“Pretty...Some Faults”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am writing this at 11:31pm in our room because I can't fall asleep from the racket! I think it may be pipes? Whatever it is, it sounds like the people next door are bowling or roller skating down the walls. Other than the rediculous amount of racquet, the room (deluxe king) is spacious and renovated (#706). Toiletries and amenities are nice complete with a walk in closet. I was disappointed at check-in at their attempts to Up-sell us at every opportunity to a more expensive suite, etc. They also were incongruent with my reservations -- when I booked I was told my package came with valet and when we checked in she informed us it came with self-parking. She did comp the difference for the valet, but irritating. Also, the reservation specialist told me it would be $20 for a roll-away and the check-in clerk said it was $30. Ducks were cute, our 2 hear old daughter loved it and the Duck Master Doug was pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear BreckM,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping due to noise, and ask that upon your next visit you contact the Front Desk immediately to that we can ensure the remainder of your stay meets your expectations. I apologize for the confusion on our end about the parking included in your package. We recently adjusted all of our packages to remove inconsistencies from one deal to another and include self parking in all packages. I’m glad we were able to return the difference to you for valet parking. I hope you visit Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here with our 3 kids. The marching ducks were certainly a highlight. The service was impeccable and the hotel seemed very clean. We upgraded for the concierge lounge, and although it was nice to have, it may not have been worth the cost.

We'd stay again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Peabody is a famous historic hotel and has bags of character. It is very near to Beale Street and Main Street where most of the sights and eating places are located. You can walk to Sun studios but would recommend their tour bus which also takes you to Graceland for free.
When the ducks 'walk' twice a day, the ornate lobby is packed but it is a delight to see the children enjoying the simple tradition. The rooms we thought, nice and traditional but small especially the bathroom. Valet parking expensive as always. On balance would definately stay there again for ambience of public areas and location.

Room Tip: They will offer you an upgrade to a suite - expensive but check your given room first as some are qu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I love the Peabody. I embodies all that a historic American hotel can be and adds a bit of kitschy theatre with the duck parades twice a day. The ducks bring bus loads of tourists. The hotel rooms are a delightful nod to the past. The lilac walls and futuro-retro Americana interior adds to the fun. The bed is comfortable and the room looked newly renovated and quiet.
I had no problems with check in and Naira was wonderful at front desk.
JuWanda our housekeeping made was great.
Breakfast buffet was very ordinary but the staff were nice
My only gripe is valet parking which was slow inefficient and let's down the other good staff

Room Tip: High floor facing river ...1053
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DrDiscerningHotel

Dear DrDiscerningHotel,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your recent trip to Memphis. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and our newly renovated guest rooms. I appreciate your kind words for Naira and JuWanda, and will pass your review along to them. Thank you for telling us about you experiences while valet parking. Our valet attendants do their best to retrieve our guests’ cars in a quick and careful manner. Upon you next visit I encourage you to call for your car from your guest room, which should all but eliminate any wait time. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Peabody was a fantastic hotel for short stay in Memphis. Very central and beautiful and of course the famous ducks live there too. We bought our tickets from Viator and they faxed them fight to the hotel. We walked up the street to Sun City Studios and could catch the free shuttle there to Graceland and Stax Museum.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OilerFans
Reviewed July 21, 2013

An old tradition. One place out of towers should check out. This is an old Tennessee hotel. Best of all it's close to BBQ! The staff is well trained, the help staff is a bit lacking... Bell men that is.... The rooms are nice, but I always stay in A+ rooms.... Anyone can find something wrong, but for its history and for families this is a nice place to stay for the night. DON'T MISS THE DUCKS, GO UP AND SEE WHERE THEY LIVE

Room Tip: Get the executive rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Husband had a conference here so I went for a night (we live in the area). First I must say the staff I had contact with were all very kind and professional. The hotel and food are another thing.

The dinner was not good at all. I have eaten at many fine dining restaurants and this was not one of them. My husband's steak ($65 for a steak and onion straws, really?) was not good. Had a strange taste to it as did the creamed spinach. The lobster bisque was unusual tasting as well. I had the sea bass which was good but I had asked for my topping on the side but it did not come that way. The service was extremely slow. I found out it was even worse for lunch the next day.

The hotel room was decorated nice but the rooms were very humid which made for a not so great nights sleep.

I would not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Littleeagle22,

Thank you for joining your husband on his business trip and taking a “staycation” to The Peabody. I apologize that you did not enjoy your dining experience. I have sent your review to our restaurant managers and chefs as a training tool.

Kind regards,