“Elegant, Charming and very Grand.”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Elegant, Charming and very Grand.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in The Peabody for 3 nights last week and we couldn't find a single flaw! The Hotel was wonderful,Rooms very spacious, bright and comfortable! The staff couldn't be more pleasant if the tried and The Duck experience was wonderful! The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to the shops and nightlife. I would most definitely stay at the hotel again. :)

2 Thank Avril M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hotel is perfectly located in the tourist area. everythiing is in walking distance except graceland.
The old world charm is nice and the lobby bar is very comfortable.
Drinks are about $11.00 for a glass of wine!
Rooms are small and old world or run down depends on your outlook.
No room has a view. they will ask you if you want a higher room ofr 85.oo more but all you can see is the mississippi river from 12 blocks away the rest is roof tops.
Not a pretty area but lots of history.

Room Tip: Any room will look out to buildings and more building. use this hotel as you central hub. kepp the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank marktravelslots
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear marktravelslots,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody. As you mentioned the “South’s Grand Hotel” is centrally located in downtown Memphis, and is a short walk to many of the city’s most famous attractions. Most of our guest rooms have views of Downtown Memphis, however our rooftop provides one of the best views on the Mississippi River in the city. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Scott Boucher
901-529-4131
scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Where do I start? From the moment we pulled up to the valet to the moment we left - everything was perfect:
Location - it's perfect. Everything you could possibly need for a short stay or business trip is under one roof, but if you want to 'tour' Memphis, the hotel is perfectly situated.
Valet - fast, courteous service
Check-in/Front Desk - friendly, efficient and accommodating. We had booked our room online moments before pulling in, so I wasn't surprised at all when she told me our reservation had come through. Despite how busy the hotel was (spring break at 5:30, right after the duck parade), she got us a room and comp’d the valet because of the 'inconvenience.'
Concierge - assisted us regarding the horse-drawn carriage rides (btw - they line up right in front of the hotel) and introduced the kids to the Duck Master.
Bar - Wonderful! They offer a fun selection of Tennessee Whiskey cocktails, as well as a full selection of the usual items. Warning: I ordered one of the TN Whiskey drinks w/ a top-shelf bourbon instead and my drink was $18! I'm used to boutique hotels, but that's the most I've paid for an old-fashioned. Still, paid for it and enjoyed every drop while doing some great people-watching.
Restaurant-We had our young kids w/ us, so we opted for a theme restaurant (regrettably) rather than Chez Philip, but we had breakfast at the Capriccio Grill and really enjoyed it. Some of us had the buffet, while others ordered from the menu and we were all pleased. Again, the service provided was top-notch.
Room - Perfect! Spotless rooms w/ comfortable beds and quality linens, modern bathrooms, and a wonderful TV w/ good selection of channels.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor and it was quiet; I'd avoid rooms where the noice from the bar and lo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear goldcanary1975,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and received exceptional service throughout your visit. I hope that you stay at The Peabody again and have an opportunity to dine in Chez Philippe soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I woke up at 6am to the sound of hammers above me. I stayed here as a child and wanted to let my children have the experience, but sleep is very valuable to me. I would not have chosen this hotel if I had been informed of the renovations.
I enjoyed the hotel other than the morning renovations.

Dear Britli,

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The Peabody is currently undergoing room restorations, but it is décor-oriented focusing on paint and furnishings, rather than construction, so any noise should be minimal. To further reduce disturbances to our guests during the project, we are making the changes one floor at a time and taking the floor below the work area out of service during the process. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you visit The Peabody again.

Kind regards,
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful boutique hotel! Truly a Memphis gem. Pool and workout area w/ locker rooms was very nice.Upon check in, they mentioned they had complimentary coffee in the morning. I never did find that. Room was clean, comfortable & quiet. I inquired as to whether turn down service was included and the staff member did check on that and it was. Received 2 bottles of water & 3 chocolates plus dimmed room lighting and bathrobe laid out on bed. My kids enjoyed sitting alongside the red carpet for the famous duck march in the morning. The duck master was wonderful with the guests and children! Convenient location near Beale Street. We booked online through Expedia and saved about $80. We did self park for $18 vs $26 for valet. It was a bit of a trek with heavy luggage - I would opt for valet in future.

Dear MNIris,

Thank you for visiting The Peabody. I am pleased that you and your children enjoyed your stay. Like you said, we provide valet and self parking for our guests. If you choose to park in our self parking garage we encourage guests to drop off their bags at our front drive with a member of our valet team before parking their car. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Peabody is charming. Just walking in the lobby make you relax and slow down. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. The manager of the restaurant immediately helped me find out who supplied glassware we admired - she emailed it to us within the day. "The Peabody Ducks" were super stars and marched in and out with elegance. Request an updated room as it is pretty. Even an updated room is small and the bathroom very small with no room for your toiletries & makeup.

Room Tip: Updated room facing the river is best, ask for end room as you can hear people in next room. We wer...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Harvard, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Peabody hotel has an 80 year history. It is a beautiful, elegant hotel but it also is famous for the March of the Ducks. While we did not stay at the hotel we had a tour by the Duck Master. Among the furnishings of the hotel is the piano made for Francis Scott Key,

The March of the Ducks takes place at precisely 11 am and 5 pm every day. The ducks are housed on the top floor of the hotel. In preparation for the March the red carpet is rolled out from the fountain to the elevator and ropes cordon it off so visitors stay back. The Duck Master rides up the elevator to get the ducks and the anticipation grows. When the elevator doors open the Duck Master marches out and the ducks actually waddle very briskly down the red carpet to the fountain and jump in. This process is reversed at 5 pm when the ducks go back up the elevator to spend the night in their penthouse cage. The ducks are wild and spend only 3 months at the Peabody. They are returned to the farm where they are raised and after some time are free to fly away. New ducks are brought in and and evidently very easy to train.

Room Tip: As I mentioned we did not spend the night at this hotel, we only came to watch the March of the Duck...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank funandfit
Dear funandfit,

Thank you for visiting The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. As you mentioned, the Duckmaster gives history tours each day following the 11:00 a.m. Duck March. They begin at 11:30 a.m. and are about 45 minutes long. I am glad that you enjoyed the Duck March and your tour. I hope that upon your next trip to Memphis that you stay at The Peabody.