“Great location, great service, great staff: GREAT!”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
New York City, New York
“Great location, great service, great staff: GREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Last weekend, I attended a Board meeting here, to plan our national conference to be held in Memphis at The Peabody in 2013. It was abundantly clear we chose well: the meeting venues will work well for our group, the rooms will be completely redone (my room was delightfully comfortable this time, but when we saw examples of the new decor, it's clear things will be kicked up a notch!). We sampled great Memphis restaurants, strolled down Beale Street, took group pictures at the Elvis statue - and The Peabody was always just a comfortable walk away. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Deercats,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased that you were able to get a sneak peek of our newly renovated guest rooms, and enthusiastically approved of our updates. We are very excited about introducing our guests to these new rooms early next year, and look forward to your conference’s visit in 2013.

angus.blair@peabodymemphis.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Peabody for an anniversary weekend and it was an incredible experience. The hotel is vintage elegance at its finest. The front desk upgraded our room to the 2 story Romeo & Juliet suite...stunning! Later, wine and pastries were sent to our room. What a delightful surprise! The staff at the hotel is one of the warmest, friendliest and helpful that we have ever encountered outside of Disneyworld. The ducks add to the ambiance and are a must see! The duck design throughout the hotel is charming. The Lansky Bros stores have a bevy of well designed upscale stores on the lobby level that are full of history. You must go into the men's store to see all the guitars from famous store patrons! (Elvis, of course, their most famous client.) Put the Peabody on your bucket list! It's a must for everyone to experience! Quack-Quack!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blanche&milver
Dear blanche&milver,

Thank you for giving The Peabody the honor of playing host to your anniversary weekend. It sounds like you had a memorable experience enjoying wine, pastries and our romantic Romeo & Juliet Suite. Thank you for your kind review and for sharing pictures of your stay with us. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently stayed at The Peabody Memphis for a board retreat. The hotel staff is friendly and courteous; the meeting space more than adequate and the food and beverage service far better than most hotels.

While our small group was there primarily for business, we did enjoy The Corner Bar ($20 Jack Daniels flight on Thursdays) and the March of the Peabody Ducks.

The hotel's close proximity to Beale Street, dining/nightlife, attractions and the trolly service make it a desirable location for our 2013 Conference. Look forward to returning in May.

Dear DestinationIrvine,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in Memphis and we able to enjoy several of our amenities even though your travels were business related. As you mentioned, The Corner Bar offers weekday specials which are perfect after a long day of conferences and meetings. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody, we look forward to your conference’s visit in 2013.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Peabody for a planning retreat for a conference coming up next spring. I was lucky enough to get a sample of the remodeled sleeping rooms. They are gorgeous! We look forward to bringing a big group back next year to experience the fantastic hotel along with the treasures of Memphis.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We arrived in Memphis after a long drive from Nashville in the pouring rain. We found the hotel without too much difficulty, we then found the car park but having parked the car it was extremely badly sign posted as to how to actually get into the hotel. Having dragged our bags round for what seemed like ages, we eventually found the entrance. The hotel is extremely ornate but the decor is dark which makes the whole ground floor quite cloying. We found the reception staff patronising and almost rude and the same comments apply to the concierge. I don't know who these people think they are. The room for such a grand hotel to my mind was pokey with hardly any room to get around the bed and the bathroom was small and old fashioned. There is no tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

The best thing about this hotel is the marching ducks which march from where they are in a fountain in the ground floor of the hotel up steps out of the fountain along a red carpet and into the lift to be taken to their usual enclosure. This occurs every day at 5pm and anyone is allowed to watch not just guests.

We visited Gracelands of course whilst in Memphis. This too was disappointing being much smaller than I had imagined and in a run down part of town. If you want to see everything i.e., the mansion, the car collection and the plane then it will cost you $70 each. We just did the mansion and grounds and this was $32.00 each. Elvis is buried in the grounds and you can visit his grave. The tour was interesting but it is all very commercial and tacky.

We visited the famous Beale Street in the evening which is only about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Unfortunately it was very quiet as it was a Monday night and raining. We enjoyed ourselves despite this. We ate in a place called Silkys which was fun and not too expensive and then proceeded to another bar to listen to some good music. I would imagine a great time could be had on a week-end with people partying in the street but that experience was not to be for us unfortunately. Please message me with any questions you may have on the hotel or Memphis and I will be happy to answer if I can.

Room Tip: I would not stay in this hotel again and I would not recommend it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoyBarnet
Dear JoyBarnet,

Thank you for visiting The Peabody during your tour of the Deep South. I apologize for the complications you encountered while parking your vehicle. Being a historic downtown property, The Peabody’s parking garage was added many years after the initial opening in 1925. Because of this, the parking garage is actually adjacent to the hotel, but complete with a covered, air-conditioned walkway to the entrance of the hotel. I appreciate your comments concerning our sign placement. We will review these positions to ensure the directions we give guests are clear.

Being a Forbes Four star hotel, our goal is to offer the optimal level of service. In order to ensure freshness and serve our guests, coffee is available in The Peabody Deli and Dessert from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. Upon your next visit, if you’d like a coffee pot in your room our housekeeping staff would be happy to provide it, upon request.

I’m pleased you were able to enjoy The Peabody’s close proximity to many of Memphis’ biggest attractions including Beale Street. I hope you visit Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I went here to attend a conference, but the ducks were a draw. The crowds at the times of the ducks' arrival and departure to and from the lobby were larger than I anticipated. It wasn't easy to see them either from the floor or the balcony. My room had Southern and historic charm and was comfortable. Don't expect modernity--this is a true historic property. Downtown Memphis can be sketchy and this hotel is in the heart of it. I enjoyed reading the historical duck footed brass inlays around the outside of the hotel...as well as the brass note markers on Beale Street only blocks away.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Goldfinger13_11,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. Like you said, the world famous Peabody Duck March can draw large crowds, especially during the weekends. That is why we like to suggest to our guests that they arrive 30 minutes prior to each march for the best view. The duck footed inlays around the outside of The Peabody are members of The Peabody Duck Walk Hall of Fame. Each year on our anniversary, we induct a person who has played a prominent role in Memphis and at The Peabody. Thank you for interest in our history, I hope that you stay at The Peabody again soon.

Matawan, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I just returned from my first stay at the Peabody. Quirky, yes, but in a most entertaining way. Don't miss the Duck Parade! My room was expansive and most excellently appointed. In advance of my stay I had requested that all down filled pillows be removed from the room. Upon entering my room I was delighted to discover that my request had been granted - no reminder needed as is the case in all other hotels I have stayed in. The bathroom was on the small side; amenities were ample and the fixtures obviously new. The only negative was the 4:30am wake-up call thanks to either a fire drill or a false alarm. The staff is extremely helpful, personable and professional - from bellhops to front desk staff to housekeepers, all were a pleasure to deal with. On my first day I asked a staff member where I might find a cup of coffee; the gentleman was kind enough to walk me to the Peabody's most excellent deli. (Don't miss a trip to the deli - the pastries are worthy of any Parisian patisserie.) Breakfast buffet was included with my stay; the offerings were modest in variety but of very good quality.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues you might want to be aware that you will need to navigate stairs between...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear AndiCNJ,

Thank you for your comments, and for staying at the “South’s Grand Hotel.” I am pleased that you found your room to be “excellently appointed.” At The Peabody, we take every special request seriously, and were delighted to remove the down filled pillows from your room. I sincerely apologize for your 4:30 a.m. wakeup call by way of our fire alarm. Thankfully, there was not an actual fire. The alarm was triggered by smoke from a service elevator motor. Thank you for your patience and understanding as our guests’ safety is a top priority. I hope that you visit Memphis again soon, and that you choose to stay at The Peabody once again.