“Not what I expected.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Memphis
Ranked #32 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This was my first time booking at an Embassy Suites. I have always thought that it would be a step above the other places that I have stayed; however, I was wrong. Not everything was bad about this hotel but it definitely was not better than many of the Hampton, Baymont, Comfort, and Drury hotels that I normally stay at. Upon arrival, the property looked nice. I walked into the lobby and the guest service employees were nice and fast at check in. The atrium is filled with waterfalls and had a nice feel to it. We were given our room on the 3rd floor. To get to the room, we had to navigate the maze of rooms only to find out that ours was not close to the elevators. We entered the room to find a dated looking couch and chair. The room smelled fine upon first walking in. The carpet in the living room area had multiple old stains. We immediately went to the bedroom. The bed was nicely made and the room looked fine, until we pulled back the comforter. Upon pulling it back to check the sheets, there was an orange stain (like Cheetos) on the underneath of the comforter. Upon pulling the entire comforter off, there was a brown stain, make-up stains, as well as some black stains. We called the front desk and they were very attentive to our needs and rushed a new comforter up with no problems. The bedroom area included a nice tv and sink area. The windows were cloudy in-between the glass panes to the point that it was difficult to look out of them. Back to the living room area, we noticed a nice tv and desk, but the couch and chair were worn and dated. The couch had a flat springy feel to the cushions. There was a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave in the area between the two rooms. Apparently someone in the past dropped a glass on the hardwood floor of the mini bar area in the room. When my wife walked from one room to the other, her foot was cut by an errant piece of glass. We went down and checked out the indoor swimming pool, and there were approximately 40 teenagers and children crammed into that area. A uniformed guard was assigned to the area the entire evening and night watching the pool and he told us that they are always busy on the weekends because groups come and have parties. It appeared to me that locals come here and rent a room just to have everyone they know come and swim. The noise from the atrium could be heard in the living room of the room clearly, to the point that it was difficult to watch the tv. The bedroom itself, once the door was closed, was quiet enough to get some sleep. The bed was comfortable for the most part. I did sleep well but I did notice that the mattress is starting to sag in the middle. As I had a weekend meeting to be at by 7:30 in the morning, I did not eat breakfast. They do not start breakfast on the weekends until 7:30 which I found to be odd. When I came back from the meeting, it appeared that the breakfast area was still open and very busy. It looked good and people seemed to be enjoying the breakfast. I also took another look into the pool area, and the pool door had a sign stating it was closed for cleaning (the water looked VERY yellow). I also did not try out the WiFi as it costs $9.95 for 24-hr. use (above the price of the room).

All in all I would not pay full price to stay at an Embassy Suites again. Most other places I stay at are in much better condition than this place and at a much lower price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Campusdispatch
EmbassySuitesMemphis, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m sorry to see that you did not experience the hotel at our best. Your housekeeping issues have been addressed with the team member responsible for your suite – your experience is not typical. With respect to the pool, when it is a busy weekend, we do at times increase the presence near the pool area with our interior guard. As well, we check the condition of the pool multiple times per day. On the morning of your departure, our routine pool check indicated an issue with the filtration system, which was corrected that same day.

We take pride in our hotel, and we’re sorry that your experience was not up to your standards or ours. We hope you’ll give us another opportunity to see us at our best.

Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites on Shady Grove Rd several weeks over the past couple of months. I find it to be very clean and find the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms are up-to-date with new furnishings and have two large flat screen HDTVs (one in the living area and one in the bedroom). The bathrooms are always clean and well stocked with a nice assortment of soap, lotion, etc... I enjoy the 24 hour fitness room. It is quite nice and is equipped with two treadmills, two ellipticals, one bike, and two weight benches. I quickly found that I needed to be on a treadmill each morning at 5:00 AM to avoid a wait. As a frequent business traveler, I would highly recommend the Embassy Suites if you are traveling on the east side of Memphis.

Room Tip: HiltonHonors - 5th floor (card access only).
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ChattBizTravlr
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed on a Sunday night recently. To start the evening off we ate at Grisanti's in the hotel and it was not even acceptable for Italian, about the same as eating at a fast food Fazoli's... All I can say is we didn't get much sleep at all. All of the rooms open off of the five story atrium/lobby. We heard people opening and shutting their doors and getting on and off the elevator all night. If you need sleep stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lamb637
Reviewed February 22, 2011

My husband and I frequently stay at the Embassy Suites for an "in town vacation." The prices are reasonable and it's perfect for when we need to get away without actually GOING anywhere.

Positives:

1. The staff are as friendly as you'd ever meet. I've only encountered one rude staffmember (and I'll get to him shortly), but everyone else has been so kind and gracious. They really make you feel welcome in their hotel. A+
2. The rooms are spotlessly clean. You can really tell that the housekeeping staff works hard to keep things neat.
3. The rooms are also very comfortably designed and appointed. The sink in the bedroom is a nice touch, and I like the televisions. LOVE the pillows on the bed -- I have a permanent neck injury due to a car accident many years ago, and usually I have to crumple, beat and adjust pillows endlessly...not these. These are great.
4. The "manager's reception" is every night from 5:30-7:30, and it's a great value. Unlimited drinks, some snacks and a pleasant environment. The line CAN get a little long, but nothing too bad. The usual bartender, whose name I can't recall at the moment, is friendly and funny. Very amiable guy.
5. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Easy access to the interstate, but near lots of restaurants and shops. If I weren't a "local," I'd really appreciate how easy it is to find things in the area.

Negatives:

1. I wish the bathrooms had a tub. The shower stall feels a bit cramped, and in our last stay, the shower door was not properly anchored to the base, resulting in a improperly closing door. Not a big deal, but something worth noting.
2. That rude staffmember I mentioned above? Well, what happened was this -- my husband called to order me a couple glasses of iced tea from room service while I was out running errands. When I returned, my husband told me that the person taking his order was quite rude to him, expressing disbelief that anyone would just order two glasses of iced tea and then hanging up on him before my husband could say anything else. A few minutes later, a knock is at our door, and the same man is delivering the tea. Shaking his head, and again, before we can say anything, he snits "You just take this tea. I've never heard of anyone just ordering iced tea. I don't even know how to charge you for this order!" and walks out before we can do anything else. Which, okay, thanks for not charging me, but is it necessary to be SO rude about the order? I looked over the menu later and realized there is a minimum order requirement for room service...so maybe that was the case, but he could've just told us that. Also, the last time we stayed there, I DID order a few glasses of iced tea...so saying it's never happened is not true. But like I said, that is the only rude staffmember I encountered.
3. The free breakfast. Yes, it is free (though built into the cost of the room, of course). But it is not that good. Your options are a buffet line consisting of the usual breakfast meats, potatoes, french toast sticks and maybe one other thing. Or, and the most popular option -- the "cooked to order" line with omelets and pancakes. That line gets long and it is SLOW. Very slow. We were in line for, literally, 45 minutes. Which, I suppose, would be okay if the omelets were good. The ladies working the line are pleasant, but they cannot make an omelet. Each time I've tried it, and each time, the omelet is dried out, overcooked and with barely any cheese on it. In an attempt to get the line moving, they take many orders at once, but then people wind up with the wrong combination of things on their plates, thus confusing matters more. I would almost rather have no "cooked to order" section and a greater selection of food on the buffet.

As a whole, this hotel is excellent and a wonderful place to stay. With a few tweaks (most notably to breakfast), this hotel could quickly go from excellent to outstanding. Still, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice hotel and a good value. Maybe just make alternate breakfast plans. :)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I usually stay at this hotel for business, and I always enjoy my stay. The staff is exceptionally friendly, professional, and accommodating. The 24 hour fitness room is quite nice and is equipped with two treadmills, two ellipticals, one bike, and two weight benches. They also have a dumbbell set with weights from 5 lbs to 50 lbs, medicine balls, and yoga mats. The swimming pool area is nice as well. They have a game/arcade room for children. I never went in, but it looked like the kids were enjoying it. The cooked-to-order breakfast in the morning was very nice and the manager's reception in the evening was great, and usually needed after a long day of work. Freddie is typically the bartender in the evening and he has his own special cocktail that is a must try. The hotel is a bit old and could use some renovations, but overall I've never been disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank QTPyePop
EmbassySuitesMemphis, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Thank you so much for your revue. It is our #1 priority to provide our guests with exceptional service and accommodations. Your feedback helps us to understand our guests’ needs and wants, so that we can continue to approve on these expectations. Also, at anytime during any future stays you feel we are not fulfilling those expectations. Please let us know.

Hospitably Yours,
Embassy Suites Memphis

Reviewed October 2, 2010

Great service, great rooms, but lobby noises are heard in the living room of your suites. Counldnt get my kids to sleep because of the noise.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank travelfanarkansas
Reviewed September 26, 2010

First time staying at this ES and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very large and the hotel atrium is beautiful. Breakfast is outstanding and the staff were very friendly. The only discrepancy I had was that the coffee cup in my room had mold on the bottom. Glad I noticed it before drinking from it. To their defense, the cup was wrapped in plastic (clear although) yet I was surprised since everything else was so clean. Highly recommend and will return.

• Stayed: September 2010