“Nice staff... probably stay elsewhere if in Memphis again”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Charleston, West Virginia
“Nice staff... probably stay elsewhere if in Memphis again”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Although the staff were more than accommodating and the duck walk was fun to watch, I did not feel that the hotel was worth the price paid for a night. I appreciate being able to have a spacious bathroom in which here I felt like I was in my closet while in. The tub had bits of black residue in the grout remnants from mold not fully removed. The room itself was fairly large and had a big flat TV which was nice. The pros of the room included a vanity and chair, beds were comfy, but the following day one of the pillow cases fell off and revealed dried blood on the pillow.. not very comforting. The hotel did have a nice indoor pool and fitness center provided to guests, and the location was great being close to Beale street and other attractions. Although I was not put off the accommodations, to me the hotel was nothing special(except the staff) and given the choices I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam D
Scott_Boucher, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Roger D,

Thank you for recommending The Peabody to future travelers. I am pleased you enjoyed the ambiance of the Grand Lobby and the décor throughout the hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences with our Concierge staff. I have passed your review to our Guest Services team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I hope that you stay with us again soon.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a beautifully restored and expanded fine old southern hotel, it is in the best location in downtown Memphis near to Beale Street. It has a charming tradition of the Duck walk at 11am and 5pm in the Lobby, which has the liveliest and happiest lobby atmosphere of any hotel I have ever stayed in. This is fortunate as you will be waiting a long time for the elevators. The rooms are smaller then in a modern hotel, but well appointed and comfortable. A note of caution we asked the various Concierges a number of questions and almost all the answers were factually wrong, this lack of knowledge coupled with a confident and friendly delivery is quite inconvenient, so read up before you go ( you already are!) I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roger D
Scott_Boucher, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Roger D,

Thank you for recommending The Peabody to future travelers. I am pleased you enjoyed the ambiance of the Grand Lobby and the décor throughout the hotel. I apologize for the confusion and complications with our Concierge staff. I have passed your review to them to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I hope that you stay with us again soon.

Marshall, MI
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for business/conference. The lobby and history of the hotel is worth the stay, be sure to see the marching of the ducks. The in-house restaurant was overpriced, average. Good location. I wasn't here long, but it was a nice hotel. No problems.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Doylestown PA
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Lovely lobby and accommodating staff. Duck parade is fun ceremony especially for kids. The room however is a ripoff for the price--very small and the bathroom was even tinier. My knees hit the bathtub when I used the toilet! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn or Doubletree close by and walk over early for a drink in the lobby and to get a good seat for the 'festivities'.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bahamamama2010_10,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. I am pleased that you enjoyed the world-famous Duck March. We are beginning a major room renovation later this year that will give our guestrooms a fresh new look of traditional luxury. However, as The Peabody is a historic hotel listed on the National Register of Historic Places, some of our rooms sizes are indicative of the times in which the hotel was built. We like to think that the beauty and charm of a hotel that has a rich history dating back to 1869 can surely make up for the lack of physical space in some of our smaller of our room types. I hope you give The Peabody another chance and stay with us again upon your next visit to Memphis.

Kind regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. You can walk to so many attractions. We were very keen to see the parade of the ducks marching into the lifts- beware - it is extremely crowded and very difficult to see. There is no advantage to guests staying at the hotel so you need to secure a table right near the fountain and order a drink and be there at least 1/2 hour before they make there march on the red carpet to the lift. It is a beautiful hotel and the staff very helpful but we did find the security staff marshalling the duck parade very abrupt and not at all helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Canterbury54
Dear Canterbury54,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at The Peabody. I appreciate your kind words about the “South’s Grand Hotel” and its staff. The Peabody Duck March is a world-famous attraction witnessed by hundreds of people daily. Our security team is very thorough and strives to provide each and every guest a great view of the Duck March. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel for the St Jude Marathon weekend. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and we absolutely loved every moment we were there. We are already booked again for this year.

• Stayed December 2011
, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Srbh8779,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your last stay at The Peabody so much that you have already booked for this year’s St. Jude Marathon. Marathon Weekend is very busy at The Peabody, and we suggest making your reservations early. We anxiously await your arrival and wish you well in this year’s St. Jude Marathon.

Kind regards,
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were in town for a concert and choose to stay at the Peabody. I've been to Memphis numerous times. It's like a second home to me. So, I am ashamed to say this was my first time visiting the Peabody. It is an older hotel, which means smaller rooms. Personally, I was pleased with the room size. However, the bathroom was tiny, but beautiful! Overall, the hotel is well maintained and full of charm. I did not see the duck march, but the ducks were swimming in the lobby fountain when I arrived. Soo cute!

Speaking of the lobby, it was incredibly packed on a weeknight. There was nowhere to sit and a fight to place an order. There is another bar nearby in the building called Corner Bar. It had great happy hour specials and was relatively empty. We bought drinks there, and then went back to the lobby to people watch. So, stop by Corner Bar for happy hour if the lobby is packed.

We choose the perfect location. The Peabody was in walking distance to the FedEx Forum (our concert venue) and Rendezvous (a must-go, great BBQ spot). It was nice not to deal with parking. Overall, it was an excellent stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bayou_Girl13
, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Bayou_Girl13,

After several trips to Memphis, I am pleased that you finally chose to experience the “South’s Grand Hotel.” Being blocks away from the FedEx Forum and The Orpheum Theatre, our guests are in walking distance to the biggest concert venues in Memphis. Thanks for leaving tips for future travelers. As you mentioned, the Corner Bar has weekday Happy Hour specials Monday through Thursday. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon so it can become your “second home.”