“An integral part of our Memphis stay. . .”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Pennsylvania
“An integral part of our Memphis stay. . .”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This historical hotel charms on several fronts. Let's get the cute duck discussion out of the way. . .the duck tradition was intriguing, even for little old grown up me, and my 10 and 12 year old got a LOT of mileage out of the twice daily ritual. Not to be missed.

Walking through and hanging out in the grand lobby was great. . .piano entertainment every night, lots of history and atmosphere. The deli had a good selection of pastries, homemade oatmeal and basic breakfast options in the am, with an unusually gourmet selection of pastries for that early evening sweet tooth.

Service was good, employees very polite and helpful, and went out of their way to help us. Josh in the steakhouse and host Chris were especially kind to help us one night, as my little boy was dying for a piece of chocolate mousse cake in the just closed deli. Not a problem-while the rest of the family dined from the steakhouse menu, a piece of cake was cheerfully retrived for him.

The parking garage was a bit of a hike, although was accessible through a walkway. I found it a bit confusing upon arrival as to where valet parking was.

Room was comfortable and elegant, bathroom was complete, but smallish, as typical with most historic hotels. Bring a hanging toiletry bag to hang on the door hook, it will make things much easier.

Right across from the ballpark, down the street from the Belz Museum of Asian Art (impressive) and a short walk to the historic and useful trolley line.

I was so surprised how much I enjoyed our Memphis stay, and the atmosphere of the Peabody was integral to our stay, a unique historic property.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Morris, Illinois
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent the night for a weekend get-a-way. The hotel was beautiful, but VERY busy. I was surprised to see so many kids! The lobby was always packed, so we really weren't able to enjoy it. It would have been nice to relax with a drink, but the environment was far from relaxing. The elevators were always busy and the wait was fairly long. The hotel is conveniently located - walking distance to Beale Street. We loved Memphis, and hope to visit again, but would likely look for a different downtown hotel - especially considering the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I spent a lot of time as a child across the river in West Memphis visiting family and always heard about the Peabody and the ducks. Now as an adult I can afford to stay at the Peabody (not cheap) and I have to say that it lived up to the expectations set by those stories in my childhood. The hotel has a grand opulence that was exactly what we were looking for. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous, which was nice as the one issue we had was that the layout is a little confusing and there could be more signage outside to help us find the front (we came down 2nd street and didn't know that we needed to stay on 2nd instead of turning on Union).

The ducks! It is a little silly and I thought I would be disappointed (its just ducks walking out of a fountain after all) but I loved it! The tradition behind it and the little kids lining the red carper helped to make the duck walk at 5:00 wonderful.

We also loved the drinks at the bar in the lobby. They have a version of the Moscow Mule - the Mississippi Mule (using vodka from Mississippi I believe) and it was delicious and refreshing after an afternoon spent in the sun on Beale st.

Finally the location is perfect - easy walk to Beale st and live music and easy access to the bridges and highways.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Togeron,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at The Peabody. I am glad that after many years of hearing about the “South’s Grand Hotel” and the world-famous Peabody Ducks, you were able to experience a stay as an adult. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Yatte Yattah, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Arrival at the hotel is quite confusing. We ended up in the self park section which then required an epic effort to get from the car park to reception. The woman at reception suggested that we might like to upgrade to the executive floor because we would get a nicer room,breakfast and valet parking. My husband, after our marvellous stay at The Hermitage Nashville, thought we would really enjoy an upgrade. Unfortunately, we were WRONG. Very wrong. Our room was pretty, however the cleanliness of the bathroom was well below our expectations. The grouting in the bath was mouldy, the toilet lid was broken and grotty and the floor tiles were not very clean. We reported this immediately to the hotel, however they did nothing to rectify this issue during our 2 night stay. This uncaring attitude was what we came to expect from The Peabody Staff. When you look around the hotel it seems as though the hotel is excessively over staffed. There are employees standing around, doing absolutely nothing - all the time. We carried our own luggage, opened our own doors and were never greeted by name by any staff member. The breakfast and evening canapés were well below the quality offered in other hotels we have stayed at. It was such a disappointment. After going for a run my husband returned to the hotel and realised that I was going to miss out on seeing the ducks. My husband asked the downstairs concierge to contact me and tell me to come downstairs. However, my husband was treated very rudely by the concierge who looked him up and down and refused to contact me. My husband was extremely distressed by this encounter. The size of the hotel means that 'guests' are just $$$. Personalised service and guest recognition are clearly not a priority. I did see the ducks and would say that the Duckmaster was the only bright spark in a sea of employee robots. Check out was also fraught with bill errors. Overall, a truly disappointing experience. I would not ever consider staying at The Peabody again.

Room Tip: Stay at The Madison instead
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PrincessPenny_12,

I apologize for your experiences during your recent stay at The Peabody. The Peabody is a historic hotel that was built in 1925. As you know, our parking garage was built much later and is adjacent to the hotel. When choosing to self park your vehicle, we encourage guests to drop their bags with our staff and then use the air-conditioned walkway that leads to the lobby of the hotel. We also have valet parking available. I’m sorry for the complications you experienced with your guest room and service levels. This is not typical of a stay at The Peabody, and I again apologize.

Saltash, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The service in the Corner Bar is TERRIBLE our PATISSERIES were severed with plastic fork and plates and the drinks never turned up after 1/2 hour of waiting and there was only 20 people.A pretentious bar manager putting on a cheap cocktail promote without all the ingredients.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank paul a
Dear Paul A,

Thank you for stopping by The Peabody during your visit to Memphis. The Corner Bar offers weekday happy hour events that include drink specials and complimentary appetizers. I apologize for your wait time during your visit. I hope that on your next trip to Memphis, you choose to stay at The Peabody.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The Peabody is a stunning older hotel whose appearance lives up to the hype. Our experience with the service was very hit or miss. We had to wait in line twice to check in, after being told that our room would be prepared on a rush basis and that we would be called when it was ready. No call ever came, and when we tried to avoid waiting in line again the concierge was completely disinterested in helping. We ordered breakfast one morning and the coffee came without cream - we asked the staff to delivery some cream, and like the phone call it never came. The room was very nicely done but the bathroom needs a rehab and the ironing board and iron should be replaced. Not necessarily a bad stay, but hardly the seamless service one would expect of a truly first rate hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Buckozzle,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at The Peabody. I apologize for the complications you experienced during check-in. Unfortunately the day of your arrival was a high check-out day and not all rooms were available when you arrived. I’m sorry that our concierge was unable to assist, but they do not have the ability to check a guest into their room. I hope that you return to Memphis soon, and choose to stay at The Peabody again so we have the opportunity to show you a more typical stay.

Oceanside, California
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The historic Peabody Hotel is not to be missed when you're traveling through the Memphis area. The rooms were beautifully appointed and the location is superb. Easy walking distance to the famous Rendezvous restaurant for Memphis Ribs and Beale Street Blues. The parade of ducks is sweet but only last a few minutes. Get there early if you want to get a good seat for watching the ducks march in and out of the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family