering department to look into the refrigeration issue. In regards to the stain on the bedding, we immediately took your room out of commission, and found the stain to be from a wax we use when ironing. I again apologize for your stay, and ask that you please contact me directly to discuss your stay further.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Our stay here was very nice. Very clean hotel. We ate our Sunday morning breakfast meal inside the hotel. The food was tasty and fresh, with a good price. The service was great and the manager was present. The rooms are small; which is to be expected due to the age of the hotel. The hotel had a nice smell and we had no complaints. Be sure to ask for a room that is not near the elevator. We request a room change after 20 mins. due to the loudness of the elevator and voices. The walls are pretty thin. The pool was clean, as well as the locker rooms and the dry sauna. The staff was very friendly overall. The daily valet was over priced at $26 a day. The beds were very comfy. The view from the roof top was nice. We were able to see the fireworks display Saturday night, after the baseball game. I would recommend this hotel. We were not able to find a deal. At $249 a night, it should come with free breakfast or free valet.

Room Tip: Our room number was 1011, you can see fireworks from this side of the building.

Dear gtjrpj,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in Memphis, and were able to watch weekend fireworks from Autozone Park on our Rooftop. Upon your next visit, I’d encourage you to book through our TripAdvisor special offer. This deal offers guest 10% off our best available rate. I hope you visit Memphis again soon.