“What a gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
London
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Had a marvellous time at this charming and delightful grand hotel which oozes style. It flowed with genuine old Southern style with many unique and individual touches including the free duck shaped soap in the bathroom, parading duck ceremony in the lobby to the amazing bakery and cafe tucked in the corner. Lovely staff too and a great location. Our room was gorgeous and very roomy, tastefully decorated. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a nice traditional holiday meal when business took us to Memphis over Thanksgiving. Thought the Peabody would take good care of us, so booked the 2:00 buffet seating. Good: plentiful and well-prepared food presented in the elegant mezzanine and a delightful server, Crystal. Bad: crowds of 2:00 diners herded into a holding room for 35 minutes after prepaying, presumably to await table availability. But when we were finally escorted to the dining room at the end of the hall, one of several vast ballrooms commandeered for the occasion, there were dozens of empty tables! The wait apparently was for crowd control. The hotel chooses to keep meal prices (relatively) low and attract the masses (including one memorable slob in bright orange sneakers).
Upon returning to our hotel we met an elegantly dressed couple on their way to an evening, à la carte dinner at the Peabody's elegant Chez Philippe restaurant. If I had only known of this opportunity (not advertised on the hotel website), it might have better suited our tastes.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear MarJD,

Thank you for joining us for Thanksgiving Brunch. Holiday brunches are a popular tradition at The Peabody as we celebrate with hundreds of guests each year. As you mentioned, brunch is served grandiose style on the Mezzanine overlooking the lobby. The menu includes traditional holiday favorites and much more. Like you said, Chez Philippe and Capriccio Grill also serve special Thanksgiving Dinners that are equally impressive and elegant, and we are to proud to list those dinners among the Thanksgiving events across all of our marketing platforms. I hope that on your return visit to Memphis you choose to stay at The Peabody and join us at one of our restaurants.

MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were excited to finally stay at The Peabody. It is an icon and can hold it's head high.

Personnel on arrival and during stay were personable and attentive, but not intrusive. Room was clean and pleasant. It was small and the bathroom was at, or near the smallest I've had recently. My brother upgraded to a king sitting suite and the room was much nicer.

I still love to watch ducks ride on elevators and the staff for the twice daily show deserves kudos for the show!

Would I go back? In a blink. I would inquire about the availability of a king bed suite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights.

Pros: The most gorgeous lobby, beautiful swimming pool and hot tub. Clean spacious room (agree with others on the nifty floor lights beside the bed!), little extras like free shoe shine and coffee in the morning, luxury robes. The duck parade was very cute.

Cons: Teeny tiny bathroom! We could not afford to eat in the restaurants (but found many places locally). Lobby very crowded and desks always busy.

We really enjoyed our stay and enjoyed immersing ourself in the hotel's history. A five minute walk from Beale St and we joined on a trip to Graceland that picked us up from the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the lifts as they are quite noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Dear Sarah M,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. It sounds like you were able to enjoy The Peabody’s convenient downtown location and close proximity to Beale Street. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and extra amenities including The Peabody Athletic Club, which features our Grecian-style indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool spa, shoe shine and morning coffee in The Peabody Deli and Desserts. I hope that you have the opportunity to stay at The Peabody again soon.

Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Staying at The Peabody. The location couldn't be better without a car. Walking distance to Beale St; shuttles one short cab rides to Graceland, civil right museum and other Memphis hot spots. This is a beautiful hotel. We are staying on the 12th floor, The Peabody Club, which is an upgrade from what I booked but worth it!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave S
Shawnee, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was great place to stay, we had our nurse navigator conference there. All the food was excellent, service was great. They make you feel very special. Duck parade was very cute and the historical part was of great interest to me. The best part I like about our room was the little extras, nice comfortable robes, big rooms, but the little light under the night tables that came on when you got up in the dark was a great idea. I love them and want them in my home. They are motion censored, so they see movement from a few feet away come on and stay on for a bit then go off, just enough to get something without blinding you or your partner. The beds very comfortable. You are only a few blocks away from all the night life, so just walk. I just wish there was a small ice box and microwave, as I eat very healthy and bring most my own diet. But had a great time there but a bit pricey for me if I was just going on vacation. This was business so the company paid for this stay otherwise I would have not stayed here. I could not afford it.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem pretty quiet but my boyfriend said it was too noisy at night, could hear people a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rbijkerk,

I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Peabody during your recent business conference. As you mentioned, our newly renovated rooms include unique features such as motion censored lights under the bed. This feature is very helpful, lighting your path while not disturbing your partner (by the way, similar motion sensors are commercially available online and in several large housewares stores, if you’d really like them for your home). Upon your next visit if you’d like a refrigerator or microwave in your guestroom, please contact our housekeeping department. Whether for business or leisure next time, I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my first time in Memphis and I was so excited about staying at the famous 'Peabody', however, I left very disappointed!! The lobby was over crowded and the servers were very slow. I was on the tenth floor and went to the vending area for a drink and some ice, niether machine worked. There was a blood stain on one of my pillow cases, the bathtub drained VERY slow, it was up to my ankles by the time I got out of the shower. I will not be staying again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Brooke S,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your first trip to Memphis. I apologize for the complications you experienced during your visit. Your experiences aren’t typical of a stay at The Peabody, and I urge you that on your next visit that you alert our front desk if the vending area on your floor isn’t working or your room isn’t up to The Peabody standards. I hope you visit Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,