“Ducks, lobby bar & location”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“Ducks, lobby bar & location”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for luxury, The Peabody probably isn't for you. However, if you like ambience & style, the place is great. The lobby bar is very cool along w/ the famous ducks. Plus, the view from the roof is amazing. The rooms aren't that great, but you're just a couple of streets from Beale St., Fed Ex Forum & everything else downtown.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Rkingmusic13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Olympia Fields, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Came to Memphis for a short side trip after a Family reunion in Mississippi. This hotel has lots of character and charm. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The room was not very spacious, but nicely appointed, comfortable and clean. We got a room with two double beds. If you can spring for a room with 2 queens go with the 2 queen beds which gives you quite a bit more room.
It was a tight fit for 3 of us, but not cabin cruise-like. We valet parked and the staff there was very attentive and professional. The front desk staff was very good as well. We had one meal on-site...that was breakfast on the morning of our departure. The breakfast was very good and the staff was very attentive as well. I got the breakfast buffett, when they saw that there was not enough bacon left on the buffett, bacon showed up at my table...

Room Tip: Spring for a Queen room and get a get more space
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Jalolu,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody during your short side trip to Memphis. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and kind words towards our staff. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Nathrop, Colorado
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights on business a the Peabody and it was great. Lets start with the room. It was exactly what I expect from a truly great hotel. It was fairly large with plenty of room around the king bed. I usually have trouble sleeping in many hotels but the Peabody was fantastic. Most pillows are flat, lumpy things but here I had a choice of 6 on my bed and one was perfect for my head.

The flat screen TV was much larger than most and the choice of channels was above average. The bath was clean, modern and stylish. All the items (soap, shampoo, etc) were replace every day and room cleaned to a level I expect.

Take advantage of the free shoe shine at night. Free wifi, of course. When so many high end hotels charge stupid amounts of money for internet, it was nice to see it was included here. Not like the Hilton where I often stay.

The front counter help was very attentive and while I had little interaction with them, they treated me like I was a regular customer deserving of the most attentive service.

Where the place really shined for us was in our meeting rooms and the food service for those meetings. We had 3 straight days of meetings with breakfast and lunches at the hotel. The food was definitely above average for a hotel in this caliber and the meeting rooms very comfortable. The only downside to the meeting rooms was the lack of electrical outlets. Nowadays everyone comes with a lap top and we all need a power connection. We made it work but we had some seriously overloaded power strips!

The location is also very convenient. Most everything was within walking distance and I did not have a car this trip nor did I need one. If you wanted to get silly, Beale Street was just two blocks down and there were many great restaurants (McEwens, Flight) within 1 or 2 blocks.

Lastly, I have to mention the ducks and the lobby. The marching of the ducks can not be missed. If you do, you are missing something special. The lobby bar is great place to meet friends and to have a before dinner or an after dinner drink. Most lobby bars are not this inviting or well attended. The place was packed most nights.

I don't know if I will be in Memphis anytime soon but if so, I would definitely look at staying at the Peabody again.

Room Tip: When in doubt, upgrade. I took the executive king and worth the extra nickles in space and luxury.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Doug W,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Peabody. I am glad that you and your co-workers felt comfortable in our spacious meeting facilities and enjoyed our dining options. It sounds like you were able to relax and unwind in your guest room, and that you took advantage of The Peabody’s central downtown location and close proximity to many of Memphis’ most famous attractions. I hope that you return to Memphis and stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel” again soon.

Santa Clarita, California, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I went for our yearly anniversary trip. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the spa too! great location within walking distance to beale street & the Rendevous restaurant - separate review for that. Enjoyed the duck presentation every morning and evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vivian G
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband took me to The Peabody in Memphis to celebrate my 50th birthday and reserved a room on the club floor that has some really nice perks...valet parking included in the price of your room, champagne upon your arrival (we don't drink but it is included if you do)afternoon appetizers from 5-7pm, the most wonderful cookies and milk from 8-9pm, bed turn down service and fresh chocolate covered strawberries on your bedside table, 24 hour access to complimentary coffee and soda and a very nice breakfast. Overall it was a very nice stay. There were just a few things that really bothered me. First the door attendants were not doing their job in the valet parking area. We were not told how to use our room key to get to the private 12th floor on the elevator and had to go into the gift shop beside the elevator and ask for assistance, when we got to our room, the remote to the TV in the bedroom did not work. When we were in for the night, my husband went to get me a diet coke from the lobby fridge and it was not stocked ( I have to say though the evening concierge made sure I had a drink in 5 minutes when my husband asked him if any diet drinks were available). The next morning the refrigerator was still not stocked and the morning concierge was not quite as attentive. Like I said just little picky things, but when you pay $400 for one night to celebrate a special day, it should be perfect. We have stayed at other 5 star hotels such as The Lennox in Boston and the Hermitage in Nashville and both stays there WERE perfect, hence the "4" and not a "5" rating.

Room Tip: The club floor has some nice perks but not sure it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Linda N,

Thank you for celebrating your 50th birthday with us. I am pleased you and your husband enjoyed the added amenities you receive by being on the club level. I appreciate your remarks as we will use them as service reminders to ensure guests have a perfect stay and we receive the “5” rating. I hope you celebrate at The Peabody again soon.

Sugar Land, TX
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I got a decent deal on this place. It was a secret deal at $128 a night plus tax. I figured there were only 3 4 star hotels in Memphis and after reading the reviews I'd be satisfied with any of them. The night I booked all sites were listing this hotel at $249 and the cheapest 4 star hotel was the Westin at $175 on most sites, but on sale for $140 on a few of them. I assumed the secret deal would be the Westin but was surprised to find it was the Peabody.

When booking it said there was a $75 pet fee and $24 valet parking fee. What was not disclosed is a $12 per night "hotel service fee". These fees are an absolute scam. I went down and asked about the fee and was told it's charged to everyone to cover "services such as Internet access". I'd be less annoyed if it had been disclosed during booking, but I really don't see how a place has a right to charge you a mandatory undisclosed fee on a prepaid room. I am also generally annoyed by the way you get so much less for so much more money at a place like this. On a side note, self parking is available at $18 a night, so you can shave $6 off the valet parking fee.

The room was nice, location great, service was okay, but nothing special. Ironically, service is what makes a the higher rated hotels better to most people, but their service was no better than a 2 star hotel. That doesn't matter much to me. I just want a comfortable room that looks nice, in a convenient area, preferably with an appealing look, at the most reasonable price. And I want to be left alone by the staff, park my own car, carry my own bags. I'm not crippled and I see no reason to pay for those services and especially hate the added obligation to tip for services I don't even want. This was a reasonable deal. This place is not worth $250 a night. If you can get a secret deal for under $150 it's debatable whether it's worth it, but know that you'll pay close to $50 a night in parking and "service fees".

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank swzi
Dear swzi,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. Being a luxury 4-star hotel, our staff is trained to assist our guests throughout their stay. As you mentioned, we offer valet service, bellman assistance and other luxury amenities that guests are accustom to receiving at 4- and 5-star properties. The hotel service charge is also common at other high-end hotels and resorts. Our service charge covers internet, shoe shine, usage of The Peabody Athletic Club, morning coffee in The Peabody Deli and Desserts, choice of daily newspaper, and local calls. Information about this charge can be found on our website, and your email confirmation letter. I apologize that you were unaware of these charges before your stay. I hope that you have the opportunity to return to Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Peabody Memphis is an outstanding hotel. You are treated with respect upon walking through the front door. Every person we came into contact with was purely interested in our satisfaction. The lobby is a great social hang out, Capriccio Grill serves an excellent buffet breakfast, and the hotel's location is perfect for seeing the sights and sounds of Memphis. There is no better place to stay in Memphis!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the Concierge Floor, overlooking the river. The view is fantastic, and t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple