“A unique & elegant experience”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
S. California
“A unique & elegant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Yes, the walls are thin, self parking is a hike away and it's not cheap. However, this is an elegant hotel built in another time and lovingly preserved. We couldn't be more happy with our stay, the attentive staff and the excellent food.

We took the free 11:30AM hotel tour (reserve a place with the Concierge) and loved it. It was led by Doug the Duck Master who is a Memphis native and has a tremendous amount of knowledge to share. The tour was supposed to be 45 minutes but ours was longer and we appreciated that.

I can't imagine staying anywhere else when in Memphis.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
fort lee , new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed on Club Level which included free parking, afternoon snacks, & continental breakfast. After noon snacks included hard coconut fried shrimp. Awful. Gave me indigestion after one bite. Staff is polite . Room a bit weird. Decor has a modern take. I liked when you got out of bed at night a sensor lit the floor! The headboard also had lighting for reading on each side. Very nice features! TV could not get a voice on many channels. The room safe is tucked into a corner in the closet- very difficult to get to and be able to see. Comfortable bedding. The hotel is quite grand in the lobby and two blocks away from many attractions such as Beale street & Rock & Soul museum.

Room Tip: Consider concierge level for continental breakfast & parking included.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear lfbmonkey,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay on The Peabody Club Level. I’m pleased that you enjoyed several of the new renovations to our guestrooms including, reading lights on the head boards and track lighting for the sides of the bed. It sounds like you took advantage of The Peabody’s close proximity to Memphis attractions including Beale Street and the Rock & Soul Museum. I hope you visit Memphis and The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The Peabody has always held a special place in my heart. I remember as a young child coming to see the Peabody ducks. Once I became an adult, we would come for the rooftop parties. Now as a "real" adult, we come to the Peabody for a retreat from "real" life. The Peabody has maintained it's historical ambiance while updating the beautiful rooms. We enjoyed a piano player in the main lobby and the flowers were spectacular. It is an experience you will not have anywhere else. Great night!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here 20 years ago and thought we'd bring our 14 year old son while on a road trip from Oklahoma. We love the nostalgia of the hotel and the service here. If you self park like I did because I don't like people driving my car or waiting for it,prepare yourself for a walk. I would drop off your bags then park. The ducks are unique and fun to watch. I like staying here, but if you want a convenient hotel that's very nice see my review on the Westin on George W Lee Ave. There was a spot of mold in my soap dish in the shower which I was disappointed to see.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Halokla,

Thank you for returning to The Peabody with your son, after staying with us 20 years ago. I appreciate your tips for future travelers about dropping off your bags with our bellmen, if you choose to self-park. I’m pleased you enjoyed staying with us again, and look forward to a return visit.

Thanks again,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

While the lobby is beautiful, and the old world charm is charming, the rooms are average at best. The walls are very thin. We could hear the neighbors above, below and on both sides of us just having conversations. Self parking is about $10 less, but you do have to walk several blocks. The ducks were cute. I wish the rooms were just as cute.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ellie C,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. I apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. It’s one of the things being addressed with our soon-to-be-completed renovations with new doors and windows in every guestroom. As you mentioned guests have the option of valet or self parking at The Peabody. If you self park we encourage guests to drop their bags at our front drive with a bellman, and follow the signs and short walk through our covered, air-conditioned walkway to the lobby for check-in. I hope that you visit us again soon as we will be completed with our guest room renovations in September.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Pricey, but well located if you need to be downtown.
The daily parade of ducks is well attended, not sure why.
The room was southern opulent but musty, I felt like Rhett butler.
Lobby bar was busy and vibrant.
Texas la brazil is adjacent to the property and had great food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. As you mentioned the Duck March is viewed by hundreds of visitors daily. Being an 80 year tradition, the Peabody Ducks are one of the top three tourist attractions in Memphis along with Graceland and Beale Street. I’m pleased you enjoyed our downtown location and close proximity Memphis’ most popular attractions.

Seguin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked my reservation for August in May, only one night for my family of five. I have young children so I was looking forward to the ducks, pool, etc. I specifically asked if the hotel is kid friendly and was told that it absolutely is. I booked a "funcation" package that included free valet parking, two free breakfasts and a free horse drawn carriage ride. The day before our stay I called to confirm our reservation and was told that my reservation does not include valet parking, but self parking. However, I am welcome to use the valet parking for an astronomical fee of $26.00 or some such nonsense PLUS a tip for the TWO people who cart your luggage and WON'T allow you to carry your own luggage.
I checked my confirmation email from the hotel and informed the operator that I have in writing that my reservation includes free valet parking. She states that it DID originally include valet but that they changed the package in April to only include self parking but since THEY made the mistake and offered it to me they would honor that (as if doing me a favor).
So we arrive at this "family friendly" hotel, get settled, go eat supper and come back. My 12 and 2 year olds wanted to go see the duck condo on the top floor so we go up to the 12th floor and as soon as the elevator door opens and we step off a man wearing a security shirt jumped in front of me as if I was about to attack someone and tells me extremely rudely that there is a party going on. I explained to him that we came to see the ducks (which is the hotels big selling point) and he tells me very rudely WITH A HAND IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!! that this is an adults only party which makes me wonder what exactly goes on at the "adults only" party that he has to act like that. Rude! Rude! Rude! My two year old actually backed away from him.
I requested a roll away bed and there wasn't one.......what else? There were drunk, loud people in the elevator everytime we used it. No lock on the bathroom door. All for the BARGAIN price of $340.00!
No thank you, I won't ever be back, we stayed at a LaQuinta the night before that was better than the Peabody and was $84.00.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Angrnall
Dear Angrnalll,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at The Peabody. We recently began including self parking in our packages to create better consistency among our specials. I apologize for the confusion you experienced but am glad to hear we were able to correct our error quickly. As you mentioned, on Thursday nights during the summer months, we host Rooftop Parties, a Peabody tradition since 1939 and the days of Big Bands and swing dancing. These parties are “21 and up” because alcohol is served. We are unable to let minors on the roof during these 5 hours, and our security staff was simply looking out for your children’s best interests and following laws that would similarly apply to a child entering a nightclub. I hope you had the opportunity to visit the ducks the next morning, as the rooftop opens at 7AM daily.