“Peabody DUCKS!!”

Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Santa Clarita, California, United States
“Peabody DUCKS!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I went for our yearly anniversary trip. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the spa too! great location within walking distance to beale street & the Rendevous restaurant - separate review for that. Enjoyed the duck presentation every morning and evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vivian G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband took me to The Peabody in Memphis to celebrate my 50th birthday and reserved a room on the club floor that has some really nice perks...valet parking included in the price of your room, champagne upon your arrival (we don't drink but it is included if you do)afternoon appetizers from 5-7pm, the most wonderful cookies and milk from 8-9pm, bed turn down service and fresh chocolate covered strawberries on your bedside table, 24 hour access to complimentary coffee and soda and a very nice breakfast. Overall it was a very nice stay. There were just a few things that really bothered me. First the door attendants were not doing their job in the valet parking area. We were not told how to use our room key to get to the private 12th floor on the elevator and had to go into the gift shop beside the elevator and ask for assistance, when we got to our room, the remote to the TV in the bedroom did not work. When we were in for the night, my husband went to get me a diet coke from the lobby fridge and it was not stocked ( I have to say though the evening concierge made sure I had a drink in 5 minutes when my husband asked him if any diet drinks were available). The next morning the refrigerator was still not stocked and the morning concierge was not quite as attentive. Like I said just little picky things, but when you pay $400 for one night to celebrate a special day, it should be perfect. We have stayed at other 5 star hotels such as The Lennox in Boston and the Hermitage in Nashville and both stays there WERE perfect, hence the "4" and not a "5" rating.

Room Tip: The club floor has some nice perks but not sure it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Linda N,

Thank you for celebrating your 50th birthday with us. I am pleased you and your husband enjoyed the added amenities you receive by being on the club level. I appreciate your remarks as we will use them as service reminders to ensure guests have a perfect stay and we receive the “5” rating. I hope you celebrate at The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
Sugar Land, TX
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I got a decent deal on this place. It was a secret deal at $128 a night plus tax. I figured there were only 3 4 star hotels in Memphis and after reading the reviews I'd be satisfied with any of them. The night I booked all sites were listing this hotel at $249 and the cheapest 4 star hotel was the Westin at $175 on most sites, but on sale for $140 on a few of them. I assumed the secret deal would be the Westin but was surprised to find it was the Peabody.

When booking it said there was a $75 pet fee and $24 valet parking fee. What was not disclosed is a $12 per night "hotel service fee". These fees are an absolute scam. I went down and asked about the fee and was told it's charged to everyone to cover "services such as Internet access". I'd be less annoyed if it had been disclosed during booking, but I really don't see how a place has a right to charge you a mandatory undisclosed fee on a prepaid room. I am also generally annoyed by the way you get so much less for so much more money at a place like this. On a side note, self parking is available at $18 a night, so you can shave $6 off the valet parking fee.

The room was nice, location great, service was okay, but nothing special. Ironically, service is what makes a the higher rated hotels better to most people, but their service was no better than a 2 star hotel. That doesn't matter much to me. I just want a comfortable room that looks nice, in a convenient area, preferably with an appealing look, at the most reasonable price. And I want to be left alone by the staff, park my own car, carry my own bags. I'm not crippled and I see no reason to pay for those services and especially hate the added obligation to tip for services I don't even want. This was a reasonable deal. This place is not worth $250 a night. If you can get a secret deal for under $150 it's debatable whether it's worth it, but know that you'll pay close to $50 a night in parking and "service fees".

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank swzi
Dear swzi,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. Being a luxury 4-star hotel, our staff is trained to assist our guests throughout their stay. As you mentioned, we offer valet service, bellman assistance and other luxury amenities that guests are accustom to receiving at 4- and 5-star properties. The hotel service charge is also common at other high-end hotels and resorts. Our service charge covers internet, shoe shine, usage of The Peabody Athletic Club, morning coffee in The Peabody Deli and Desserts, choice of daily newspaper, and local calls. Information about this charge can be found on our website, and your email confirmation letter. I apologize that you were unaware of these charges before your stay. I hope that you have the opportunity to return to Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Peabody Memphis is an outstanding hotel. You are treated with respect upon walking through the front door. Every person we came into contact with was purely interested in our satisfaction. The lobby is a great social hang out, Capriccio Grill serves an excellent buffet breakfast, and the hotel's location is perfect for seeing the sights and sounds of Memphis. There is no better place to stay in Memphis!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the Concierge Floor, overlooking the river. The view is fantastic, and t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glen Carbon, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Rooms are very sound proof, which is always a plus. Fun to explore the shops and artwork in the building. Very close to the action on Beale. Very satisfied with the stay. Clean, Fun, Convenient. Would recommend to anyone staying for a weekend trip.

Madison, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Staying at this well-known luxury hotel in the heart of Memphis was a pleasant experience. The March of the Ducks to and from the lobby fountain twice a day is unique and fun to watch. Our room, however, was quite a contrast to the lavishly appointed Main Lobby. I understand that this is an older hotel and therefore rooms are small, but there is no place to put anything. No counters or shelves in the bathroom, and no way to get suitcases off the floor. The room and bathroom, however, were spotlessly clean, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. We stayed two days/nights and our room wasn't made up until nearly 4 PM, which is check in time for this hotel. The hotel restaurants are quite pricey, and we wanted simpler fare, so we asked the concierge for a recommendation within walking distance. He couldn't think of anything, for breakfast or dinnerI do think staff should be better informed. If you want to go to Beale Street and all the blues joints, it is not far. We did go to the hotel restaurant one morning and had the breakfast buffet ($13.95), and it was outstanding! The biscuits and gravy were among the best I've ever had, and the scrambled eggs were moist, thank you! Our server, Rose, was very attentive, and said the chef's secret is heavy cream :-) Figures.
We enjoyed our stay, overall, and would return.

Room Tip: Perhaps if you are willing to pay more and get a room above "Standard Queen" you would not...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pam N
Dear Pam N,

I am pleased to find out that you had a pleasant experience during your recent stay at The Peabody. As you mentioned the “South’s Grand Hotel” is a historic hotel built in 1925. Because of this, some of our guestrooms are uniquely shaped and smaller than at new hotels. I ‘m glad you found your room to be spotless and well-appointed. I hope you have the opportunity to visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My favorite Memphis Hotel. Charming. Great "duck" show. Good meeting rooms.
Held a meeting here for last 2 years. Parking was easy. Rooms were nicely appointed. Like Lansky's on very nice appropriately crowded lobby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business