“One of the best hotels ever!”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We traveled to Memphis last week and took your advice and wanted to stay at either your first or second rated hotels there. Stayed at Hampton Inn on Beale and it was ok but we decided to walk over to the Peabody and from the moment I walked into the lobby, I knew I wanted to stay there. So we made the arrangements and it was the best decision ever. Everyone of the personnel there was attentive to any need one might have. The accommodations were fabulous, bedding extremely comfortable, everything perfect, down to the built-in headboard reading lights to the motion sensored footing lights just in case you had to get up at night. The duck tradition was fun and the lobby offered a place to people watch, eat delightful sweets, and drink your favorite libation. Made our trip.

Room Tip: We reserved a corner king bed room and an adjoining two-bed room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Linda S,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased that at the moment you walked in our lobby, you knew you wanted to stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel.” We hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Peabody Memphis

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a truly grand hotel from much grander days! Stayed here with a family group for son's graduation from college. We were kindly accommodated with rooms on the same hallway, despite having made reservations somewhat late and heavy bookings for both graduations and a few conventions that were also at the hotel. Overall, service was excellent, from the maids to the desk personnel, to the restaurant staff.

Location is great for seeing sights downtown (most within walking distance; short cab or drive to Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken, Sun Records, Stax, and other greats) and they provided coupons for breakfasts and some cocktails during our stay, so that helped with the cost. The coupons may have been a limited special, but worth looking into, when you're planning or contacting them for reservations. We reserved directly with the hotel and felt we got as good or better a rate as any we found online. Valet parking is expensive (as it is at all city hotels, imho). Self parking is not quite so bad, but it's a surprisingly long, confusing walk from the garage back to the hotel, so be forewarned to get directions and try to park on the level with the elevated breezeway back to the hotel.

Best tip--if you have small kids, get to the fountain area well before 5 and get them to the front to see the ducks march. It seems silly, but it's frankly enchanting and gets crowded. If you have or are an older "child," great to watch from the mezzanine.

Room Tip: As far as we could tell, there are no "bad" rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jamminedward

Dear jamminedward,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody to celebrate your son’s graduation. It is The Peabody’s goal to ensure every guest has an exceptional stay through gracious southern hospitality and exceptional service. I am pleased to see this was true with you stay. It sounds like you took advantage of The Peabody’s close proximity to Memphis’ most famous attractions and restaurants. On your next visit, even if you choose not to valet park, I encourage you to drop your bags at our valet entrance. Our staff will happily hold your bags, and direct you through our breezeway and to the hotel’s entrance.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Luxe and lovely. I loved staying at this property - boutique but so elegant! I visited in early Jan 2014 during the freezing cold of the 'polar vortex' and despite the weather I am so glad I stayed here... with its location and appointments it has so many pluses! Antique and historical without being fussy and boring.

Very friendly staff.
Lovely and well appointed rooms.
Historic building is gorgeous and the lobby is a must for drinks if you have meetings.
The ducks in the lobby are adorable! They have daily 'walks.'
Restaurants on site are very good but can be expensive.
Easily accessible downtown location works for meetings and cocktails.
FREE wifi.

It's a place to splurge since it is a bit expensive but the service and attention from the staff make it place to stay if you are in town for work meetings since everyone knows where its at. Can't afford to go stay the night? Just go for a cocktail or adult hot chocolate and see the ducks! So cute and unique!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The ducks made it for me lol. Expensive though! Stayed one night but wish we could have stayed longer. Loved having a few drinks in the loby as well in the big luxurious seats. Beal street just round the corner too

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I LOVED this hotel. I love the feel of old style charm. This hotel is beautifully maintained.
The marching of the ducks is fabulous. I truly enjoyed it. I believe they march at 5 PM. Ask at the desk when you check in. I stood on the upper balcony. Not a great view. Get there about an hour early if you really want to see the ducks and the Grand Master. Sit at one of the tables or get close to the center elevator. Fabulous!!!
The rooms are newly renovated and beautiful. You could see the city view out the window. We were up fairly high. The bed is comfortable. My friend and I loved it. Pure luxury!
You can walk to Beale Street form here. This is all of the night life. Lots of police presence so we felt very safe, Had a wonderful dinner on Beale. Got a drink and watched the crowd from a balcony. Great fun
Breakfast was included with our room. Breakfast was fabulous!! Not one complaint. Great service and food.
The only bad comment I have;which isn't really bad, would be the check in clerk.
The clerk who checked us in wasn't very knowledgeable. I just asked someone else. Not a big deal.
There is also a shop downstairs that sells Radko Peabody ducks. had to have one as a memory. Very cute.
This is an expensive hotel. Should you have the money to splurge I say do it.
The Peabody has deals on their website. We did use a special. It was great!

Room Tip: Higher level
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Dewey4321,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your recent trip to Memphis. As you mentioned the ducks march at 11am and 5pm. Arriving 30 minutes prior to the march should ensure a good view. I am pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the historic ambiance of the hotel. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a work conference, and really enjoyed it. The staff were attentive, the food was delicious, the furnishings were updated yet charming, and of course the ducks were a nice treat to see mid-morning and in the evening. What a neat tradition for such a historical hotel to uphold.

The hotel gets four stars because my room was next to a staircase and the walls were a bit thin, and also because I had something delivered here--we worked it out with the hotel's receiving division before, but I was charged $30 in 'receiving charges' even though it wasn't mentioned up front, and it couldn't be removed.

Overall, a very nice experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank S H
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear S H,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody during your work conference. I am pleased you enjoyed your time at the hotel and had the opportunity to see both a morning and evening duck march. I apologize for the miscommunication involved in your receiving charges. The hotel offers guests the ability to receive packages at the hotel, but this does involve a small fee of $10 for any package under 15lbs. All packages over 15 lbs. are charged at .75 a pound. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, I hope you return to Memphis and stay at The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Peabody is the epitome of character and attention to detail. The public areas were beautiful, clean and the staff was very obliging. My suite was so tasteful. The colors were relaxing, the furnishings were classy and the bed was so comfortable. A clever added detail, motion activated lights under each nightstand. We loved that we could walk anywhere we wanted to go. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the famous ducks but the fountain looked was amazing.

• Stayed: January 2014