“A step back in time”

Memphis Music Attraction Discount Pass
Ranked #2 of 160 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Sun Studio - The place where an 18 year old Elvis Presley recorded his first song. It’s well-known in the music industry as "The Birthplace of Rock 'N' Roll" and the most famous recording studio in the world. Opened by rock pioneer Sam Phillips in 1950, this national Historic Landmark is where superstar musicians like Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and countless others started their recording careers. Today, Sun Studio still serves as a recording studio in the evenings while hosting public tours during the daytime hours.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Brilliant place to visit, our guide was well informed and very funny, a must see when you are in memphis

1  Thank Patricia H
Write a ReviewReviews (8,186)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a guided tour and well worth the price of admission. History of Sun and all the people who got their start here was very interesting.

1  Thank HulaGirl2007
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect when I went on this tour but I was highly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Out guide was fantastic and she had so much enthusiasm for the place. I learnt so much in my 40min tour that I didnt know before and I now have a new appreciation for blues and rock and roll. What is also good is that you can stand in the same spot Elvis or johnny cash did while they where recording! Very cool

1  Thank elena343
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I have been to Memphis numerous time, and we visited Sun Studio once before. The first time we did not take the tour and I am glad we did this time. The guide was very enthusiastic and entertaining. Although much of what we heard during the tour we already knew, it was wonderful hearing her tell it. They were very patient in allowing us to take our time doing photos. Even if you are not an Elvis fan or a music fan, just to see and be in the place where music history was made is pretty darned awesome. I highly recommend this little pilgrimage.

1  Thank shery b
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Knowledgeable, interesting, fun tour guide made this pilgrimage to this special place a great and informative tour.

1  Thank kclaibo

Been to Sun Studio? Share your experiences!