“All Hail Doug the Duckmaster!”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Pearl River, New York
“All Hail Doug the Duckmaster!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

For several months, my mom & I planned a pilgrimage to Graceland, a place my mom had wanted to see since she was a teenager. She had done research on the area and found a YouTube video of the famous Peabody Duck March, and it quickly became as much of a must-see as Elvis' estate. So one can imagine her profound disappointment when the tour we had planned to take (which included a stop at the March) was unceremoniously canceled. Since we were nearby, we decided to stop in to see the ducks in their famous fountain and have a drink even though we were hours before for the March.

We sat at a table near the fountain and watched four playful ducks swim around & "talk" to the people sitting nearby. Keeping them within their confines was a regally-dressed man with a duck-decorated cane: the Duck Master, and his name was Doug. He greeted us at our table and my mother, a talker, engaged him in conversation and told him about our tour cancellation. He encouraged us to come the following day as he conducts tours of the hotel. Unfortunately, we were leaving so we thanked him and said we'd stay awhile and enjoy the ducks before going back to where we were staying.

Moments later, our server came by with a "reserved" tent for our table, and Doug came by and said that he hated to see guests to Memphis leave disappointed. So, he took us on an "abbreviated" tour of the hotel. We saw beautiful ballrooms, Lansky's clothing shop, the restaurant and the roof, all while Doug regaled us wonderful stories of Memphis history, its industrial growth, musical influence and social scene. He spent well over an hour with us and when we returned to our table, we were not only well educated, but we were right on time for the Duck Parade, which we saw from the prime real estate reserved for us by the bar staff.

We can't thank Doug enough for his generosity, for he made our trip complete. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, stop in for a drink and the ducks...and if you're lucky, a tour with Doug!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RLL-NY
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear RLL-NY,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I am pleased that you had the opportunity to visit The Peabody and attend the world-famous Duck March. As you mentioned, Doug our Assistant Duckmaster is very knowledgeable about Memphis history and gives fantastic tours. I will pass along your kind words. I hope that on your next visit to Memphis you have the opportunity to stay at The Peabody.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
Sierra Vista AZ
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We made our reservations in advance, online. We knew the hotel was pricey (for us) but this was a special trip and we had heard of the Peabody for many years, so were willing to pay for the experience of staying. I've read reviews where people got rooms for under $200, but we paid $260/night PLUS all the extra fees.

Our room itself was spacious and comfortable. We were on the 4th floor, facing Union Ave. Of course the highlight of our 2 night stay was seeing the duck parade. We enjoyed the rooftop vistas and the elegant lobby. But when it came to thinking of meals, we chose to eat elsewhere. I use a rolling walker, and the only way for me to access the Capriccio Grill and/or the Deli was to exit the building, go outside, around the corner and enter through a different door. I understand the hotel is older and access for the disabled was not part of the plan. But I was still disappointed about the cumbersome way disabled guests must access the dining facilities.

We paid for self parking ($18 per day) yet our key cards would not work to enter or leave the garage and we had to call for help. The attendant stated the year-old system still had glitches. In addition, the garage is a LONG LONG walk for a disabled senior. I inquired about closer-in handicap parking but was told the only other option was valet parking ($26).

When we left, I took the little duck & soap combo that was sitting on the desk with a sign that stated taking it would result in a charge of $8. I've been charged $9.75 on my credit card. At this point $1.75 is petty. Everything. from coffee to food to gift items, is overpriced, but I guess that's to be expected for a hotel with higher room prices.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and were prepared to spend more than normal for the experience, which we did, especially when adding in tipping. It's just too bad we ran into a couple little problems. Not sure if we'd stay here again if we were ever back in Memphis. We've had the experience once, and that's what we went for.

Dear neeliec,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody and for your detailed review. Like other hotels, the added fees you were charged included state and city taxes, parking and our hotel service fee. I apologize that you were unaware of these before your arrival. In addition, I am sorry for the inconveniences you experienced entering Capriccio Grill. As you mentioned, the hotel was built in 1925. While we’ve been able to create alternate entrances for every location within the hotel that exceed ADA compliance, some are admittedly cumbersome. We do offer an electronic chair lift to ascend the 5 steps by Capriccio Grill, but we find that most guests prefer to go around to the outside entrance. I hope you visit Memphis and The Peabody again soon.

Kind regards,
New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Reserved over the phone instead of the internet. Friendly southern accent booked my room and started my enjoyable experience with Peabody. Checked in flawlessly 8pm on a Saturday night. Pleasant surprise to find a king bed when contracted for a queen. Room was extremely quiet and nicely decorated. It is far enough from, yet close enough to, Beale Street.
Great all around experience.

Room Tip: Book over the phone for that personal touch!
Pontotoc, Mississippi
Reviewed October 25, 2013

It was great to be back at The Peabody this week. This hotel sets the standard for taking care of the customer. The wonderful experience starts when you enter the door. The lobby is a show piece. The front desk personnel are the best. Very polite and professional. Check in is quick and painless. Rooms are very nicely kept. Rooms are very comfortable. There are many nice amenities. Can't wait to make my return trip to The Peabody.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Food_man56,

Thank your review and for your loyalty towards The Peabody Memphis. I am pleased that you enjoyed your most recent stay and hope you visit again soon.

Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was a planned stop on a two week road trip and we are very glad we stayed here. We splurged on our upgraded king room and it did not disappoint. It was large with a comfortable bed with chairs and a couch. It included a separate dressing area which helped with the smallish bathroom. Our only real complaint was that the air conditioning blew directly on our heads while in bed. We could not divert it away from us.

The hotel lobby and restaurants exhibit old world charm and at the same time were very comfortable. We had drinks in the lobby late each afternoon and stayed to watch the duck parade. It was a lot of fun even though the drinks were expensive.

Breakfast each morning brought delicious food and excellent service. The service throughout our stay was excellent, especially the concierge who helped with dinner and attraction information.

We will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear SherandPat,

Thank for your review, and for making The Peabody a stop during your two week road trip. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your upgraded room. Thank you for your kind words towards our staff and service levels. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Maryland
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at the Peabody for a professional conference in October 2013. I arrived very late one evening due to flight delay. I think because I came in so late, I was upgraded to a very nice room with a king sized bed and a sitting area. I felt very sorry for the woman at the desk as she was the only one there and there was a long line. She kept radioing for a manager to come help her, but no one appeared. She maintained her friendly and professional bearing in what must have been a very stressful situation for her. (Mgmt - if you are reading - I think her name was Angie)

The rooms were very clean and my room was quiet. I loved the lights on the floors which guide your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking your partner up! Nice safety feature for elderly guests! The bed was comfortable and there was good water pressure in the shower. I enjoyed getting the Wall Street Journal each morning.

I ate at one of the restaurants in the hotel and it was fine, but expensive (typical for in-hotel eateries).

Memphis isn't a very nice town, unfortunately. Not a lot of street life during the day - does anyone actually work downtown? No grocery stores nearby. No department stores or chic shops. It felt abandoned to me - like a lot of US cities which have shops and businesses only in the suburbs and only available to those with cars.

I ate at the Blue Plate Cafe a few blocks from the Peabody and enjoyed their breakfast. The only downside was that they don't open for breakfast until 8 am. The Majestic Grill at 145 S. Main was my favorite restaurant - excellent food, a super cool decor, great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Maryland_traveler27,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Peabody during your professional conference and that we had the opportunity to upgrade your room. As you mentioned, one of the fun new updates in our recent room renovation were motion censored lights under the bed to light guests’ path during the night. It is true that Downtown Memphis is much more vibrant during the weekends, but upon your next visit I’d encourage you to visit the restaurants, bars, and shops down Main Street or on Overton Square for local shopping. I hope you return to The Peabody again soon.

simoniSimoni
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a very beautiful old hotel. This was my first trip to Memphis but I'm sure this is the nicest hotel in the city. We stayed on the club floor in a nice size king room with a view of the Mississippi river. Club rooms offer continental breakfast including bagels, rolls, cheeses, smoked salmon, sweet rolls, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, coffee, tea, etc. Small bags of chips and cold cokes or hot coffee and tea are available all day. At cocktails there is a cash bar available as well as cheese tray, hot hors devours and veggies. At 9pm or so they offer cookies and milk. They also give you a small plate of sweets when they turn down the bed. We loved the food and would highly recommend the club floor. it was also very quiet. I thought the room was in remarkably good condition for its age and very tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The only complaint is that the bathroom is not very well lit. The hairdryer though was great. Just like my own.
The hotel is very close to Beale Street, which was much appreciated. The hotel is expensive but worth it for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Pretty good view of the river on the 12th floor. Club floor. Also very quiet.